“This hotel keeps getting better!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Claska

Claska
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels / Ryokan in Meguro
Seoul, South Korea
“This hotel keeps getting better!”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This was my second stay at Hotel Claska. I just love how quirky and stylish the whole place is. I mean, there's a dog grooming shop on the first floor! That's pretty unique. I stayed in Room 506 which was great. The last time I stayed in one of the D.I.Y. rooms on the 7th floor, but I have to say that I preferred the room on the 5th floor. It was a bit more functional. The front desk staff was very friendly as usual. I asked to take out a bike and less than five minutes later I was riding down the road on a bright green bicycle. That was great too as the surrounding area has a lot of hidden gems. The first time I went, I took the train from the airport to the hotel but this time, I used the shuttle bus to the Sheraton Miyako and then took a taxi from there. It was much, much easier to use the shuttle bus / taxi combo and not much more expensive. Also, there were taxis waiting at the Sheraton Miyako so it was really easy to make the transfer to the hotel. A great place to stay if you want something a bit different.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank scottleefe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed August 20, 2012

After three weeks on route around Japan I gifted myself with three nights at Claska. What an spoiling experience!
The hotel is just cool, very carismatic and extremly nice to hang around even for a solo traveller. The staff is very helpufl and nice, their english is a bit dificult but that's usual in Japan. And the restaurant is great and so is breakfast
Some people complain about the location but to me it was a plus to be a bit far away from the crazyness of central Tokyo and, in fact, I felt that by staying at Meguro I had the chance to taste a bit of the other Tokyo, the Tokyo of tokyoners (sp).
The value for money is great. Definitly your choice if you want something with character and not too busy

If you are into design and architecture ask the staff to show you the hotel.

Room Tip: Every room is diferent. Single rooms have a bed and a half and are pretty big for Tokyo standars
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I stayed in one of the week long residence rooms on the 6th floor. It definitely has been many many years since the room has been updated. The carpet could definitely use a replacement.There is no place to really put all of your belongings and truly unpack, which seems like a requirement for a week long residential stay. It seems the famous designer cutout wall used in all of the promo photos needs to be ripped down. I think it is intended to be used as storage for of your belongings but it is not very functional and seems dated and gimmicky. The room has some moisture problems as it smelled a bit moldy. But the important things... comfy bed, clean sheets, immaculately clean bathroom, all for under $100 per night in a great neighborhood makes it one of the better deals in all of Tokyo. The neighborhood is nice and quiet and has great furniture shopping all along Meguro street on the longer walk to Meguro Station. I sometimes jumped on the bus that takes you straight there if I was short on time. The shorter walk to Gakugeidaigaku station is more lively and interesting.

Concierge/Customer service was pretty good.They made reservations for me in advance at Jiro Sukiyabashi's sushi restaurant in Ginza, and printed out a map for me. They were always happy to let me borrow umbrellas and advise where to go and how to get there and where to store my luggage on my last travel day. The only weird issue was one day, after starting my day at 5am because of jet lag, my friend and I came back to the hotel for a quick power nap in the afternoon before heading out again in the evening. It may be a Japanese cultural thing, but they seemed to have a really big problem with my friend coming up to my room to freshen up and relax. I made my point that I paid for the room, he was only staying for an hour or so and that he wasn't a prostitute. They relented but seemed very unhappy.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I had a fantastic stay at Claska -- there's no wow factor there; it's all in the small details. Each room has its own distinctive design style so choose carefully since it could make a difference; I stayed in room 504 (western style), which I highly recommend (the lighting in the room is particularly well thought out).

The service is excellent (super friendly, efficient and informal); the restaurant/café, the shop and the roof terrace are worth checking out. Make sure to visit each floor; there are some cool design surprises that are not to be missed.

I'd recommend it to anyone who's already a bit familiar with Tokyo -- Meguro is not a particularly central location but it's a lovely and peaceful neighbourhood to waste the day away (lots of furniture stores and cafés).

