“Couldn't see for smoke”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Shinagawa / Gotanda
Reviewed March 1, 2014

We really wanted to go here but couldn't stand the odour at the front door; I went inside to see if there was a well-delineated smoke-free area but of course there wasn't. Even 2 minutes in their atmosphere left my clothes smelling horribly. So I ca't review the food because there was no way we were going to stay there. We tried twice, and both times were the same.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I was looking forward to eating here. This was my second time in 8 months and both times was about the same. This time (January 2014) I had the following experience:

Ordered biggest steak on menu (See photo). Ordered medium and it came medium rare. Steak was small. Potato was small. Cost was about 3100 Yen so about $31. Soda was another $4. Came with soup or salad and I got the soup. This time it was Potato soup which was very watery ...not a very good soup.

The hostess told me I could only have the table for two hours in case they got busy. This was funny because I was alone and the place was almost empty. However...as with most Japan the staff was very nice.

This place was not very good. Any Japanese steak would be much better and the price was silly for what was provided. If you want a better steak....there is another chain American restaurant just across the street. I don't mind spending this much for a good steak...but even considering the normal smaller Japanese portions this was less than adequate.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

If you miss US food you could think you were back in the US with the decor, music and menu of this chain restaurant. The service is excellent like you come to expect of Japanese restaurants and if you like Outback food in the US you will enjoy it here as well. The main reason we returned to The Outback is that they have a true non-smoking area to dine in though you have to walk through at time heavy cigarette smoke are to get to it. In general we found non-smoking dining to be rare in Tokyo.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We had a wonderful meal here with great service. Food quality and taste was excellent. Thoroughly recommend it. Price was a bit steep but hey, it's Japan, expect to pay high prices.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

We had been in China for 11 days and in need of a bit of steak...the Outback not only did the teak but also had Happy Hour from 5-7pm. Really friendly, great food and reasonably priced.