“Fantastic experience, if you can afford it.”

Roppongi Inakaya (Higashi)
Ranked #2,070 of 11,638 Restaurants in Minato
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Akasaka / Roppongi
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I second what most other reviewers have mentioned, the ambience and experience is amazing. Over poured sake, grilled red snapper, wagyu beef, asparagus, toro (raw), ginko beans, scallops, shrimp, I was in absolute heaven.

You shouldn't go if you need to ask what the prices are for each item. It's extremely pricey.

1  Thank MarkSYWong

Reviewed July 30, 2011

This place is great fun and really good and honest food. Yes, it is a bit touristic but still very very special and absolutely a most go while in Tokyo.

But I agree with the other reviewers that it is not cheap, however you are in Tokyo sure hope you did not expect it to be cheap.

Reviewed March 16, 2011

Don't get me wrong... The food is not bad. However I cannot say the food is bad in any of the restaurants I've been in Tokyo.
That said, the food was pretty basic. Grilled skewers of meat, grilled vegetables, grilled fish, grilled you-name-it. You can have that in any "Yakitori" type restaurant for a fraction of the cost. Except perhaps for the seafood. However again... my red snapper was not the freshest fish I've ever had and I can't say it was perfectly grilled either. Even if it was, a 200 grams fish on a skewer, cannot have a price tag with two zeros........
Would be happy with the restaurant if we had paid 1/3 of what we actually paid. I am really struggling to find what we bought with that extra 2/3.

2  Thank dimisc
Reviewed October 29, 2010

If I was sentenced to death and had to pick my last meal, this would be the restaurant I would select. I have been to the main Roppongi location about a dozen times and have never had anything but a fantastic experience. Yes, ti's not cheap. But the qulaity of the food is second to none and the service and the ambiance are also superb. Sure, it is kind of a show for wealthy Japanese and wealthy tourists. And it caters to people with an American Express Card and an expense account. So this is not your Asia on $ 20 a day kind of place. But if you want a great experience and really love freshly prepared Japanese food, I'd say go for it. I particularly loce the grilled whole snapper which can be pricey, and I love the grilled vegetables too which typically are much less expensive.

The servers, who are the grill cooks, take your order and then repeat it back to you. You can just point if yuou don't know the Japanese name. Once the server has repeated your order, all the other servers repeat it in loud unison. So in a busy restaurant, and Inakaya is always busy, it is a loud and slightly raucous experience. This happens even if you order a beer. The food is grilled from its beautiful raw state and delivered to you shortly thereafter, perfectly grilled over open coal / flames, palce simply on a plate and passed to you ona long handled wooden serving spatula.

I highly reccomend Inakaya in Roppongi.

1  Thank Rich_F_4779
Reviewed July 1, 2010

We went to Inakaya East in June 2010 (they now have another one in Roppongi called Inakaya West, as well as one in the Ginza). It was great fun, but very expensive, so be prepared. At the East one it seems they no longer do the clapping at the end of the chefs' shifts that you can see in various YouTube videos. There's still quite a bit of yelling among the waiters and the chefs including loud announcements of everything you order and anytime you go to the loo. Nothing is priced so the bill can be a bit of a shock at the end of the night. Easily $100-150 or more depending on what you order - we paid 30,000 Y for 2 and the people next to us paid 40,000 Y for 3. The larger the crowd on hand the better as this results in more yelling and more activity by the chefs who prepare everything right in front of you and are busier than when fewer people are there. We had the whole fish (red snapper), shrimp, crab legs, corn and potatoes. All were excellent.