“Japanese, but not quite”
Review of Gonpachi Odaiba

Gonpachi Odaiba
Ranked #172 of 10,878 Restaurants in Minato
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Bar
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Odaiba / Shiodome / Shinbashi
Singapore, Singapore
“Japanese, but not quite”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

When a restaurant has inspired a famous scene in a movie you like, you have to go there. and apparently Gonpachi inspired the killing scene in Kill Bill - which sound likely once you step into the restaurant.

This also makes the restaurant incredibly popular and therefore we were able to only get 2 seats at the counter.

While it serves japanese food, the atmosphere is very un-Japanese. It was the most frenetic restaurant I ate at and all the staff seemed to be whizzing around. The food was better than I expected it to be, though at a premium given the restaurants' popularity. Service was not as efficient though and I had to remind someone twice before I got a glass of water.

It's good for one visit but not sure if I would go there again.

• Visited May 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Milan, Italy
“Cool”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I visited this place in march and found a very good selction of dishes, all of them very good and tasty. The location, inside a shopping mall, is not the best, but the view from the restaurant is amazing, looking at the rainbow bridge and the skyline of Tokyo.
We tried some appetizers and some of them were really delicious and we took them twice. Very good also the soba noodles and the rice in the pot.
The service was excellent, in particular a young irish japanese waitress, who was was always ready to anticipate your needs and fast in serving us and the other guests.
To try.

• Visited March 2013
Parkland
“Good skewered meats, a nice meal”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

A group of us visiting Japan ate at Gonpachi the end of February 2013. We knew of the place from the movie Kill Bill inspired by it. We made reservations, and went there. Initially there was a long wait still, and they wanted to seat us downstairs with no view. That defeated the point of coming here. We asked for upstairs, and waited considerably longer. We were offered a purple colored juice like beverage while waiting.
Finally we were seated, took off our shoes and enjoyed our meal and drinks. The food was good, we had a variety of various meat skewers of chicken, duck, and beef. We had a variety of appetizers as well that we all also enjoyed. The miso soup was good too.

• Visited February 2013
San Jose del Cabo, Mexico
“Excellent view!”
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

I loved this place as i was looking for a traditional japanese restaurant, loved the place, the food and the view was spectacular! The prices are really good and there are many choices. I also liked to be able to get my own salad, soup and drinks..i really recommend this place and i hope i can return soon!

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just average..”
Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

Quite a well known eating spot, I guess, with it being the filming location of Kill Bill..
Liked the atmosphere of the place, somewhat intimate..
But if you came to eat, I can't say the food is the best.. It's good at the very least, but not extraordinaryly so..
The sushi selection is meager, and it probably doesn't taste that good either, I wouldn't know, wasn't really interested to order..
I did try their skewered dishes, and it's eatable.. I suppose if you go there for a drink with some friends and order the side dishes then you might like Gonpachi a lot more than I did..