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in early June 2012 on recommendation of a friend. Just loved it! The Japanese Modern room was very spacious (room enough for a little lounge area at the end of the bed with two chairs and a table), clean and beautifully designed. As we were on our honeymoon they had a bottle of champagne on ice when we arrived into the room and also gave us a complimentary chocolate decorated fruit platter one morning at breakfast too :)

Don't miss the eating out recommendations from the staff - we loved exploring all the restaurants, bars and little shops around the Meguro-ku area (especially along the main pedestrian road heading up to Gakugeidaigaku train station - only 10 min walk if you're in a hurry). Meguro-ku as a suburb is not as hectic as Shibuya and more central Tokyo areas and suited our style much more.

Also there's a rooftop area that no one else seemed to be enjoying while we there but we loved having a drink up there and cool views of the surrounding neighbourhood.

Next time we come to Tokyo we'll definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lowercasedave
Munich
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We selected the Claska for our recent holiday trip to Tokyo because of the many favorable reviews at this platform - and we returned have nothing but great things to say about it.

We stayed there for 5 nights in room # 502 - japanese modern room with a western style bed (matresses a little hard for our taste). The room is huge and very nicely furnished, with a comfy sofa and warm-colored wooden tables, side boards and closets. Very spacy, tastefully decorated bathroom with wooden floor. We typically sleep with a window open, for which the room is not ideal because it goes out on the main street, so quite noisy - with closed windows not an issue at all though.

Breakfast and food (they offer a small dinner menu in the lobby bar/restaurant) in general is fabulous - fresh, home-made, great coffee. Service staff speak little english but are super friendly. There is a dog hairdresser salon in-house, right next to the restaurant, so one can watch the dogs getting their hair cut over a cup of coffee or glass of wine - hillarious!

Reception staff were superb - good english, and really bending over to help with whatever question we approached them with. When we checked out, they asked whether we liked the lounge music in the looby and when we said yes, they gave us a free CD with the hotel's music compilation as a souvenir - isn't that lovely?

What makes the Claska really special is the tons of thoughtful details that make one's stay special and enjoyable. e.g. upon arrival, they hand you a super-convenient pocket guide that lists all the public transportation nearby, as well as recommended restaurants and bars, and even 7-Elevens. We went to one of the recommended soba noodle bars (Mizore) and it was fabulous! Or, they offer bikes for rent. Or, they have a nice range of DVDs available for rent.

Finally, a word about the location. Claska is located in the heart of the Meguro neighborhood which we loved because of its residential flair and its artsy, relaxed atmosphere. The nearest train stop (Gakugeidaigaku) is a 15 min walk away from the hotel (and those who don't like to walk can catch a bus to Meguro train station - about a 10 min bus ride). We actually really enjoyed our daily walk to and from the train station because it leads through a lovely, small pedestrian zone with lots of little shops and restaurants. And the area around the train station and towards Naka-Meguro is great for just strolling around. It really depends on what you are looking for - if you want to be close to Ginza, Claska is not for you.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LadyBergfex
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I stayed here in May 2012 with a friend and we shared a twin room. It is a nice Japanese experience , they have tatami mats on the floor with futons and a very nice bathroom. This would be a good place to stay a couple of nights, as the rooms are smallish. Probably longer if you were on your own. It is immaculately maintained and clean.
There is a nice complimentary breakfast and we tried the Japanese breakfast which we liked. Very helpful staff and nice bar/tea area downstairs, which seems to attract a very trendy crowd. Claska is situated in a nice part of Tokyo, which includes the famous Parasite Museum. It is reasonably expensive, and it has a very hip gift shop on one of the floors if you've forgotten to buy presents.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meguro
Shibuya Granbell Hotel
Ochanomizu / Akihabara / Kanda
Hotel Niwa Tokyo
Hotel Niwa Tokyo
#8 of 74 in Chiyoda

Been to Claska? Share your experiences!