“Wow! Superb sushi.”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Reviewed October 3, 2017

We have eaten a lot of sushi over the years and living in Australia means it is usually pretty ordinary. As my husband is Japanese we have also had some great sushi in Japan. We were sceptical as to whether Kyubey would live up to its reputation as we are often disappointed when we try well know restaurants that seem to trade on their name.
All I can say is that we were impressed. The sushi was absolutely top level and the setting was true Japanese style. My mouth is watering just thinking about the huge, sweet scallops. We went for lunch which is always more reasonably priced in Japan. My husband and I ate the 'oribe' course which was really filling and great value for such quality at 7,500yen pp( and due to their birthday celebration we received another 2,000yen discount off that!) my Japanese sister in law and husband had the 'omakase, course which included one more piece of sushi, chawan mushi and a small dessert. They were equally as happy with the quality and we have all vowed to go back on our next visit to Tokyo!. The staff were friendly and the chef serving our sushi asked if there were any particular things we didn't like and replaced the two items I'm not so keen on with substitutes - which isn't always possible in Japan.

Date of visit: October 2017
2  Thank tadzy

Reviewed September 30, 2017 via mobile

An amazing sushi experience. Pricey, but so worth it (about $200 per person). I highly recommend to sit at the counter. Watching the sushi chef prepare the food is half the fun. The staff is friendly, the owner came out and spoke to us about the history of the restaurant, and the chef was amazing to watch and very nice. The sushi simply melts in your mouth. Best Sushi we ever had!

Reviewed September 28, 2017

One of my favorite activities when visiting Japan is to visit local sushi restaurants. I've visited Kyubey only a few days ago and immediately amazed by the perfection that the meals are prepared. The chef advises you how each piece is eaten making the experience even greater. Worths every penny!

Reviewed September 26, 2017 via mobile

Is it trading on its reputation? Possibly. Don't get me wrong the food was very good indeed (but not truly great). We were at one of the counter seating areas and the interaction with the chef added to the experience as he prepared our food right in front of us. HOWEVER, the restaurant has no bar or waiting area. The restaurant was supposed to call us when they were ready for us to leave but after 20 minutes past our 8pm reservation time I asked the hotel to call them which probably should have set alarm bells off in hindsight. When we got there it was chaotic to say the least. Lots of smilingly apologetic front of house staff unable to do anything else. Lots of people like us just hanging around in the way of each other and everyone else. A proper shambles. Totally unprofessional and blatant greedy profiteering by taking on more bookings than they can cope with and hoping that people hang around long enough until they can find a table for them. By then its late and of course one has little choice other than to wait it out as finding an alternative at the last minute anywhere let alone on Tokyo is out of the question. By the way our reservation was made 2 months in advance. So go by all means but go early and get your hotel to get a guarantee from them that you will be seated on time and then I think you will have a good dining experience with them

Reviewed September 24, 2017

We came here on the last night of our trip to Japan and it was absolutely amazing. We made reservations ahead of time through our hotel concierge. The staff was so friendly and nice (and most spoke english as well). We went for the 12-course omakase and everything was excellent. I personally do not like uni and it was a non-issue having the 1 course replaced. The meal was very enjoyable and we chatted with our sushi chef the entire time. The live shrimp was an added bonus :)