“Oishii desu yo!”

Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Shinagawa / Gotanda
Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

This place was a bit tricky to find as you get in via sliding white doors to the left of some stairs that lead to another restaurant. (I didn't realize it wasn't windows but a door!) The reviews really were spot on, a unique dining experience in Japan where you walk in, tell the chef if you want a Hitotsu or Futatsu (1 or 2) for either the one of two dishes, deep fried pork fillet or cutlet. Comes with cabbage, miso soup, and rice. The pork is super juicy and flavorful, also comes with a spicy yellow wasabi paste that was amazing! My meal set me back about 1200¥ and worth every yen!

1  Thank EJ H

Reviewed August 11, 2014

This is a great place to try Tonkatsu. It was delicious, full of Japanese. You can watch all the staff working and they are very friendly to foreigners. Highly recommended.

1  Thank bam4d
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

This is a very slick restaurant. Your order is taken as you get in and you are asked to wait. When your food is ready - or when the owner decides to seat you you are directed to a place at the counter. The pork was as described by many. It was delicious and the attentive staff will top you up with rice and salad.
I have travelled to Meguro before and I will definitely revisit Tonki when I visit again.

2  Thank PappyFerry
Reviewed July 6, 2014

......then Tonki should be it. A family run enterprise with multiple generations working. I prefer the filet katsu because I don't like the extra fat on the rosu katsu. They use a different breading than the usual panko in other tonkastu places, which makes their katsu unique. Walk in, take a seat on the bench by the wall (there will usually be a wait for a counter seat, sometimes a half-hour). They will know you are there and motion for you when your spot is ready. Call out your order. If you want extra rice and cabbage during your meal, just ask. Definitely not a date restaurant or a place to linger. Fun to watch the kitchen and staff work. The place is spotless - how do they do it, with all that grease around! I have made multiple visits. Once I waited nearly 45 minutes - the only time where I think the guy lost track of when I came in.

1  Thank DFWSteve
Reviewed June 17, 2014

After waiting for about 30 minutes for a counter seat (on the first floor - which is where the action is), we waited with bated breaths for our Tonkatsu meal to arrive. We ordered Rosu Katsu (Fatty pork fillet), and I told my wife after the artery-clogging meal that if I were to die then, I'd have died a happy man. I'd definitely recommend the Rosu Katsu, as the fats complemented the meat so well!

One might think that because the "restaurant" setting was a bar counter sitting that the service may not be as good, but I'd say the "waiters" were attentive to our needs, and were prompt in serving (it was basically clockwork!).

As we were travelling with our 1 year old son, we had initially planned to just have him on our lap during the meal, but we were surprised when they brought us a kids/baby chair! Good service! (Although the baby chairs in Japan don't usually come with a belt)

All in all, a fantastic Tonkatsu, and I'd recommend anyone visiting Tokyo to try this place!

Been to Tonki? Share your experiences!