Claska
$107
$103
$83
$75
Grand Residence Nakameguro(Meguro)(Great Value!)
$83
$117
$87
JAPANiCAN.com
$65
Agoda.com
Ryokan
All reviewsmeguro stationboutique hoteldesign shopstatami roomevent spaceretro vibehuge bedminute walknearest trainjapanese twistcool hotelfun place to staylocal neighborhoodtraditional roomneeds renovationipod docklovely boutique
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stayed at the Claska for 3 nights in September and had a great stay. I transferred to this hotel for a personal stay after being in Tokyo for a week for business. After coming from a very business-oriented hotel, I was happy to be in a design-centric, chic hotel that was full of hip Japanese locals, friendly staff and chic visitors. It was also incredibly affordable. Worth noting, however, that it is in a relatively difficult to reach, but very local, part of the city.

The room I stayed in was Room 702, which is an artist-decorated room. It was VERY unique, and certainly not for everyone. It was like staying in an art installation, and the furniture and furnishings were lined and accented with (no joke) mutilated stuffed animals (see my attached photos). The bed in my room was a bit uncomfortable, though, to be honest. The hotel has several types of rooms, so you can of course choose a room that suits your taste. The rooms are all relatively small, which is typical in Tokyo, and the bathroom in mine was a bit lackluster. That being said, the toiletries were top notch and service was great. I don't know if they do room service well, as I opted to eat in the chic hotel restaurant for breakfast and dinner when at the hotel.

The thing that really set this hotel apart for me was the vibe of the hotel. The lobby bar and restaurant had a consistent cast of effortlessly cool design types, mostly Japanese. The decor of the lobby was very chic. The staff, also, were incredibly friendly and helpful, great with giving directions and offering to help with anything I may have needed assistance with (asking if I needed a towel when coming in from the rain, offering to book me a ticket to the Ghibli Museum when I expressed interest in going, organizing my trip back to Narita Airport, etc.) The second floor has a design shop, called Do, which is full of great finds by local designers and artists. And the third floor played host to private parties and events each night that I was there, further filling the hotel with the cool, artistic locals which make this hotel just so effortlessly hip.

The only downside that needs to be mentioned about this hotel is the location in proximity to central Tokyo. I was a bit shocked at how difficult it was to reach by train, and how expensive it was to reach by cab. A relatively short cab ride from Shibuya cost me about $25 - $30, and the closest train station is a 15 minute walk away. The more convenient train station (part of Tokyo Metro rather than on the JR line) is located a short bus ride away, or a 25 minute walk. This means that if you are sightseeing for the day, you basically will be out all day and not able to make a pit stop back at the hotel to refuel or rest. Also, after a long day sightseeing, you probably won't want to trek back into the city for nightlife or dinner unless you splurge on a cab, which as mentioned is quite expensive.

Nonetheless, part of the charm of this place is that it's in a very local neighborhood, Meguro, which is full of non-touristy restaurants and shops, full of design shops and antique stores along Meguro-dori, and in close proximity to the equally hip neighborhoods of Daikanyama and Nakameguro.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel for someone on their second or third trip to Toyko, who wants a more local, unique feel and doesn't mind relaxing in the evenings at the hotel or exploring the local neighborhood in their downtime rather than trekking back and forth into central Tokyo.

Room Tip: If you want a unique stay, choose and artist designed room. Also, the hotel has rooms available that are not always listed on their website, and are very responsive on email to room requests and inquiries.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank JetsetNick
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Claska was a bit of lucky find. Very hip and beautifully designed, Claska was a great stay for a someone flying solo or a couple. I stayed on the fifth floor.

Its a busy, small boutique hotel so book early. Its not at all pretentious. Not a chain which gets brownie points from me.

Japanese beds are normally rock-hard - its the same here. Great amenities - all in house deigned. Restaurant is interesting and quirky. I had the set menu that had an Italian and UK influence. People can smoke in the restaurant which is slightly irritating.

Location - It's a bit out of the centre. Cabs take ages to get around so I suggest you go to Meguro station then get a cab. Its a bit of a pain if you are doing a lot of tourist stuff but its great value for money.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank JohnMLeeLondon
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at Claska. The room and lobby are wonderfully decorated with Design classics and the hotel has its own small design store that sells beautiful designer goods (slightly pricey unfortunately...). Staff are very helpful in giving directions and dinner recommendations and always friendly. Breakfast was great too. Fantastic attention to detail all around. Downside? The location. Yes, Claska is in Meguro, but it's a 10 minute drive from Meguro so you always need to take an extra bus/train/taxi to get onto the central Tokyo train system. I therefore wouldn't recommend it if you're in Tokyo for the first time and only for a very short stay. Other than that, 5 stars!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank starfruitsalad
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This was my second stay at Hotel Claska. I just love how quirky and stylish the whole place is. I mean, there's a dog grooming shop on the first floor! That's pretty unique. I stayed in Room 506 which was great. The last time I stayed in one of the D.I.Y. rooms on the 7th floor, but I have to say that I preferred the room on the 5th floor. It was a bit more functional. The front desk staff was very friendly as usual. I asked to take out a bike and less than five minutes later I was riding down the road on a bright green bicycle. That was great too as the surrounding area has a lot of hidden gems. The first time I went, I took the train from the airport to the hotel but this time, I used the shuttle bus to the Sheraton Miyako and then took a taxi from there. It was much, much easier to use the shuttle bus / taxi combo and not much more expensive. Also, there were taxis waiting at the Sheraton Miyako so it was really easy to make the transfer to the hotel. A great place to stay if you want something a bit different.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank scottleefe
Reviewed August 20, 2012

After three weeks on route around Japan I gifted myself with three nights at Claska. What an spoiling experience!
The hotel is just cool, very carismatic and extremly nice to hang around even for a solo traveller. The staff is very helpufl and nice, their english is a bit dificult but that's usual in Japan. And the restaurant is great and so is breakfast
Some people complain about the location but to me it was a plus to be a bit far away from the crazyness of central Tokyo and, in fact, I felt that by staying at Meguro I had the chance to taste a bit of the other Tokyo, the Tokyo of tokyoners (sp).
The value for money is great. Definitly your choice if you want something with character and not too busy

If you are into design and architecture ask the staff to show you the hotel.

Room Tip: Every room is diferent. Single rooms have a bed and a half and are pretty big for Tokyo standars
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo