“Fun way to spend a few hours”

Odaiba Tokyo Oedo-Onsen Monogatari
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Hot Springs of Ooedo Onsen Monogatari Ticket in...
Ranked #1 of 18 Spas & Wellness in Koto
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Toyko's largest artificial hot spring complex is filled with a seemingly never-ending series bathtubs with different temperatures, textures, and foci, such as the special foot baths.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed November 28, 2013

A little out of the way (relative to more touristy parts of Tokyo) but the train ride out to Odaiba takes in some nice views of the harbour and bridge.

The attraction itself is all in good fun - a choice of yukata (male and female patterns differ), a little wrist tag for all food/ machine purchases, and big, steamy baths with an interesting outdoor pool (not much of a view from the male side at least, but nice on a cool day). The full-on nudity of countless strangers might take a little getting used to for some, but recall school gyms/ military showers and soon one is more concerned with getting a place in that nice jacuzzi lie-down bath, or seeing who can soak the longest (don't overdo it, though).

Perfectly foreigner-friendly, and a relaxing (not exactly cheap, but not overpriced either) way to while away some spare hours in sometimes frenetic Tokyo.

3  Thank azeusa
"large towel"
"indoors and outdoors"
"carnival games"

Reviewed November 21, 2013

This is a super fun way to spend an afternoon/evening in Tokyo, especially if the day is cool/rainy. If you stay in the Shiodome area its a super easy 20 minute or so ride on the monorail across the Rainbow bridge to the onsen - its located right across the street from the Telecom center station.

The general procedures here have been covered in great detail by others here so I won't repeat but will just add my personal experience. The massage here was actually one of the better ones I've had, it began immediately after I requested it and overall I thought it was fairly reasonably priced (not cheap by any means but pretty much on par with what I would expect to pay in the US, which for Tokyo is not bad).

The other must do experience here is the 'fish therapy'. For an extra charge (around $10) you can put your feet in a pool and some fish will eat the dead skin. Now based on the description I had heard from others and the picture outside I was thinking ok about 6 or 8 fish are going to leisurely nibble on my feet for a few minutes. I was a little surprised then when as soon as I stuck my feet in the water about 50 fish descended on my feet. After the initial shock of feeling like your being devoured by a black swarm it actually feels like your feet are getting a little massage.

The place is very foreigner friendly, family friendly - I would put it on a must do list if spending a few days in Tokyo.

3  Thank TravelinMan612
Reviewed November 13, 2013

After been taken here by my other half who has been here on a few occasions, I decided to give it a go.

Now after a lot of instruction (much of what you will find a few reviews below I will not go over) took the plunge so to speak. Now in other European countries spas (the nearest thing to an onsen) are quite normal to be naked often mixed sexes (not here) but to many buttoned up British (like me) its a bit of a struggle....as seen by 2 couples who really lost their bottle and could not do it...anyway.

It was not to busy the time we went in cost 1,980yen (which does change price at different times) which includes your yukata (choose your design) and towel. I knew about the meeting area where you can have drinks/food and other activities so decided on a time to meet up later on.

After all the faffing about with keys/lockers clothes on/off finally got to the baths. A good selection of temperatures of pools/jacuzzi and a sauna. as well as a treatment room for massages and the like. However the womens outdoor area which not only includes the open air bath but the foot bath was closed for refurbishment. Now this is not advised upon entry and no reduction in cost is given for the loss of these facilities. Given lots of people want to be outside in the open think you should be told beforehand.

Anyway after boiling myself to a lobster colour decided to meet up, as I was getting a tad light headed.

The good thing with the washing facilities is that you have a small amount of privacy with dividers between the washing stalls and I did notice a couple of full height showers cubicles (don't remember if there was a curtain?) Other than that when in Rome....plenty of toiletries to use and quite pleasant to use. Facilities for drying your hair and putting make up on etc for women are good with hairdryers etc provided.

Back into the yukata with underwear underneath meet up out side for a cold beer, no need for money as your wristband has a number and this is scanned and you pay as you leave.

I really enjoyed my visit and would go again, but when we were leaving the 'q' to get in was huge and really dont know if I would like that many people around me, just a personal observation. Oh and just to reiterate you will not be allowed in with any tattoos this is stipulated many times on posters and as you enter, and if you loose your key it 2000yen replacement

So as its a bit out of the way (but not if your near the Yurikamone line) give it a go...you never know you may even like it..have fun!!

3  Thank Englandsscout
Reviewed November 10, 2013

First of all what to bring with you: nothing! Being used to spas in Sweden we brought, bathing suits, shampoos, hairbrushes, etc, etc. Completely unnecessary! All I used was my hairbrush and my face cream, and actually hairbrushes were provided, I just prefered my own.
Great place to go if you are a couple since most onsens are totally separated men/women.
There are two areas. The first is a common area where you are expected to walk around with the japanese kimono-looking outfit (just your undies underneath) and you can eat, go to outdoor foot spa or pay for some other services (regular masages, fish foot spa, etc). Then there is the actual onsen part which is separate men/women. There were several pools of different temperatures, one "cold" one (20 degrees I think, so not cold by Swedish standards!), two saunas and a bubbly pool that you could lay in. All good fun. Unfortunately the outdoor part was closed for women when I was there, but my husband enjoyed the men's one. There is a clock there so that is good if you have decided on a time to meet afterwards. After bathing and being in saunas, you clean yourself and they have everything there you could need, shampoos, conditioners, foot scrub, etc. Then you go inside, dry yourself up and there are even more hair and body products (nice stuff, my hair was so soft!), hairdryers, etc. Basically all you need, as I mentioned!
Very different from European spa, much noisier in common area and much more focus on getting clean than just chilling. Highly recommended if you are traveling in a couple, but if you are same sex I would probably take a more traditional onsen for a more authentic experience.

6  Thank KarenSarah_12