“Awesome place, here's help finding it” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Japanese, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Shibuya / Harajuku / Ebisu
Lausanne, Switzerland
“Awesome place, here's help finding it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

Went there last night, the tripadvisor map is accurate but the name on the door is only in japanese... Except that you can read the word Yakitori. Upstairs is another restaurant called mau coba, and on the left is a huge thing called hinomaru. It's a 2 min walk from the naka meguro metro station.
Now for the place itself, well, every review I read is true, food was great, prepared right in front of you if you are sitting at the bar. We kept to basic choices like chicken breasts, beef, and all that was wrapped in bacon. Simply delicious!

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank WendyTestaburger

• Korean first
Milan, Lombardia, Italy
“My favourite Yakitori in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

I don' know if it is really the best one, but surely it has been the beat for me for the last 16 years.
Great atmosphere, fantastic tebasaki and tsukune, .. and great memories.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Andrea R
Dorset
“Worth a journey from central Tokyo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

We chose this restaurant for several reasons. It was rated well by the Guardian recently, and we really fancied some Yakitori. We were not disappointed, and had a fantastic evening, particularly since we were seated with a delightful couple who generously treated us to a variety of dishes, as well as liberal sake.
As hoped, there were some tempting but strange delicacies - the cod roe skewer was delicious, the chicken cartilage was an experience (probably best avoided), the bonito, chicken livers, quail eggs, pork cheek were all fantastic. Can't comment on cost - thanks to our kind hosts - but even if we'd paid for it all, it wasn't at all costly. Easy to find one block from the end of the Hibiya line - since our hotel had its own station! Go!

Visited April 2012
2 Thank rjosborne
New York City, New York
“My favorite Yakitori restaurant in Tokyo/Japan/World/Galaxy/Universe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2012

I have been to Kushiwakamaru many times and it has always been fantastic. It is the best yakitori that I've found in Japan or, for that matter, anywhere else. My friends and I always used to call it "Stickman", so I will refer to it as such throughout this review.

By far the best chicken meatballs (tsukune) I have ever tasted and the cheese-stuffed peppers are fantastic. Actually, I've never tried anything there that I didn't enjoy. It is just top of the line yakitori for a pretty decent value. The atmosphere is casual, sometimes loud and very enjoyable.

Stickman is a my go-to yakitori restaurant for all visitors. In fact I've taken everyone that has visited me in Japan, as well as expats and Japanese and the praise has been unanimous.

One note. Stickman is smokey. Not smokier than other izakaya/yakitori-places, but if you come from somewhere that outlaws smoking in restaurants, it can be a bit of a shock. However, this is the case for almost all "authentic" Japanese restaurants in the country. Definitely not a reason to pass up Kushiwakamaru.

They take reservations same day between 1pm to 5pm. Call ahead and then show up at your preferred time, fantastic planning! Or if you don't know what time you can make it, they kindly will serve you beer/drinks while you wait after putting your name on the waitlist. This is particularly appealing when the weather is nice, as you can sit/wait outside and have a drink.

• Visited June 2011
8 Thank drewby78
Bengaluru, India
“Have to try!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2011

Have been to KushiwakaMaru twice now.

For a non Japanese speaker who wants to have a great Yakitori experience, this place is highly recommended.

They have a very wide variety of Yakitoris with a neat little English menu. The service is prompt and courteous. It is an excellent value for money and the Yakitoris are better than in most places I have tried in Tokyo.

The place is extremely popular so go there early if you don't want to wait in a long queue.

• Visited December 2010