“Michelin should give out 5 stars to Joel Robuchon!”

Le Chateau de Joel Robuchon
Ranked #2 of 2,737 Restaurants in Meguro
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Shibuya / Harajuku / Ebisu
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I have dined at both L'Atelier and La Table in Tokyo, found both to be fantastic, and couldn't imagine Le Chateau being any better, however I was wrong. Each is very different, and Le Chateau is at the top of elegance & culinary excellence, but in a warm and welcoming way. Everyone there is extremely friendly (yet professional) and never pretentious - instead, the staff interacts with you to ensure an experience you'll never forget. They save your wine bottle label in a special plastic sleeve & envelope and give you the night's menu to take home. If you're lucky, you might even meet the chef or the Director of Cuisine himself, Alain Verzeroli, as we did, who was absolutely charming (and even posed for a picture). The food, every course, was like a musical score, with so many perfect individual parts, and when layered, created a masterpiece. Visually stunning, the bread and dessert trolleys were the object of everyone's desires. A multi-colored macaroon tree was the centerpiece of the well-lit dessert trolley that floated across the dining room floor throughout the evening, turning heads & tempting all the diners. If you are going to splurge, do it right - go to the best - go to Le Chateau de Joel Robuchon. He and his staff deserve at least 5 stars!

Reviewed September 6, 2013

The entire experience was contrived and almost farcical.
At a 3 star restaurant, you expect a warm atmosphere, excellent food and the best service.
Nothing felt authentic.
I felt like it was all a big performance for the gullible customers who think they are experiencing elegance and taste. TACKY.
I do not recommend it and in fact, with SO MANY amazing French choices in Tokyo, this should not be on your list.
Disappointed.

4  Thank Miguelkelley
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This place is still the holder of my "Best Foodie Experience Ever" award.

Worth every single cent hands down! Would recommend it as a "MUST DO" when visiting Tokyo!

Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

I made a phone reservation for lunch since the online reservation doesn't accept reservations for one person. I booked 2 weeks in advance and chose the 1:00pm time slot. I went on a Monday but I think for weekend reservations, you will need to book at least 2 months in advance. I was seated promptly at a nice corner table where I can enjoy the view of the whole room. I was primarily served by two waiters who can speak decent English. Although one of them was kind of aloof. I chose Menu A from the lunch menu (¥10,000) but decided to order 2 special appetizers that added an extra ¥2,500 yen to my bill. I also went for a selection of cheese from the cheese cart for an additional ¥800 (it wasn't part of Menu A).
The meal started with a baguette with a choice of olive oil and butter. The baguette was crunchy and toasty. Afterwards, I was also offered my choice of bread from the bread trolley. I love bread in general and the bread I had there all had the perfect texture and taste. I ate almost 10 pieces of bread!
Among the dishes I had, my favorites were the "Le Foie Gras de Canard" which was sinfully divine foie gras on top of Parmesan-cheese-topped risotto and the sea urchin with delicate crustacean jelly and cauliflower cream (this felt like heaven in my mouth).
I also enjoyed the fish entree although I can't recall whether it was Ainame or Amadai. For the meat dish, I chose the oxtail dish. It was good but a little too rich for me. For dessert, I got the Tahitian dessert that consisted of strawberries and Shu cream puffs. It was good although not spectacular.
The coffee was very, very good too.
On my way out, my waiter handed me a little loaf of bread as souvenir. And I'm happy to report that it's delicious!
As I was one of the last diners to leave, I felt like I was being rushed out of the restaurant. I would have liked to walk and looked around since I spied an open terrace on the 2nd floor AND I was planning to use their washroom.
I browsed in their patisserie and boulangerie on the ground floor but resisted the temptation to purchase anything because of my "free" bread loaf souvenir.
One other thing, I didn't order any drinks and just had water. They were diligent in refilling my glass every time except at the last part of my meal when my glass stood empty for a while and I had to ask for more water.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Absolutely sensational dinner! We loved every aspect of this meal.

We had the degustation and every single course was exquisite.

We could not fault one single thing. The service was outstanding, setting very lovely, cannot rate this highly enough. Have read other reviews where people say the staff are a bit aloof but we found them all extremely friendly and helpful with fantastic attention to detail.

The place is so well run it is incredible. I have also read reviews where people have said they didn't get enough to eat, don't understand that as we could not have eaten one more thing.

However be prepared to pay, if you are watching the pennies do not go here.

If however you want to have a most amazing special meal this is a must.

We will definitely be back when next in Tokyo, in fact we dined at A'telier restaurant in Las Vegas and we were also blown away by that. If this is the standard set by Joel Rubichon we will eat at every one of his restaurants when we travel. We have dined at many high end restaurants when travelling and this beats them all, absolutely delicious. In fact writing this review makes me want more!

It is such a shame we have nothing like this in Australia as it is a long way to come for such an exceptional meal.

A tip; they have a bakery downstairs shutting at 8pm go there first to get some take home treats.