“とんかつ とんき”

Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Shinagawa / Gotanda
Reviewed April 15, 2013

One of the best in tonkatsu, with GREAT value! Always crowded so try to make reservation. Unfortunately, we couldn't stay downstairs to watch the chefs in action (they handle fresh-out-of-the-oil tonkatsu with bare fingers!), so had to head upstairs.

Order the rosu (loin) because it's the more delicious one here, don't worry about the fats and your waistline, we loved it. Hire can get slightly dry.

Closed on the 3rd Monday each month & Tuesdays.

1  Thank triciaws

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Each neighborhood in the Tokyo area has its tonkatsu restaurant. Some stand out. Tonki goes beyond this distinction because of its consistent high quality and helpful staff. If you want the full treatment, definitely eat at the counter and watch all the activity that goes into preparing tonkatsu. Worth waiting in line. If you have a group, you can call ahead and reserve one of the tatami rooms upstairs.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I have gone here monthly since being introduced in 1996. I moved away 3 years ago,but every time I am back here, I stop at LEAST three times to eat here! The Rosu-Katsu is the way to go. Why skip on the leaner cut. It's fried food, for crying out loud! Enjoy the flavor! Love this place, all at more than my soon-to-be hubby!

1  Thank Luvingmywine
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Once you walk into Tonki, you are emmersed in the world of Tonkatsu. I've been to many at around Japan, but this one looks special. The kitchen chief ask for your order, then you sit and wait. Not in a particular sequence, but you just sit tight. The chief has amazing memory. First come, first serve.
I had a roh-su, which is like a sirloin cut of pork. I waited patiently for the total of approx 20 min, including the time I waited at my dining counter seat.
As I waited and watched a fine-tuned team of servers, rice servers, cabbage preparers, friers and finishing station (the old fella cutting the cooked swine looks like he's been around for 70 years. Really!), I was getting ready for a life-altering experience.
Unfortunately....the tonkatsu was mediocre at best. Pretty good, but not extraordinary. The meat was not so tender, and the fried batter had detatched itself from the meat (a no no for a purist like myself)
Sure, the wait, the ambiance, and the experience was great, but in the end, I left like I was taken by the hype. Perhaps my expectation was too high?

1  Thank Panaray
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

I certify all previous comments in terms of flavor, quantities and fun factor everything is top-notch. It is a little tricky to find, go outside of main exit of Meguro station, take a left, walk down the street, on the first corner you will see a Pachinko establishment, take a left on that street, go forward and don't be fooled by the first establishments, this one goes after them. I posted a photo just in case. Go there ultra recommended.

Been to Tonki? Share your experiences!