“Great food! Ambiance a bit too casual for a special dinner.”

L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon
Ranked #28 of 11,283 Restaurants in Minato
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Akasaka / Roppongi
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I love JR's restaurants and like to try them in different cities. The food is always just top notch... and so was the case with L'Atelier in Tokyo.

After much deliberation on what to eat (there are multiple choices ranging from the chef's menu - Y14,000+, set menus and ala carte menu), we settled on set Menu B (appetizer, soup, entree and dessert at Y8,800 per head).

We loved the amuse bouche (creamy peppered pork served atop a perfectly toasted french bread), the half boiled egg with mushroom and asparagus appetizer (it won over the hubby's crab dish), the chestnut cream soup (over the foie gras ravioli in chicken consomme) and both the fish mains (sea bream with vegetables and john dory with lentil puree). But the highlight of the evening was my poached pear dessert (hubby's chocolate ganache was good too, but no competition) with cinnamon tartlet on the side - absolutely divine and highly recommended!

We were absolutely stuffed but couldn't resist the excellent petit fours.

The setting seemed a bit casual (much prefer the ambiance at the L'Atelier in HK) for a special occasion dinner and it was disappointing that our servers could not speak proper English to describe our dishes.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Sat at the bar. It was my first time in Tokyo and this was my first stop after a long flight. A bit of a warning: wine pours in Tokyo are 4 ounces and they aren't quick to refill the glass. I recommend ordering a bottle! I started with a king crab, mozzarella salad with some sort of citrus vinaigrette. It was the BEST salad I have ever had. While sitting at the bar you can see the chefs and you quickly learn to respect how difficult it is to work in a busy restaurant. It was such an amazing experience.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

I went here for lunch with some friends. We went specifically for the cheap '1900' Yen course menu, but were disappointed to find that there was no fish option that day (just pork ribs or roast chicken). The food included a small spinach pastry as an amuse, an appetizer, main, and dessert. It was fine, but not particularly creative or inspiring. I found the service a bit suffocating and was surprised when we were charged a 10% service fee. But if you are a big fan of French Cuisine and/or the Robuchon name, this could be the lunch place for you. The baked goods were yummy!

You apparently must get there early if you want the cheaper course....otherwise you have a regular menu of approximately 3000 or 4000 Y. You can make a reservation for lunch.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Nothing but ordinary. If you like to wait and to eat retro.....this is the place. Food presentation with no harmony or interest, no imagination and quite frankly super expensive for what you get. Much better restaurants around town, better food, better atmosphere, better service. Not impress and so the other 7 guests siting at my table

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We had dinner here the other day, and it was fantastic!! My husband had the Autumn Course, which included truffles, fois gras, etc. I had the duck, and everything was very good. Service is good too. It's set in a very casual atmosphere, but the quality of food and service is top notch.
Definitely would like to go again!

1  Thank pineappleprincess92