“Lovely meal”

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Akasaka / Roppongi
Description: We are a small Japanese restaurant on a corner of Roppongi and openned our restaurant on December 23, 2003. To prepare Japanese cuisine and present the amazing ingredients of Japan to customers daily is sharing the spirit of "Wa (harmony)" with many people and convey the richness of the whole of Japan, and provide a space to admire a moment of a delicious banquet together. The dinner and the preparer resonate with each other through the food and recognize the preciousness of the richness of Japan... To be able to convey this everyday with pride to people might be akin to doing our important "national duty" for Japan. As a Japanese cuisine chef with this sense of a self imposed mission I felt during my training, I opened this small Japanese restaurant on December 23, which is a special day in Japan with the feeling of raising the flag of Japan. The origin of our name "RyuGin" comes from the words of "Zen", and is derived from "龍吟雲起(RyuGin-Unki)". During my training, I came across a book of “Zen” and within it, a hidden meaning of "龍吟雲起(RyuGin-Unki)"... "When a heroic person makes a decision and takes action, his comrades will mutually resonate and gather there..." That lesson moved my heart, and made me decide on the name of my restaurant.
Corvallis, Oregon
“Lovely meal”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We traveled to Japan primarily for the purpose of having one of the world's best Japanese dinners. It did not disappoint. The staff was helpful and friendly, with excellent English. The courses were explained and when necessary told how to eat them. Such as one of the desserts, "Two Grapes" which had one on a pick next to another in a bowl. We were to eat the one on the pick whole, first. It turned out to be fizzy carbonated and exploded with flavor in my mouth. The other one had been frozen in liquid nitrogen and was broken open to show a sharp powder which was then covered in a warm sauce by our server. Delightful.

Sure it was expensive, but the autumn seasonal presentation was a delight for all of the senses. Fresh seafood, matsutake mushrooms and abalone, wagyu beef with a warm somehow crispy poached egg over it sukiyaki style, it was all wonderful. The room is small and well decorated. Some things were just perfect, like a slice of pear in ginger. We will always remember this dinner fondly.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Try once and form your opinion”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I tried at least 10 times in Ryugin over the last 5 years. I think the restaurant is becoming more arrogant. It's worth trying once as the food is very good and some of the dishes are quite creative. However, it's not cheap and unless you have a large entertainment budget, you will be thinking twice when you want to make the second visit. Again, worth visiting it but I am rating as poor given that I have seen a better days of Ryugin.

1 Thank UmaiUmai
Chennai (Madras), India
“Good seasonal menu”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

The food was very good, presentation was classy and the restaurant went to the extent of arranging for an English speaking server for us. Wanted to be blown away with the concept of food... just left a tad unfulfilled.... but nonetheless, was a dinner to cherish for some time.

“Lives up to the hype”
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

Spectacular meal with surprises at each turn. Excellent service from a French waitress so we did not feel left out. Great wine and sake list. Chef even came out to say goodnight to us. True 3 star excellence

Sydney, Australia
“Experimental - Try the a la carte”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

If I hadn't gone to Aronia de Takazawa and Les Creations des Narisawa, this would easily be the most incredible meal of my life. While LCN was polished and slow paced, RyuGin was the complete opposite. Elegantly presented food that you recognised, versus experimental food. Food that melted in your mouth, versus food that exploded in your mouth. Is this a bad thing? Not at all, but they are completely different.

I visited ryugin in August 2011, before they received their third star, it was busy then, but I can imagine it will be even harder to get in now. Make a booking on the day (mid-week will increases your chances of getting in) and try the a la carte menu.

I reviewed all three restaurants on my blog:

• Visited September 2011