“Tradition and innovation in Tokyo” 5 of 5 bubbles

Nihonryori RyuGin
Ranked #31 of 10,870 Restaurants in Minato
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Akasaka / Roppongi
Description: We are a small Japanese restaurant on a corner of Roppongi and openned our restaurant on December 23, 2003. To prepare Japanese cuisine and present the amazing ingredients of Japan to customers daily is sharing the spirit of "Wa (harmony)" with many people and convey the richness of the whole of Japan, and provide a space to admire a moment of a delicious banquet together. The dinner and the preparer resonate with each other through the food and recognize the preciousness of the richness of Japan... To be able to convey this everyday with pride to people might be akin to doing our important "national duty" for Japan. As a Japanese cuisine chef with this sense of a self imposed mission I felt during my training, I opened this small Japanese restaurant on December 23, which is a special day in Japan with the feeling of raising the flag of Japan. The origin of our name "RyuGin" comes from the words of "Zen", and is derived from "龍吟雲起(RyuGin-Unki)". During my training, I came across a book of “Zen” and within it, a hidden meaning of "龍吟雲起(RyuGin-Unki)"... "When a heroic person makes a decision and takes action, his comrades will mutually resonate and gather there..." That lesson moved my heart, and made me decide on the name of my restaurant.
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Tradition and innovation in Tokyo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2011

RyuGin is an amazing restaurant - far from anything I have experienced before. They have two michelin stars and being very small, no need to say, reservations are a must.
There is a tasting menu, and also the option to order a la carte, but the tasting menu is the way to go. The chef Seiji Yamamoto prepares a Japanese cuisine that stands firmly in tradition, but still manages to implement a lot of modern techniques and innovative flavor combinations. The food is very interesting for a foreigner and the flavors, even if at times slightly under-seasoned for a westerner, are the essence of Japan. The ingredients they use are all top-notch and you can really feel it in the end product.
The dining room service is an school example of perfection. Waiters move in a ninja-like fashion and you hardly notice them at times.
The sake pairings with the food is also something extraordinary. And if you would like to know more about sake, ask the restaurant manager and sommelier, Arimasa, and he will gladly explain about this magic drink in a detailed fashion.
All in all a mind-blowing experience! But of course, being in Japan and eating at this level has its price...

• Visited October 2010

• Korean first
Wormer, The Netherlands
“Outstanding modern Japanese”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2011

The dinner we had at RyuGin was one of the best in our lifetime, and we have eaten at many restaurants with 1, 2 or 3 Michelin stars. RyuGin has 2 stars, but the 3rd cannot be far away.

We had a 10 course degustation and everything was very tasty, cooked to perfection and very well presented. What added to the experience was that the staff speaks good English (one is actually French, but speaks English well) and explained everything very well.

On top of that the Japanese sommelier is very good and came up with an excellent sake & wine pairing with rare sakes and cru French wines. Be warned though that this can turn out to be quite expensive -- we ended up paying 98,000 yen for two people of which almost half was due to the wine. We learned a lot about sake, which was great. If you have never tasted really good sake (we had not), then you are in for a treat! The sake is served cold in wine glasses and very elegant / not as heavy of many of the cheaper sakes that are often served warm.

Because this is modern Japanese rather than traditional, the taste is more compatible with Western palates. Together with the English speaking wait staff, this is a recommendation for anyone visiting Tokyo if you can afford it.

Our favorite dishes included monkfish liver (kind of like foie gras) and a mix of 30 different vegetables with each vegetable cooked and seasoned seperately. The wagyu was also excellent, as was the sashimi dish.

• Visited February 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Stefan_Boer
California
“The BEST meal and experience we’ve ever had!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2010

This review is long overdue. This was by most the best meal we’ve ever had, not just Tokyo or Japan. My husband and I love to travel and we travel all over the world for food and wine. This is our most memorable meal, the food, service and even the handmade ceramic dishes the food was served in were incredible. We’ll definitely go back again when we’re in Tokyo again. It was pricy, but it’s worth every penny. It would be a real shame if you don’t go to this place at least once, if you’re in Tokyo.

1 - Yuba, Maitake, clams & microgreen
2 - Hokkaido Uni chawanmushi, dashi gelatin & baby leeks
3 - 6-hour braised abalone, Kyoto potato croquette in ginger sauce
4 – Matsuba crab, Matsutake, crab cabbage dumpling in crab dashi (The best crabmeat and dumpling)
5 – Steamed Blue crab with soy apple vinegar jelly, sashimi of Hirame, toro & squid
6 – Poached Monkfish liver in puree of salsify dashi
7 – Grilled black-throated Perch encrusted in crispy rice, Matsutake & chestnut shavings
8 – Wagyu beef, sunchokes, fig, persimmons & pine nuts encrusted Shiitake
9 – Japanese rice with baby fish, mustard green, Miso soup, pickled vegetables maki & green tea
10 – Japanese orange granita
11 – Green tea, soy & coconut gelatin cake
12 – Japanese blinis with sweet potato & chestnut

3 Thank TopCatWaWa
Villa Park, California
“Going back a third time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2010

I don't remember how I first found out about this hidden gem. I had eaten at WD-50 in NYC previously and someone told me this is the WD-50 of Tokyo. Wow what a meal. We had the Spring Gastronomy Dinner. Fantastic. The piece de resistance was the minus196 degree candy apple. A deconstructed and then reconstructed apple. When you strike it with your spoon, it shatters, and the inside is filled with frozen apple that just melts in your mouth with super intense flavor.

I was so good I returned several months later on another trip to Japan with some Japanese Chef friends of mine. We had a sake pairing and again a to die for meal. My friends were duly impressed.

The meal was so good I am going back a third time with my daughter for her 17th birthday in March 2010.

The restaurant can be a bit hard to find as it is behind a rather unobtrusvie door without obvious signage. But it is well worth the effort.

3 Thank dr_elliott_brender
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“2* GM - food wise this restaurant reaches 3 stars, amazing japanese experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2009

2* GM - food wise this restaurant reaches 3 stars, amazing japanese experience!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook