“great teppanyaki”

Ranked #21 of 11,638 Restaurants in Minato
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Grill
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Akasaka / Roppongi
Description: Established in 1987, named "XEX Club House" at that time, and known as the first "members only" venue in Japan, XEX quickly become one of the most popular spot in Tokyo, crowded not only with Japanese celebrities, but as well became a favoured destination of major Hollywood stars. Today, open for the public, restaurant Omae XEX is still attracting the Hi Life in Tokyo.
Reviewed September 7, 2012

very nice restaurant with great food.
Beautiful presentation and excellent food.
Chef was great
Just the right quantity of everything to leave feeling satisfied.
delicious flavorings
wonderful dinner

2  Thank lindas286

Reviewed August 29, 2012

ate here with a group of friends while in Tokyo and we had our own teppan yaki table and chef. Needless to say it was top notch. Perfect execution from the foie gras to the oversized prawn where the chef even prepared the head so that it was thin and crispy like a cracker, kobe beef and great selection of sake and shochu. Ended the night in their upstairs "lounge" with a very good selection of scotch and cuban cigars, what more could you want in Tokyo for a guys night out? oh yeah... well that came later. If you're in Tokyo and want a great dinner, well this one won't disappoint, but one thing.. make sure your hotel gives the address of the restaurant to your taxi driver in japanese, the phone number of the place won't hurt either. Our cabbie, while very nice, had some trouble finding this place. But once he did we were in for a treat.

1  Thank sailranger28
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I cannot praise this restaurant enough.

The decor is classy, fashionable and modern. They have a nice bar upstairs where you can have a drink before you go down to eat. When you make a reservation, specify that you want to be sat at one of the two main teppanyaki tables where the chefs cook in front of you. We made this mistake and were given a single table on the side but they changed it upon our request.

The service is second to none. We were looked after so well by the staff. A couple of examples:

1) we told them it was our honeymoon and they gave us a special cake in the dessert lounge upstairs and took a picture of us with their camera, making us both feel really special.
2) I asked the manager/possibly owner how to get to the Roppongi area, and he actually walked us all the way there and we had a great chat with him.

The food was incredible. The interaction with the chef was great and they made vegetarian food for my wife (difficult to find in Japan) and I had the beef, which just melted in my mouth and tasted great. My wife had tofu which she said was great.

Overall, our best evening out in Japan.

1  Thank Loveoftravel1234
Reviewed October 7, 2011

I went here with my wife and was EXTREMELY disappointed in the quality and type of beef (Kagoshima) offered. The beef had little to no marbling and the dry aged steak that my wife had was tough. I have lived in Japan for 5 years and this is the worst quality beef that I have ever had at a Teppanyakii restaurant by far.

The 2004 Brunello di Montalcino wine that I had was also terrible. I cant believe that Morimoto is serving such low quality beef and terrible wine at his restaurant. Perhaps this is why the place was empty on a Friday night. AVOID if you are looking for high quality Teppanyaki.

2  Thank TokyoLewis
Reviewed September 12, 2011

A wonderfully fitted out restaurant with attentive staff. The teppanyaki chefs were masterful in the preparation of the food. The abalone, lobster and high grade Japanese beef were of the highest quality. We very much enjoyed the "Comparing Foods" menu. The dining experience was faultless.

1  Thank SJKL