“A can't miss if in Tokyo!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Atelier Morimoto XEX

Atelier Morimoto XEX
Ranked #23 of 10,280 Restaurants in Minato
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Akasaka / Roppongi
Description: Established in 1987, named "XEX Club House" at that time, and known as the first "members only" venue in Japan, XEX quickly become one of the most popular spot in Tokyo, crowded not only with Japanese celebrities, but as well became a favoured destination of major Hollywood stars. Today, open for the public, restaurant Omae XEX is still attracting the Hi Life in Tokyo.
Louisville, Kentucky
“A can't miss if in Tokyo!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

My fiance and I had reservations for Saturday night, our last in Japan, at the sushi bar. It was absolutely pouring rain outside, but thankfully we were tipped off ahead of time that the entrance is somewhat hidden. So when the cab stopped in an alley in what appeared to a residential area our only clue we were in the right place was the strip of LED lights right to the door.

Once inside we were met with a pleasurable and attentive staff who immediately took our coats, umbrellas and seated us.

There is a nice calm and soothing ambiance and the wait staff is excellent and extremely attentive. Great sake selections.

We both chose the pre fixe specials with my fiance getting the small / moderate option and me getting the full gambit. Fortunately, we were also awarded the senior chef who immediately asked if we spoke any Japanese. We do not. However, we were able to communicate quite effectively with one another through the dinner. He went above and beyond and gave us many, many extras. Highlights include the toro tartare, wasabi infused roe, grilled toro nigiri and for me the kobe beef. We left full, happy and quite satisfied in the entire meal and experience.

Remember I said it was pouring when we arrived? Well it still was when it was time to leave. Just as I was about to ask the if someone could phone us a cab the manager approached and asked if we done and ready to leave. I said we were at which point we were told they had a limo waiting for us and their driver would take us anywhere we chose. Wonderful gesture and one we gladly accepted considering the conditions. When we are in Tokyo again we definitely be returning.

1 Thank itallushrt

NYC
“Great teppanyaki restaurant in Roppongi - awesome meal and incredible service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

I went to omae XEX last night (on my last night in Tokyo before flying back home) and it was the perfect way to end an unforgettable trip.

First - the service was excellent. I felt like a true celebrity. I came in and they were expecting me. They addressed me by my name the entire time so I felt like they truly appreciated that I was there.

Second - the restaurant itself is so cool! The ambiance is very dramatic. It's dark and the chef cooking on the teppanyaki grill is where the spotlights are. I highly recommend you sit at the grill on the counter, even if you are in a larger group as its truly part of the experience.

I had the tasting menu which included the chateaubriand Japanese beef. Perfection! The meat was so tender and juicy with no fat. Spectacular!
Also, the signature shrimp tartare was excellent and the little wasabi mash potato that comes with was out of the world. I had the garlic rice for the last portion of the meal and that was a nice touch.
Finished off the meal with ice cream with green tea poured on top. Sounds weird but it's delicious!!!!
The manager of the restaurant explained how to eat some of the dishes that came out, which was incredibly helpful and thoughtful.

When I finished my excellent meal and headed to the door, there was a waiter that helped me to the door and another person that helped me to the street carrying an umbrella. She looked very concerned when I told her I was not taking a cab which was really thoughtful and sweet.

Even though chef morimoto is no longer the chef at this restaurant, the food is still spectacular and the service is truly outstanding. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for a great meal and is not afraid to spend the money (my meal came out to about $140. So worth it!)

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
2 Thank minhaep
Vancouver Island, Canada
“The food and the staff were excellent.......”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Richard, Vancouver Canada.....

First of all, it took me a while to find the restaurant since I just followed directions on google map and the road signs in Tokyo were all written in Japanese.....My first impression of the restaurant isn't much...Looks kinda small from the outside but once you're inside, you are treated to a visual feast, the ambience and the décor of the restaurant is really stylish and classy.........The staff were all trained and courteous...I'd also like to make special mention of the manager and the hostess Anna......I am really sorry but I can't remember the name of the manager...My bad.....I should have asked for his card but he did speak good English since he mentioned he stayed in Toronto for a number of years.....Anna was very warm and accommodating right from the start and that great smile alone would have made the visit worthwhile......We were both from Manila originally and that warm Filipino hospitality made the place warm and less imposing......The manager and Anna made the dinner extra special since both of them were so courteous and attentive....Now for the food......The lobster and the abalone were exquisitely cooked....The beef is so tender...it literally melts in your mouth......Price might be a little steep but it's the best dinner and teppanyaki I've had......Definitely a must go if I ever visit Tokyo again........

2 Thank RichC0
Berlin, Germany
“Awesome Teppanyaki food! If you're in Tokyo, go there.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

The location is really stunning and stylish and the food is awesome - as well as the preparation and presentation. Look at my pictures and you know what I mean. If you're in Tokyo and you'd like to try Teppanyaki - go there. You definitely won't be disappointed. Reservation recommended.

3 Thank ThomasTravelTester
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food cooked in front of you. The Kobe beef was unbelievable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

We were taken to the restaurant by a client to celebrate a deal and had a set menu of 7 courses.

All was very well presented and explained. In addition to the Kobe beef the shrimp tartare was lovely.

Portion sizes were perfect for so many courses.

I'm not sure on the cost but I can't believe that it was cheap. However, it was a nice atmosphere with very helpful staff so would highly recommend.

• 4 of 5 stars