“If you want real NYC style pizza, this is the ONLY place in Tokyo serving it.”

Rocco's New York Style Pizza
Ranked #750 of 1,715 Restaurants in Kita
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Cash Only, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Akabane / Itabashi
Description: Authentic New York style pizza by the slice or pie in Oji, Tokyo. Stepping into Rocco's is like stepping into a pizzeria in NYC!
Tokyo, Japan
“If you want real NYC style pizza, this is the ONLY place in Tokyo serving it.”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Pizza in NY is a special thing. If you grew up in New York, chances are you ate it -at least- once a week. It's hard not to when there's a pizza joint seemingly on every corner. Here in Tokyo, you have to go a little out of the way to Oji, but the taste and atmosphere is there. The staff is very friendly and the pizza is great. I'd consider it a good slice in NYC standards. I guess out here the quality of ingredients offered must be top notch and at Rocco's there is no option of cutting any corners in cost and quality. It might be pricier than what we pay back home, but it's worth it, I think. If you need a slice of NY Pizza, Rocco's is the place to check out. You know as they say... "You've tried all the rest, now try the best!!!" (in Tokyo at least)

• Visited December 2012

Tokyo
“Really good, but $5 per slice is tough to swallow”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I've been hearing about this place from other American expats here in Tokyo for a couple of years. "Real New York Style Pizza in Japan!" Sounds good to me!

Last weekend, I finally had a chance to drop by and check it out.

I was greeted by a Japanese employee working the counter — and I was ignored by an American guy tossing the dough. He looked straight at me, kind of frowned, and turned away. It felt odd, because in Japan, acknowledging the customer with a smile and a cheerful "Welcome!" (in Japanese) is expected and proper etiquette for all service workers.

But you know what? I actually LIKED the fact I was being dismissed by a service-industry employee. It felt like I was in the Big Apple rather than the Big Mikan!

Another thing I liked — Rocco's sells by the slice. No need to buy a whole pie if you just want a quick bite to go. Perfect!

My pepperoni slice was really tasty. A fair amount of cheese, a half-dozen pieces of meat, and real pizza grease (practically unheard of in Japan). Not quite the best pizza I've had in Japan, but close to it.

The slice could have (indeed, SHOULD have) been a bit larger, though — especially considering it cost me 425 yen (about $5). I realize pizza ingredients (especially good cheese) are a lot more expensive in Japan than in the States. But not THAT much more expensive. The size-price ratio will probably keep me from becoming a Rocco's regular. I'll definitely be back, just not every weekend.

I was also disappointed that Rocco's only seems to serve "regular" slices, no Sicilian. Add that to the menu, and I'll have an even harder time staying away.

• Visited January 2013