“Delicious. Very, very delicious.”

Kyubey Main Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 8,557 Restaurants in Chuo
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I have been about 5-6 times in the last 5+ years and every time it surpasses expectations.

It is not necessarily a slow-paced experience. Rather, the food comes quick and you won't be there for hours upon hours with a meal that doesn't seem to end. Things are precise, to the point, and always with a purpose. There is no "extra" fluff.

That being said, wow. I'm sure all the other reviewers will crow about the flavor, preparation, and taste, so I don't need to mention that.

This is a place that I don't mind spending a couple hundred dollars (per person) to eat this way. If you are in Tokyo and are looking for something good, this is it.

Is it the "best" sushi you can get? I don't know, and I'm not interested in arguing about it. But this certainly is one of the top places.

3  Thank TheEveningPaper

Reviewed May 27, 2013

If you have longed for eating sushi in Japan look no further than to Kyubei in Ginza Tokyo. The chef was a lovely and fun man, used to Western incompetence and he gave us gentle instruction on how eat and explaining what we ate, but overall making sure that we were comfortable. The sushi bits were served quickly and each and every one were spectacular in taste and structure. Some bits were so fresh that they were alive only minutes before you swallowed it. Sensasional. I long to return!

4  Thank Hanica
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Sushi enters my diet ~monthly so you might imagine my palate is hard to be awakened by the usual range of taste and sensation. Kyubei broke out of the crowd because their sushi sang in my mouth! The decor is nothing unusual - a typical layout on the 2nd floor of a crowded Ginza dining street. We dined Omakase, meaning chef produced the sequence and mix as he sees fit. Throughout our 2 hour meal, soya sauce with wasabi paste never showed up, not even the genuine wasabi root which is shaved. Each piece has the chef's special sauce, carefully, lovingly, sparingly applied so the underlying taste of the flesh and the sensations of ingredients playing off the texture of the fish have a chance to come to their fullest expression. . Chio toro (A+) セミトロ i.e. semi fatty tuna, was creamy, smooth and superior to the usual toro (fatty tuna) which has sinuous/fibrous texture imbedded in fatty parts. Bonito with finely crushed garlic and a lick of lime was perhaps the best single sushi I ever had (A+). Japanese Blue Fish 日本の青魚(A). The meal was very expensive but once in a while one's palate needs to be singing again with the freshest fish with most subtle of sauces. Will definitely come again when my palate is jaded by too much regular sushi.

2  Thank sunnyboy9
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

I swear I'm not easy to please. But I loved it here. A business partner asked us to a dinner in ginza during our 2 day stay near tokyo. I didn't know that kyubei was this celebrated place- a place even most Japanese consider the best sushi place. The interior is minimal, simple, and to the point. Nothing's there just for decoration. The setup confused me a bit at first because I thought-omg a tiny restaurant! Only seating for a handful on the first floor?! But I got on the elevator and was taken to the fifth floor. I impressed by the interior decoration because nothing was overly modern or ostentatious as I've seen before (ie morimoto). The focus was on the food, the ingredients, and grey service. This was one place where we did not need to ask the waitress for more matcha or iced water. They were a step ahead of us! If the sushi chef said something we never heard him say a word to them- great service. Ok and the 12-13 course meal? I think I lost count but I wish I took pictures of all of the meals!!! So beautifully and simply put
together. Btw, completely floored by their authentic Japanese ingredients (Japanese potato??) and the largest abalone shell I've ever seen. I wish I could have bought that shell from them after we ate the abalone. Sigh.

Overall, an excellent experience. I won't go into detail anymore. Amazing. You seriously won't be disappointed.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

This is really japonese restaurant,the food is very delicious,fresh,the chef is cooking special dishes,during dinner hi entertains the guests and helpers,the price 10000 Y per person!