“Best restaurant ever by far.” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Akasaka / Roppongi
New York City, New York
“Best restaurant ever by far.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

The food is exceptional, there are no words and the creativity is beyond... Each single meal is jaw dropping and... surprising....
This should be taken as a privilege to be hosted by such a charming and humble couple.
Sure this is pricy but compared to a lot of "3 stars Michelin", I've never spent better on a dinner.
Needless to mention the atmosphere and the beautifully balanced design of the place.

• Visited December 2012
5 Thank vincevernet

• Finnish first
Hong Kong
“Hidden Gem, been 3 times!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Note - review's a bit dated (2007, 2008, 2010). My favorite restaurant of all time even as a picky foodie from Hong Kong. And I have had the chance to eat at many fine Michelin establishments such as Alinea in Chicago (chef Takazawa is good friends with Achatz btw), Jean-Georges, Waterside Inn, Ledoyen to name a few...

The first time I ate here back in 2007, I secretly wanted to marry the chef. Yes, it was that good. I was simply wowed by the level of creativity, fine execution and intimacy of the dining space as well as warm service. I went back a year later in 2008, and kind Akiko (Takazawa's wife) was kind enough to customize our menu such that we could discover Takazawa's new innovations. My most recent visit in March of 2010, I asked the chef to cook at my future wedding and he agreed!

Wonderful people, amazing establishment and passion for good food. Please book way ahead of time!

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank puristones
Tokyo, Japan
“An Experience and Dinner not to be forgotten”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My friend and I celebrated her (belated) birthday at Takazawa (you must reserve several months ahead to get a table). We had the Chef's Tasting nine-course dinner with recommended bubbly (for me).

An awesome experience, the (unlisted) appetizer looked too good to eat, and tasted even better than expected. Each item on the menu was unique, each with own personality of taste & sight. Everything was finely crafted, meticulously prepared and delicious of taste & sight (wathcing them prepare each item on the stainless steel central counter was quite a sight...).

We spent three hours savoring the food, ambience and Akiko & Chef Takazawa's blend of personality, education on food & ingredients and fine balance of traditional Japanese food culture with rigorous gourmet standards. Yet it seemed we were there only so short a time!

And the birthday takeaway also gave a unique take, as the adjacent table (a party of six, the dining area has room only for ten) had a chicken roast as their choice of dinner fare. Both celebrants came away highly satisfied indeed.

Takazawa is not for everybody. If you value the highest quality experience with the highest quality gourmet fare, it is Highly Recommended. Words alone do not do it justice -> you must go and take the Takazawa experience.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank JeffYB
Muscat, Oman
“Been everywhere and this is one of the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

We came to Tokyo at the end of our honeymoon and had booked this restaurant 3 months in advance. My expectations were quite high since I had eaten at El Bulli, Fat Duck, Noma, and many more fine restaurants all over the world and had read some wonderful reviews on chef Takazawa's exceptionally prepared mouth watering feast that we were about to consume. I must also mention that while we were in Tokyo we also went to the three michelin starred Creations de Narisawa which was very good but compared to where we were eating, a distant second. The adventure started a month before our journey when we received an email asking about our dietary requirements and familiarizing us with the restaurant, it's location, the Chef's philosophy and above all warning the ladies not to put on too much perfume. Of course that as it was explained to us would interfere with our taste buds :)
The food which is why we came was probably the finest 13 courses I have ever had. Without divulging any of the food which is prepared by the chef on his special table in front of the only two tables in the restaurant was heavenly and watching him lovingly prepare every dish was a bonus. A fantastic place that serves only two or three tables. I would go there every time I visit Tokyo. A must once in your life before the chef becomes too popular!

4 Thank Buddakhan
London, United Kingdom
“best meal ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

It is not possible to do the Takazawa restaurant (as it is now called, shortened from the previous Aronia de Takazawa) justice. My husband and I decided to treat ourselves during our recent trip to Japan, upon recommendation from a gourmet friend. We had the full 11-course chef's selection tasting menu with wine pairing (plus another 3 amuse-bouche courses) - we were there for almost 4 hours. Each dish was a work of art and absolutely delicious: so creative in composition and flavour, imaginatively presented and tasty - undoubtedly the best meal we have ever had, beats any Michelin-starred restaurant we have ever eaten in hands down.

Some of the dishes are described in the earlier comments - the new additions of "Bouillabaisse with Beer (?)", "BEIE Salad", "Reds" and "Bellini" were excellent, but we also loved the old classics such as "Dinner in the Forest" (served on a log) and "Candleholder".

The booking now only opens 3 months in advance (I recommend checking the exact date you can book as it must fill up almost immediately, with only 3 tables) and is handled by the charming Chef's wife Akiko (a completely fluent English-speaker) who also served us the food and explained the story behind each dish. They only have 1 sitting and can accomodate up to 10 people, I think. It makes for a very relaxing, intimate atmosphere.

The place can indeed by a little tricky to find, but if you follow the map provided on the website exactly (even though the street you will be turning into may seem too insignificant), you should locate the door easily (it is then one flight of stairs up straight into the restaurant). We approached it from the north: from Sotobori-dori turn into Akasaka-dori, it is the first street on your right almost immediately.

It is undoubtedly expensive but an experience of a lifetime (if you think I am exaggerating, read the other reviews!).

• Visited August 2012