“Exquisitely Delicious, but be prepared for very small portions”

Le Chateau de Joel Robuchon
Ranked #2 of 2,691 Restaurants in Meguro
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Shibuya / Harajuku / Ebisu
Atlanta, GA
“Exquisitely Delicious, but be prepared for very small portions”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

From A to Z, a delicious night out. The Amuse Bouche was a little edgy in flavors but it was followed up by a winning bread cart. About 15 types of breads to choose from, served warm with salted butter. Yummmm. For the entree, VERY small portions. Almost laughable, really. Delicious, but laughably small. Then, dessert was scrumptious. And the dessert cart of mignardises (minis) was a lot of fun. I would do it again, but I would go to the a la carte menu instead of the prix fixe menu and get a larger entree.

• Visited September 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Matawan, New Jersey
“Wonderful food from a beautiful Michelin 3 Star.”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I must start by saying that I am a big fan of Joel Robuchon, and am a frequent visitor to his restaurants in New York, Las Vegas, Paris, and now Tokyo. Joel Robuchon is one of my 2 favorite chefs in the world, and I try not to miss his restaurants during my travels.

On our recent trip to Japan, with my wife and kids, we decided to visit Joel Robuchon restaurant. We made reservations ahead of time via the restaurant’s website, and exchanged several follow-up emails before our dinner. The restaurant kept following-up with me to make sure that we were coming, including checking with our hotel if we checked in yet. I found this somewhat strange, but did not mind.

When we arrived at the restaurant we were offered 4 different menu choices: A 16 course tasting menu, a smaller 7 course menu, a seasonal variant of the 16 course menu, and an a-la-carte option. The a-la-carte was a pleasant surprise, since not many restaurants of this caliber offer the option. We chose the 7-course menu. The food was as good if not better then what we expected. Every course was delicious, well portioned, and beautifully presented.

What was somewhat disappointing was the service. Typical Robuchon establishments offer impeccable service, with perfectly timed courses, unobtrusive staff, with anticipation of customer’s every need. Since Japanese customer service is second to none across all restaurants, hotels, and stores, in Tokyo we expected for the Joel Robuchon staff to be second to none. Unfortunately the service was not what we expected. When we chose not to have wine with dinner and instead decided to have drinks instead the staff seemed surprised, disappointed, and confused. (Does everyone order wine? I prefer good vodka, frozen.) When I tried to find out what kind of vodkas the restaurant had, the waiter had no idea, the bread was not brought over until we asked for it, the butter melted and was running of the butter dish by the time the bread came, etc… Minor annoyances, but at $400 a plate you would expect better. On a positive note, the staff was very proficient in English, and we had no problems communicating.

Besides minor miss-steps in the service, the restaurant offered an amazing meal, and great atmosphere for a very special dinner.

• Visited August 2012
Tokyo, Japan
“Excellent French restaurant.”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This is the 3 Michelin star restaurant in Ebisu Garden Place. There is a 2 star called La Table de Joel Robuchon on the ground floor. Another 2 star called L'Atelier is situated in Roppongi Hills. Recently, I found out he has opened up a couple of cafes around Tokyo too. The Chateau which houses both restaurants, a bakery (amazing bakes!), a salon and some private function area is gorgeous. Service is impeccable. The ambiance at the restaurant is very romantic, classy and quite relaxed. As for the food, just what you would expect from Joel Robuchon and Alain Verzeroli - Perfection. The foei gras was very high quality and the best I have ever had. Fantastic caviar. I also loved the dessert chariot and had a few of their lovely macarons. I purchase them sometimes from the bakery in the same building. They are absolutely divine and my favorite macarons (my favorite flavors are framboise and black sesame). Much better than those 'Kings' of macarons, in my humble opinion. Wine is expensive as is the usual case with high end restaurants. If you don't mind paying through your nose, then I highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited May 2012
Sao Paulo
“Excellent French Top Restaurant”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

What a beautiful French restaurant this is.
One of the first during our Michelin trip to Tokyo and, in our opinion, worth every one of the three Michelin stars (Joel Robuchon group has other restaurants in Tokyo too, some of them with Michelin stars as well, but I guess not three).
Wine service is perfect: you choose from an iPad wine list and, at the end of the meal, receive the label of the wine as a souvenir. Asking for an indication, a good and reasonably priced Burgundy was the chosen bottle.
At the end of the meal, my wife - who loved the bread, a kind of stuffed one - got a gift packed bread to take home. This demonstrates how attentive the staff is, as we did not tell any waiter about the bread (but, of course, have eaten a little more than usual, I guess).
Both the presentation of the dishes, taste and service are excellent. Defintely recommended!
As we were in a tight schedule, with several restaurants to visit, we had lunch at this restaurant, what turned to be very interesting in terms of the cost/benefit ratio (considerably less expensive than dinner).

• Visited November 2011
Sydney, Australia
“Simply perfection”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We dined last weekend here and had the taste experience you would expect - simple perfection in each and every course. Of course some courses resonated more than others but that a taste thing not execution. The meat main dish was quite simply the moat sublime meat extravaganza I have ever experienced. When travelling to japan wantedto dine well and this hit the mark beyond my best expectations . Every morsel of food had a purpose and texture which added to the overall experience - a triumph !!!
We went for lunch and being honest found it quite resonable when compared to some australian meals we have paid for in our time. Service was impecable and we even ventured a Japanese wine which was suprisingly ( only as it was unknown to us ) fantastic
have I raved enough :-)