“Very beautiful presentation with average taste”
Review of NARISAWA

NARISAWA
Ranked #4 of 11,708 Restaurants in Minato
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Akasaka / Roppongi
Reviewed May 20, 2014

Narisawa did not live up to its hype in taste. However, they excelled in creativity. Out of all the top 50 restaurants I've visited, Narisawa is the one with the prettiest presentation (my sisters are yelling in the back that Noma and El Bulli are better, but I beg to differ). We had wine pairing with our meal. Thumbs up to the connoisseur as he definitely picked the right wine/sake to complement the food.

The restaurant itself has a very nice ambience. Service was excellent. The chef himself came out after the climax of the meal was served (wagyu beef in our case) to offer to have our pictures taken with him.

Best dish of the night was the grilled chi ayu. As for the wagyu, it was coated with charcoal and personally, I like my beef grilled without anything but salt and pepper. Dessert tray was the highlight of our night. They offered so many different types of sweets. If you have room left to try all, then try it all!

Overall, a very nice experience. Unfortunately the taste is only average.

2  Thank cintasejati

Reviewed May 16, 2014

We are a couple having gone to Narisawa for the first time. Before going, highly recommend to research what the chef, Narisawa is about. He is an avant-garde artist who will take you on 10 courses of his theme adventure, focused on nature and local produce. I admit I did not like all dishes served, but that's expected due to individual taste in food. But the way they were served and thought that went into it was second to none. e.g. there were 3 courses of desserts. First was light fruity drink served with a little bit of vodka in cocktail glass, then strawberry, yoghurt sorbet and green tea "kochi". Sounds normal, but it was served in custom made glass in a format that was so rare. Then you could select your own small sweets from the tray. They were sequenced so that it transitioned smoothly starting from light to heavier sweets e.g. chocolates if you wanted. For 2.5 hours, we were attended to every time we stood up to go to toilet, pulling out and in chairs, folding napkins.. sure you pay for service fee on top of GST and meal, but overall, 29000yen for 2 people for lunch was cheap for what we got! Best part was that Narisawa himself was in the kitchen overseeing the meals. Not all top restaurant chefs are in their restaurants anymore. But he did and also at the end of the meal, he went to every table to greet all customers. He is no snob. I highly recommend it for the experience, as if to be transported onto a journey of creativity. While food is unique and artistic it's not the best focus of this restaurant - so I think.

Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

I can't imagine anyone giving this place a bad review. The food was so delicious. The creativity of the chef showed in every dish. They actually bake bread for you at the table. Crazy!! The bread was so good and had a mandarine orange flavor. All the dishes were great. One of my favorites was the squid. The service was top notch. Our sommelier was very friendly and informative. I would definitely return to this place on my next tokyo trip.

1  Thank xrayeyes7
Reviewed May 4, 2014

This was the restaurant I most looked forward to in my 19 days in Japan. The food in general is tasty but not great. They serve dirt water(soil - that's what they called it there.) in one of the courses, personally I think this is an insult as we paid for the whole degustation menu which won't allow us to pick and choose what to eat, why would the chef include something like that in the menu. That means we were paying around 20AUD to drink dirt water. Some wait-staff looked down their nose at diners. very pretentious. It was not worth the price tag and hurt feelings.

8  Thank Food_passion_Kae
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Amazing amazing amazing
There is nothing else to be said !!!
Food was spectacular drinks were perfect can't fault this place at all