“Best hotel in Tokyo to date”
Review of The Westin Tokyo

The Westin Tokyo
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels / Ryokan in Meguro
Wellington, New Zealand
“Best hotel in Tokyo to date”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I stayed here twice last week, the first time for a few days before going to Nagoya and again on my return. So when I talk about the rooms in this review, I'll refer to two, the first, 1904 and the second, 1014.

I was upgraded to a suite, 1014 on my second stay and it was very spacious, and by far, the best room that I've stayed in out of the four hotels that I've stayed in on my four trips to Japan so far this year.

I didn't really have time to look around the grounds or amenities including the pool unfortunately!

The decor is quite conservative with a lot of timber so very unlike a contemporary Westin but more in the Sheraton style. A little dated but well-maintained although I found the water pressure in the wash hand basins a tad low.

The variety at breakfast was expansive with a choice of smoothies, my favourite! There were a variety of cuisines so something for everyone.

Service as with most hotels in Japan was excellent.

The Ebisu station on the JR Yamanote line was only a 10 minute amble away with the subway line underneath the JR station.

I particularly liked the interior walkway through the Yebisu Gardens which was very convenient and provided shelter when the weather turned inclement.

A Mitsukoshi department store was just across the road and particularly in Tokyo, these once dominant department stores were the only place to go shopping but it seems these are disappearing with the changing shopping patterns. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to look through Mitsukoshi but I will do on a future visit.

The Airport Limousine Bus service is available at this hotel and runs on an hourly schedule and perhaps the only drawback of a superb service is the Westin is at the end of a run meaning you need to allow two hours for this trip whereas if you were at the other end of this service, the trip to Narita is barely an hour.

Room Tip: My first room, 1904 afforded great views over the city including one attached here of Tokyo Tower an...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
The_Westin_Tokyo, Digital Marketing Coordinator at The Westin Tokyo, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thank you for your review and even more for your stay with us. We are delighted to hear you were able to feel renewed and relaxed in our guestrooms and your visit to Tokyo was a truly enjoyable one! Our location, Ebisu is quite a gem. As you’ve mentioned, even though Yebisu area is quiet, the many hidden discoveries here and there are popular to the local community as well. We boast true Westin professionalism and personal attentiveness to our guests! We only hope for your return in the not so distant future, until then please take and stay well.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 3, 2013

The rooms are very spacious and comfortable. The common areas are grand even though the decor is a bit dated.

There was a direct shuttle from the airport which was very convenient.The concierge team was great at helping me plan out my travel everyday of my stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
The_Westin_Tokyo, Digital Marketing Coordinator at The Westin Tokyo, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to post a review. Your kind words are of the greatest encouragement to all of us. We believe in offering the best of international standards combined with immaculate Westin Tokyo hospitality and service- attention to detail, tailored service, and effort in understanding our guests. We only hope for your return in the not so distant future, until then please take and stay well.
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I cannot imagine a better choice for a hurried business trip. The common spaces and the room are quietly luxurious in a not-over-the-top kind of way. The location is a short distance from a train station, and the walk takes you through a park/mall with good restaurants and shopping, including a wonderful "food garage." Tokyo is a late-starting city, so you'll likely be taking breakfast at the hotel. It is expensive as breakfasts go, but the food is quite good and the selection excellent. It includes a station with local pickles and such, as well as American and European selections. Good luck getting a second cup of tea or coffee, however, and sometimes even the first one is hard to come by. There is a lovely garden at the back of the hotel. I would not hesitate to return to this Westin.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Westin Tokyo, and taking your time to send us your valuable feedback. First of all, please accept our sincere apology on your unsatisfactory experience on your recent stay because of the late service you have received at the breakfast restaurant The Terrace.This is obviously not the experience we want you to have at The Westin Tokyo.
Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. I would like you to know that your valuable feedback will be shared by our team and management,
And we would take this opportunity to review our service standard, and improve the guest service to meet your expectations.We would highly appreciate for your continuous patronage of The Westin Tokyo,
And thank you again for giving us the opportunity to reviewing our service standard.
Reviewed May 26, 2013

From beginning to end the Westin Tokyo was extremely accommodating to our needs from accidentally locking ourselves out (due to connecting doors and the deadbolt) to finding a hospital that would see us early in the morning on a sunday to allowing for a late checkout due to a later flight we really appreciated their incredible service that we will always remember. We would definitely recommend the Westin Tokyo to anyone considering to stay in the heart of the city.

