“Superb sushi lunch”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Had lunch at Kyubei in Ginza today, following a recommendation from a couple from San Francisco and was not disappointed. Hard to find, but once I did, was treated to a sublime sushi lunch. Service was also very good and good light banter with the sushi chefs. I paid 5,775 yen for lunch, which included 10 pieces of sushi, miso soup, salad and some rolls (plus lots of green tea). I love the way they bring out the langoustine alive, so you really do know it's fresh. Tuna was dead, but won't mark them down for that. If you want top quality sushi with excellent service and a nice setting, but without a massive price tag, I'm not sure you'll find much better. Dinner is a bit steeper I think, but probably still worth it.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

The upscale sushi at Kyubey is a delicious feast. The evening started with a kimono clad escort across the street to our table. The sushi bar was set for 11 diners, and was half full when we arrived at 7PM. There were two sushi chefs to serve the 11 guests. Ours was Mori. We ordered the omekase (chefs menu) which is a 13 course meal that the chef decides. You can tell him preferences or dislikes in advance and he'll adjust, but we went with the set menu so we could experience it all. The food was delicious. Naturally there were some courses we enjoyed more than others but if you don't try it all how will you know? Our favorites were the bonito and toro. The live shrimp were a real kick too. Each course consists of a single piece of sushi, hand crafted by the chef. Mori chatted us up while we ate. Impressively, he was naming our sushi for us in English while naming it for the couple dining next to us in Italian. Service is fabulous. Two dinners with one carafe of sake cost around $250. Many people dress up for dInner but its not required I would definitely recommend

1  Thank Liz L
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The service is impeccable. I think that really made the difference. Every dish was explained in Japanese and English, which made it easy for us to understand what we were eating.

I was expecting a bit different sushi, however, it was very fresh and with good history too. Try sitting in the sushi bar. I think it builds more of the experience.

The tuna cheeks is great! it is the first time i tried it. Teppanyaki style. It is just a bit pricey though but that's what you pay for fresh sushi and great service.

Finally, the chef went around and took photos with us. I think that made a real difference to see who is actually doing your sushi.

1  Thank WRGopenRoad
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Lunch here is reasonably priced for one of the most prestigeous sushi restaurants in Tokyo.Highly recommended.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Definitely the best sushi I've had in Japan and really anywhere else.

Whereas as sometimes it's hard to separate one sushi restaurant from another, with Kyubei there is a distinct difference. It is a little bit more expensive but well worth it.

We went with the chef's recommendation and enjoyed all the choices made for us.