“best meal ever”

Cuisines: French, Japanese, Contemporary, Fusion
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Akasaka / Roppongi
Reviewed September 26, 2012

It is not possible to do the Takazawa restaurant (as it is now called, shortened from the previous Aronia de Takazawa) justice. My husband and I decided to treat ourselves during our recent trip to Japan, upon recommendation from a gourmet friend. We had the full 11-course chef's selection tasting menu with wine pairing (plus another 3 amuse-bouche courses) - we were there for almost 4 hours. Each dish was a work of art and absolutely delicious: so creative in composition and flavour, imaginatively presented and tasty - undoubtedly the best meal we have ever had, beats any Michelin-starred restaurant we have ever eaten in hands down.

Some of the dishes are described in the earlier comments - the new additions of "Bouillabaisse with Beer (?)", "BEIE Salad", "Reds" and "Bellini" were excellent, but we also loved the old classics such as "Dinner in the Forest" (served on a log) and "Candleholder".

The booking now only opens 3 months in advance (I recommend checking the exact date you can book as it must fill up almost immediately, with only 3 tables) and is handled by the charming Chef's wife Akiko (a completely fluent English-speaker) who also served us the food and explained the story behind each dish. They only have 1 sitting and can accomodate up to 10 people, I think. It makes for a very relaxing, intimate atmosphere.

The place can indeed by a little tricky to find, but if you follow the map provided on the website exactly (even though the street you will be turning into may seem too insignificant), you should locate the door easily (it is then one flight of stairs up straight into the restaurant). We approached it from the north: from Sotobori-dori turn into Akasaka-dori, it is the first street on your right almost immediately.

It is undoubtedly expensive but an experience of a lifetime (if you think I am exaggerating, read the other reviews!).

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Ranks as one of the best restaurants I've ever been to in the world. Simply stunning food and great service. I went to many great restaurants during my travelling in Japan, but this one was just a level above the others.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I travel to Japan quite often for business. I have Often dined at this restaurant. They have lovely food, excellent service and wonderful atmosphere. Highly recommended!

2  Thank 111Monk
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Hard to find venue, despite given good map. However, after ascending the exquisitely designed stairs and entering the dining room (the washroom is another feast - for the eyes), we received friendly great service from the team led by Akiko. An experience unsurpassed by any I have had in Australia. This is dining at a different level, and may not be everyone's idea of a feed because it pushes boundaries and conjures tastes you think you have sorted out since infancy! A truly surreal journey as each course excites all senses. I loved the "5 seafood planets" served in a flying saucer shaped "bowl"...what genius. Cost for 3......about Yen 95K which included a glass of sake and wine and tea. Was it worth it? Undoubtedly.... if you look at it this way. I will remember this meal 10 years from now. I do not believe that I shall remember three $150 meals from Sydney following the same timespan.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

Impossible to do Aronia de Takazawa justice. Takazawa san's creations are each more fantastic than the last, explained in detail by the attentive and friendly Akiko (his wife). The presentation of each dish is remarkable and he conjures flavours that I did not know existed. I cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough, I doubt I will have a better or more enjoyable meal anywhere else.

Book early!