• Stayed May 2013
The_Westin_Tokyo, Digital Marketing coordinator at The Westin Tokyo, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for your kind patronage to the Westin Tokyo and for taking the time to post a review. First of all, we apologize for the defect of the connecting door to lock you in. Your kind words and strong vote of confidence for the Westin Tokyo has given us great encouragement and yearning to do more. It is our utmost joy in providing an experience, extraordinary; excellence that is consistent, and ensuring that each guest’s stay is bespoke. Thank you for allowing us to contribute to your Tokyo Experience. We hope to welcome you back very soon. Until then, please take care.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed May 21, 2013

The Westin is a great place to be based at in Tokyo. One thing that struck us was how clean it is. The decor isn't new but it is so well maintained I couldn't help but be impressed. The check-in staff were pleasant and professional and I must say that the concierge staff were among the most helpful I have come across. They are really prepared for all your questions and will make their best effort to ensure your ease and satisfaction.

Their F&B outlets serve food of good standard and The Compass Rose on the 22nd Floor is a great place for a drink while taking in the view of the city skyline by night.

Their housekeeping is also excellent. They know what to tidy, replace and what to leave untouched. Very professional. Mind you though, if you do choose to "Go Green", they won't make your bed or replace your towels.

All in all, I would say it is simply excellent hospitality. Oh, and the beds are a good sleep!

As for the locale, from the hotel you can conveniently walk to the JR and Metro stations. It is a short stroll through Yebisu Gardens and then through a walkway with walkalators. You'll get to the Ebisu JR line station first and if you carry on you'll reach the Metro station. Ebisu is one stop from Shibuya, two from Harajuku and four from Shinjuku on the JR Yamanote Line.

Across from the Westin through Yebisu Gardens, there are plenty of eateries, a good Yakitori grill and pub and conveniences. If you'd walk towards the Metro station you'll come out to a bustling area with lots of restaurants.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending the Westin Tokyo to a friend and I would definitely keep going back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Westin_Tokyo, Digital Marketing Coordinator at The Westin Tokyo, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to post a review. Whatever suits you’re fancy, we will do the utmost to provide. We believe in offering the best of international standards combined with immaculate Westin Tokyo hospitality and service- attention to detail, tailored service, and effort in understanding our guests.
We are delighted to hear that our location in Ebisu (Yebisu Garden Place) was found to be a respite in the center of Tokyo, while providing some uplifting downtime with convenient access to all of your endeavors.
Our location we hope, a respite in the center of Tokyo, is a unique attribute ‘designed’ to assist you to escape from the daily grind. Thank for allowing us to contribute to your Tokyo experience. We hope to see you very soon again.
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights during a vacation as a SPG member. The location is perfect with a great access to the train station. It is in the Ebisu Garden, a decent neghborhood with fancy restaurants and shops.

The staff was very nice and the service was great. One big downside is smoke smell...we stayed in a non-smoking area on the non-smoking floor, but the room and floor smelled so awful...I completely believe that many guests violate the non-smoking policy and smoked in non-smoking area. In fact, when we went back home and unpacked our luggage, our cloth smelled so smoky...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Anneymomo
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to post a review. Your kind words are of the greatest encouragement to all of us. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to serve you. Your feedback for the smoke smell in the room will be shared by our team. We would take this opportunity to review our service standard, and try to improve even harder to meet your expectations while we put an effort to remove the cigar smell from the room. We anxiously wait for your return for another Westin Tokyo magic, a respite in the heart of the city with personal service at its best.
Bali,Indonesia
Reviewed May 17, 2013

First of all, wow. I am not sure if The Westin Tokyo need my review, with all these other great ones, but I can't just keep this to myself. My husband and I came across Westin Tokyo because all the hotels in the more crowded areas were booked, but we definitely lucked out because it was an excellent stay. Hands down, one of the best service I have ever experienced in a hotel. That being said, the Japanese are extremely polite and helpful. The hotel is located in quite a convenient part of town If you want to stay out of the hustle and bustle of Shibuya/Shinjuku/Harajuku. The rooms are enormous, especially for Tokyo and to be honest, it was great for a longer stay because you get to enjoy the amenities, even the room service food was excellent. The only thing I missed was the garden, which I did not realize was open until I left the hotel, I wished that it was advertised more in the lobby area so I would remember to check it out. I also wished that the spa was not as overpriced, but then again this is Japan. Other than that, i will definitely come back and stay here when I am in Tokyo.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
May we sincerely thank you for your stay with us and for your gracious review. We cannot imagine how much of your valuable time and thoughts were put in, a heartfelt thank you. It gives us great encouragement that you found your stay with us a pure delight. Never do we regard “service” as an obligation, but rather embrace it with genuine joy in being able to contribute to our guest’s experiences. Taking detail to a different level and understanding our guests is our priority. Please come and visit us soon again. Your words have been received with much gratitude.A deep ‘arigatogozaimasu’!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Meguro
Shinjuku
Conrad Tokyo
Conrad Tokyo
#1 of 109 in Minato
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,812 reviews

Been to The Westin Tokyo? Share your experiences!