All reviews main building kayabacho station annoying thing is rooms are small tokyo station budget hotel tozai line stayed here for nights double bed speak english typical japanese business hotel coin operated japanese channels convenience store buffet breakfast clean hotel convenient location
Reviewed May 21, 2016

Our first 3 nights in Japan. Actually the area was quite nice to start here, close to Tokyo Station and Ginza. The hotel it self was moderate, although with very clean beds, and bathroom. But we did not know you will find that all-over Japan in 2 or 3 star hotels: clean is really clean. The size was our biggest problem: I think 12 square meters. Complete with night wear, slippers, pocket light, mention it, it is there. Breakfast is very Japanese.
For us the most important: the bike rental is just around the corner, we took bikes for two days and got a perfect impression of Tokyo.

Room Tip: no idea, the street is quiet, windows can not be opened!
  • Stayed: May 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2016 via mobile

Exceeded all our expectations. Room was well equipped, spacious enough for Tokyo. We thought we had to walk further from the station but the entrance was right next door. It is right next to two convenient stores, family mart and poplar. There is also a chemist opposite the hotel. It was also on the cusp of an inner city suburb where you could walk to get cheap filling meals for dinner or lunch.

You can walk to nihonbashi station in 10 minutes, and Tokyo station in 20 minutes on the same street. We also saw a lot of salary men and women, very good for people watching from our window view!

The buffet breakfast was varied enough and tasty with good strong coffee. The staff were always very polite and friendly.

Very impressed with this hotel.

Stayed: May 2016, traveled as a couple
3  Thank A N
Reviewed April 24, 2016

• Stayed: April 2016, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Amoma.com
Reviewed March 22, 2016

Note: I stayed at this hotel in April of 2001. I just can't choose a date earlier than April 2015.

Hotel Villa Fontaine in Kayabacho is the first hotel I ever stayed at in Tokyo. I was visiting my girlfriend at the time and she worked close by so this was doubly good for both of us.

It's not too far from the Tokyo station, in fact you can practically walk it although it might take you about half an hour, your best bet is to take either the Tozai or Hibiya lines as they will both take you to a 2-3 minute walk to the door.

Forgive me as I don't remember too many details, this being some 15 years ago, but the room was comfortable if average in size for a Japanese room. Let's just say that with two people staying there it was a little crowded.

There was a free breakfast served downstairs every day. Not much to be had other than hard boiled eggs, do it yourself cole slaw, toast and coffee or tea. But it was better than nothing. There are several buildings in the area that are not connected to the main hotel but are still operating under the same umbrella. One if off to the side a bit and the other down the street a little ways.

These "satellite" buildings have no front desk and you need to go to the main building to check in / out as well as to have breakfast. I do remember a couple of vending machines in the lobby and the TV system had a sort of payment card that you needed to purchase and add credits to if you wanted to watch something. Don't really bother with the TV, it's all in Japanese and there's very little choice.

It was a memorable stay and it's on the list of hotels I'd recommend for a budget traveler.

• Stayed: April 2015, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2016

I've stayed here a few times over the years. It was by chance and a little exploring that first led me here. From Tokyo station it's just a couple subway stops and then a 7 minute walk. It is important to come out the right subway exit (3) because you just walk straight out and continue down the road - it's on the right side just after a river bridge. For Tokyo, this is a very reasonably priced hotel and there is a simple but good breakfast in the morning that is included with the room rate. The staff are all very friendly and eager to help with visitor information.

• Stayed: July 2015, traveled solo