“Pizzakaya, Japan's Most Delicious Pizza” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pizzakaya Roppongi

Pizzakaya Roppongi
Ranked #82 of 10,526 Restaurants in Minato
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Akasaka / Roppongi
Onna-son, Japan
“Pizzakaya, Japan's Most Delicious Pizza”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Pizzakaya has by far, the best pizza in all Japan and I believe Asia for all that I have tasted. Derek Thomas is a pastry chef extraordinnaire (studied at the Culinary Institute of America) who has perfected the crust into a mouthwatering delight. The sauces are homemade and there is no skimping on the pizzas. Pepperoni is their #1 pizza and so delicious! Nothing skimped on any of the pizzas that we ate. My favorite pizza is the Santa Fe which is an amazing cheese pizza with sauteed onions, chunks of white meat smoked chicken and topped off w homemade guacamole..(I personally add a bit of tabasco to spice my slices up) but everyone certainly oohs and aahs over it. My husband's favorite is the Big Russell.......lots of amazing meats, sausages, smoked hams etc. Their selection of imported American craft beers are all of the highest quality....I found out that they are of exceptional flavors as they are transported chilled from the breweries til the time I drink it....all that to have that amazing great beer! Pizzakaya is a comfort to those from California, from the tri-state area and those who just really miss the authentic gourmet American cuisine!!! The service is always exceptional, food amazing and the atmosphere very comfortable and relaxing.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank janettedillerstone

Sentosa Island, Singapore
“My favorite place for pizza in Tokyo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We moved to Tokyo from the US in September 2011. I was looking for somewhere to eat just a couple days after arriving and found that the only menu written in English available to me was Pizzakaya. Since that first visit, we have been back time and again. My husband and I usually split a large pizza but he likes the Big Russell (all meat) and I prefer the Gourmet combo, which incorporates some vegetables.

I've tried the Hell's Sausage meatballs. Be warned: they are very spicy. Coming from Louisiana, I LOVE spicy food, but this may be the spiciest thing I've ever tried. I'm not sure what a previous reviewer means when they say appetizers are mostly over 1000 each. If he is speaking in terms of yen, that's incorrect. The prices on the appetizers are very reasonable, ranging from 680 yen for the Hell's Sausage meatballs (approx $8.50 USD) to 950 yen ($12) for Buffalo wings. Overall, I find their prices quite reasonable and they have the best point card deal in town. After you get stamps for purchasing 6 medium pizzas, you earn a free medium pizza. But you continue using the same card, and when you get to 10 medium (or 5 large) pizzas purchased, you earn a free large pizza.

Even though we have been to Pizzakaya often, I have never even thought about trying dessert there because I have always been too full to think about eating more after the pizza. But on a recent visit, I noticed they had lemon blueberry cheesecake so I got a piece to go. Not only was it absolutely delicious, the portion was enormous and unsurpassed in Tokyo, home of tiny portions (by American standards). Last week they had carrot cake and it was just as wonderful as the lemon blueberry cheesecake. You can bet I'll be getting dessert every time from here on out.

Another thing that we like about Pizzakaya is how they always have American movies in the dining room. On a recent visit, we saw Mr. Mom.

• Visited November 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A good change of pace while living in Japan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

A lot better than the Japanese pizza. The salad dressings are epic and the service is good and inclined to your every request.
On top of that they usually have 4 craft beers on tap for an interesting hoppy experience.
I'm sure to come back when I visit again when I go to Japan

Seattle, Washington
“Oasis in an overwhelming city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We chose this place based on two factors: we needed a place for dinner close to Mori Tower, and wanted some guaranteed veggie options. We'd been in Tokyo for several days and had been trying to eat only local Japanese food, but for a vegetarian who speaks little Japanese it's hard work. We were ready big-time to relax and eat something comforting and familiar, and were very happy with what we found here. The pizza was really tasty and a perfect size for two hungry Americans. We blew some major coin on a pitcher of Rogue Dead Guy Ale but it was worth it. Everyone here was friendly and the food arrived very quickly. I left full, which is a feeling I hadn't had in three days. I'd recommend for anyone needing a good old American pizza fix or wanting to feel at home for an hour before venturing out into the unfamiliar again.

• Visited October 2012
Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, Japan
“Comfort food for Americans”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

I had a great time at this little joint. For an Australian it really is like being on holiday in the US. It's the booth seating (crammed with expats,) the California beers, creative fair on the pizza menu (Sante Fe and Taco pizza) and the continuous screening of classic movies on a big tv on the wall. Star Wars: the Empire Strikes Back was a nostalgic distraction while I enjoyed a pint of Green Flash Imperial IPA, although at 9.4 alc one is enough! Local expats love this place - it does have the 'cheers' mentality.

• 3 of 5 stars