“A real deal and we loved it”
Review of Hotel Fukudaya

Hotel Fukudaya
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels / Ryokan in Meguro
Reviewed June 9, 2011

My family of 3 adults stopped for 2.5 days in Tokyo on our way from Montreal to Thailand as a small gesture of solidarity with the Japanese people. We booked a triple room with bath Japanese-style for 2 nights.
From Narita airport we took the Airport Limousine Bus to Cerulian Hotel in Shibuya at 18:30, we could have walked to Fukudaya hotel from there, but as it was raining and the sky was getting dark and with all the luggage, we've decided to take a taxi and it costs 740 yen as stated in the hotel web site. You better print the map and the address in Japanese of the hotel (from its web site) and show it to the taxi driver, that will definitely help him/her to locate the hotel. But afterwards, we always walk from/to the hotel to/from the Shibuya station along the Tamagawa dori (or RTE-246) and Dogenzaka dori (dori means street). The walk is pleasant and it takes about 10 to 15 mins depending on your pace and charges. My son spent a lot of time taking pictures of the crossing at the Shibuya station near the Hachio statute. You get a very good view of the crossing from the window on the 2nd floor of the Starbucks at that corner.
We arrived at the hotel around 18:40 and were greeted by 2 very lovely and helpful ladies. We got a very clean room with all 3 futons set. When we told them that we will go to Shinjuku station, they gave us the code to the door so that we can stay out late, and they volunteer to lend us the umbrellas as it kept raining as well as the maps .... The next morning we met the owner of the inn and this gentleman speaks English very well. He is also as nice as the 2 ladies.

The hotel is in a very good location. Apart from the surrounding areas of the Shibuya station, from there you can walk to Yoyogi Olympic Stadium, Yoyogi Parc, Meiji shrine, Harajuku station, Takeshita dori (the shopping street of young people), Omotesando dori, and Aoyama dori. Just the location is worth the price. The owner and staff are all friendly, nice and helpful, asnd the room is kept clean. As their first visit to Japan, my wife and my son really enjoyed the stay in this hotel and we would certainly come back again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank tonthat

Reviewed May 8, 2011

I recently stayed for three nights at Hotel Fukudaya and although the staff and location were pleasant enough the bed bugs were not! I emailed the hotel after my stay to alert them of the over 40 bites all over my body and they said they "sanitized the room." Seeing as the owners do not speak english- I do not think that they are clear the steps they need to take to rid the hotel of them. If I were you I would STAY AWAY.

Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank ehiar86
hotelfukudaya, オーナー at Hotel Fukudaya, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2011

We constantly take necessary sanitary precautions to get rid of household insects such as bedbugs, because these can be unavoidably brought in along with travelers’ bags, suitcases etc. from outside.
This time we are very sorry for the guest in such a trouble, to whom we didn’t have a chance to respond sincerely and appropriately, then and there, due to a warning given us later. However, we cleaned the room immediately to rid of bedbugs and well prepared it for receiving guests.
We always do our best efforts to clean rooms and to keep it comfortable for our guests.

Reviewed May 8, 2011

The Hotel Fukudaya is a little gem of a ryokan, reasonably priced and handy for exploring Tokyo. Set in a tiny but attractive garden, we were given a warm welcome by staff, who spoke English and were patient with our few words of Japanese. We stayed there shortly after the earthquake, so were the only guests for a few days and did not have to queue to use the communal bath.

Our Japanese style room was immaculate and decorated beautifully with pictures, scrolls and decorative shoji screens. The ensuite facilities were good and there was a good supply of tea and rice cakes in the room.

The Fukudaya is within easy walking distance of Shibuya Station, and its one disadvantage is that it is located close to a major highway, so there is a bit of a backround hum of traffic at night.

Overall the Fukudaya offers a great taste of traditional Japanese hospitality right in the centre of Tokyo

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Norma060
Reviewed February 1, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a week, in a Japanese-style room on the ground floor. The staff was very friendly. The room did not have blinds, but was otherwise very nice. They also have a shared bath, in a large stainless-steel bathtub, which I found very relaxing. I recommend staying here if you are looking for an inexpensive place in Shibuya.

