“Stylish and great value”
Review of Claska

Claska
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels / Ryokan in Meguro
London, England, United Kingdom
“Stylish and great value”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Claska was a bit of lucky find. Very hip and beautifully designed, Claska was a great stay for a someone flying solo or a couple. I stayed on the fifth floor.

Its a busy, small boutique hotel so book early. Its not at all pretentious. Not a chain which gets brownie points from me.

Japanese beds are normally rock-hard - its the same here. Great amenities - all in house deigned. Restaurant is interesting and quirky. I had the set menu that had an Italian and UK influence. People can smoke in the restaurant which is slightly irritating.

Location - It's a bit out of the centre. Cabs take ages to get around so I suggest you go to Meguro station then get a cab. Its a bit of a pain if you are doing a lot of tourist stuff but its great value for money.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank JohnMLeeLondon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at Claska. The room and lobby are wonderfully decorated with Design classics and the hotel has its own small design store that sells beautiful designer goods (slightly pricey unfortunately...). Staff are very helpful in giving directions and dinner recommendations and always friendly. Breakfast was great too. Fantastic attention to detail all around. Downside? The location. Yes, Claska is in Meguro, but it's a 10 minute drive from Meguro so you always need to take an extra bus/train/taxi to get onto the central Tokyo train system. I therefore wouldn't recommend it if you're in Tokyo for the first time and only for a very short stay. Other than that, 5 stars!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank starfruitsalad
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This was my second stay at Hotel Claska. I just love how quirky and stylish the whole place is. I mean, there's a dog grooming shop on the first floor! That's pretty unique. I stayed in Room 506 which was great. The last time I stayed in one of the D.I.Y. rooms on the 7th floor, but I have to say that I preferred the room on the 5th floor. It was a bit more functional. The front desk staff was very friendly as usual. I asked to take out a bike and less than five minutes later I was riding down the road on a bright green bicycle. That was great too as the surrounding area has a lot of hidden gems. The first time I went, I took the train from the airport to the hotel but this time, I used the shuttle bus to the Sheraton Miyako and then took a taxi from there. It was much, much easier to use the shuttle bus / taxi combo and not much more expensive. Also, there were taxis waiting at the Sheraton Miyako so it was really easy to make the transfer to the hotel. A great place to stay if you want something a bit different.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank scottleefe
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed August 20, 2012

After three weeks on route around Japan I gifted myself with three nights at Claska. What an spoiling experience!
The hotel is just cool, very carismatic and extremly nice to hang around even for a solo traveller. The staff is very helpufl and nice, their english is a bit dificult but that's usual in Japan. And the restaurant is great and so is breakfast
Some people complain about the location but to me it was a plus to be a bit far away from the crazyness of central Tokyo and, in fact, I felt that by staying at Meguro I had the chance to taste a bit of the other Tokyo, the Tokyo of tokyoners (sp).
The value for money is great. Definitly your choice if you want something with character and not too busy

If you are into design and architecture ask the staff to show you the hotel.

Room Tip: Every room is diferent. Single rooms have a bed and a half and are pretty big for Tokyo standars
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I stayed in one of the week long residence rooms on the 6th floor. It definitely has been many many years since the room has been updated. The carpet could definitely use a replacement.There is no place to really put all of your belongings and truly unpack, which seems like a requirement for a week long residential stay. It seems the famous designer cutout wall used in all of the promo photos needs to be ripped down. I think it is intended to be used as storage for of your belongings but it is not very functional and seems dated and gimmicky. The room has some moisture problems as it smelled a bit moldy. But the important things... comfy bed, clean sheets, immaculately clean bathroom, all for under $100 per night in a great neighborhood makes it one of the better deals in all of Tokyo. The neighborhood is nice and quiet and has great furniture shopping all along Meguro street on the longer walk to Meguro Station. I sometimes jumped on the bus that takes you straight there if I was short on time. The shorter walk to Gakugeidaigaku station is more lively and interesting.

Concierge/Customer service was pretty good.They made reservations for me in advance at Jiro Sukiyabashi's sushi restaurant in Ginza, and printed out a map for me. They were always happy to let me borrow umbrellas and advise where to go and how to get there and where to store my luggage on my last travel day. The only weird issue was one day, after starting my day at 5am because of jet lag, my friend and I came back to the hotel for a quick power nap in the afternoon before heading out again in the evening. It may be a Japanese cultural thing, but they seemed to have a really big problem with my friend coming up to my room to freshen up and relax. I made my point that I paid for the room, he was only staying for an hour or so and that he wasn't a prostitute. They relented but seemed very unhappy.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I had a fantastic stay at Claska -- there's no wow factor there; it's all in the small details. Each room has its own distinctive design style so choose carefully since it could make a difference; I stayed in room 504 (western style), which I highly recommend (the lighting in the room is particularly well thought out).

The service is excellent (super friendly, efficient and informal); the restaurant/café, the shop and the roof terrace are worth checking out. Make sure to visit each floor; there are some cool design surprises that are not to be missed.

I'd recommend it to anyone who's already a bit familiar with Tokyo -- Meguro is not a particularly central location but it's a lovely and peaceful neighbourhood to waste the day away (lots of furniture stores and cafés).

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in early June 2012 on recommendation of a friend. Just loved it! The Japanese Modern room was very spacious (room enough for a little lounge area at the end of the bed with two chairs and a table), clean and beautifully designed. As we were on our honeymoon they had a bottle of champagne on ice when we arrived into the room and also gave us a complimentary chocolate decorated fruit platter one morning at breakfast too :)

Don't miss the eating out recommendations from the staff - we loved exploring all the restaurants, bars and little shops around the Meguro-ku area (especially along the main pedestrian road heading up to Gakugeidaigaku train station - only 10 min walk if you're in a hurry). Meguro-ku as a suburb is not as hectic as Shibuya and more central Tokyo areas and suited our style much more.

Also there's a rooftop area that no one else seemed to be enjoying while we there but we loved having a drink up there and cool views of the surrounding neighbourhood.

Next time we come to Tokyo we'll definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lowercasedave
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meguro
Odaiba / Shiodome / Shinbashi
Hotel Gajoen Tokyo
Hotel Gajoen Tokyo
#2 of 11 in Meguro
Hotel Mid In Meguro-Ekimae

Been to Claska? Share your experiences!