“Pork Heaven”

Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Shinagawa / Gotanda
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Tonki- oh how I love you. This place is the best. When coming from the U.S. the thought of HIRE makes the 14 flight worth it. The atmosphere, the food, and the people make this place one of the best and most unique places I've ever eaten. The food is amazing and the people are all characters - whether it's the man who greets you when you walk in and takes your order and remembers it all or "the man with no finger prints" who takes sizzling tonkatsu straight from the fryer and holds it with his bare hands while he cuts it. Every time I come to Tokyo I have to go to Tonki or my visit is incomplete.

1  Thank PMarquez76

Reviewed October 17, 2012

This is a house of tradition - when you get in, you are asked if you want HIRE (filet) or ROSU (loin) - this is it - only two option - and eat the best Tonkatsu in the world. Enjoy it. Counter around the kitchen where you can see the full process.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

For locals and people in the know, this little place tucked away on a side street near Meguro station has THE BEST tonkatsu in all the world. My grandfather took me there when I was little and I've been coming back eversince. Everyone I've taken there have loved it. Nothing comes close. The family that runs it has done so since my first visit. The tonkatsu is juicy, delicious and the crust is light and crunchy.The rice is perfect and fluffy. The miso soup has the added punch of pork broth. Oh my goodness. And the cabbage they chop as fine as hair is plentiful in unlimited amounts and adds another cool crunch aspect to the already delicious bite. I salivate at the thought of the meal!
There is only one thing on the menu. You place your order ( for the lean or fatty pork) as you walk in the door and wait for your spot at the wrap around bar seating area. It's fun to watch the kitchen in action. The food is so good and so inexpensive! About 900Yen per person

3  Thank Beaverhousen
Reviewed March 23, 2012

I live in Tokyo and take just about every Western guest to Tonki. Everyone likes tonkatsu, and they make it right in front of you.

The all-you-can-eat fresh cabbage is pretty stellar as well.

I've often had to wait up to 30 minutes at the back to get a seat -- well worth it.

1  Thank Mark M
Reviewed March 12, 2012

If you love a tonkatsu meal, they serve the best. After eating tonkatsu here, you will never eat tonkatsu in the USA. It is moist, juicy and thick. Whenever I am in Tokyo, I always make a special trip to eat here. I first atte here in 1970 and itt took me 30 years to find it again because the area has change so much that I could never find it again until my trip in 1998.

2  Thank 73michio