There are bed bugs at this hotel, and I think I should point this out here. (Of course, this has nothing to do with the quality of the hotel.) When I arrived, I first had a room upstairs, and without looking for them, saw four live adult bed bugs within 10 minutes. When I told a staff member, we found another two. The hotel was very nice about it, and immediately moved me to a larger room downstairs (without charging more). There did not seem to be any bed bugs in the second room. I hope Hotel Fukudaya can solve this problem quickly!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Chibi_totoro_11
Reviewed January 14, 2011

My home away from home in Tokyo (I've stayed 7 or 8 times since 2002 ... I had to choose Feb2010 because there were no applicable choices for me). Convenient location, but tucked away from the rush. It's Japanese and very nice, quiet and simple. Perfect for travellers who need a place to rest after exploring a wonderful, very beautiful city. And the people who host you, they're really nice. Those are some of the reasons I like the Fukudaya.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank seaweb
Reviewed September 26, 2010

My friend and I stayed inside a Western style standard room with twin beds. We took a limousine bus from Haneda airport to Shibuya station and took a taxi from there because it was late at night but it was very closeby. The name of the hotel is a bit misleading as it is more like a nice inn run by a family rather than a hotel. An old man helped us check in and we paid with credit card even though they prefer cash payment. The restrooms and shower are public so it felt like we were in a co-ed college dorm. The room itself was decent for the price. It had a tv, free wi-fi internet, clean towels, Japanese style bathrobes and a tea set. Sleep quality wasn't great because the walls are a bit thin and the beds themselves weren't all that comfortable but for the price, I didn't expect anything stellar. The hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk from Shibuya station so it was in a fairly convenient location. We stayed out until late at night and ended up taking taxis from wherever we were to the hotel but I would highly recommend public transportation because taxis are very expensive (710 yen or about $8 is the base price for taxis). Overall, I would stay at this hotel for its price and location. It wasn't amazing but it was clean and affordable.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 8, 2010

My wife and i stayed at Hotel Fukudaya in August 2010, the hottest August on record in Japan (literally). We were sight-seeing and attending a conference at the University of Tokyo, Komaba Campus.

For access to Shibuya and/or the University of Tokyo, the location is great (not too close and not too far). The Shinsen Station on the Keio Line, which goes to the University, is within easy walking distance, even in the oppressive heat of 2010. In normal temperatures, walking to Shibuya would be feasible. However, dragging luggage up the hill from Shibuya Station would be difficult, and people unfamiliar with the area will be hard-pressed to find their way.

No cab drivers will be able to find the hotel using the address, but many will know it by name. Notably few taxi drivers speak English (or even read Romaji characters), so try to have the name and neighborhood (Aobadai) in Kanji and/or Katakana/Hiragana (consult your guidebook). If you insist on taking a bus with all your luggage, go to the West Bus Terminal and hop the 21, or any bus stopping at Dogenzaka and get off at the second stop.

The staff at the hotel was incredibly welcoming and friendly. At least one staff member speaks English (most do not), but all are willing to work with whatever Japanese you have to offer.

This was our first hotel in Japan and we were somewhat unsure of what to expect. We had read warnings regarding tiny rooms, Japanese-style toilets and baths, etc. Naturally, the rooms in Fukudaya are small, but perhaps larger than others in Tokyo. The rooms (we stayed in two because we unexpectedly extended our stay) were very clean and comfortable. Both were Japanese style with tatami floors. The first room (111) had an ensuite bath, which was clean and not particularly unusual by Western standards. The second room (221) had a lavatory, but shared shower right outside the door. The shared shower was clean and quite large. Notably, the first room (111) shared a wall with the lobby and a wall and window with the street. We never noted any significant noise.

All of our subsequent hotels in Japan are now compared in relation to the high bar set by Fukudaya and none are better.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank smawler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meguro
Shibuya Granbell Hotel
#7 of 13 in Meguro
Hotel Mid In Meguro-Ekimae
Olympic Inn Shibuya
#11 of 13 in Meguro

Been to Hotel Fukudaya? Share your experiences!