Outstanding service is hard to pull off. Many top rated hotels try too hard with service and it comes off as forced or fake. The Mandarin Oriental Tokyo has the best service of any hotel we have ever stayed at... Here is why: Every member of the staff goes out of their way to be helpful without going over the top and making you feel uncomfortable or crowded. The check-in was flawless. We had ordered baseball tickets from a third party service and they were sitting on the desk in the room when we got in. The concierge was extremely helpful. We had the same server at breakfast for the 4 days we were there and it is hard to call him a server. By the end of our stay, I wanted to call him a friend! Whatever training Mandarin is doing is cut above the rest. The staff make you feel at home and meet every need while making the whole experience feel genuine.
As far as the hotel itself, the views are incredible, the restaurants are great and overpriced, and the location suited our needs very well. Let's go to the pros and cons:
1. Service Service Service- we covered it above!
2. Stunning Rooms and View- We got a slight upgrade at checkin for being Platinum American Express members(see more below on that) and the view was awesome! We looked directly toward the Tokyo Sky Tree and had some amazing scenes day and night. The room was large and the bathroom was awesome. Although I haven't stayed at any other hotels in Tokyo as of yet, I cannot imagine a hotel with better rooms.
3. Location- The hotel is in Chuo, which is the heart of Finance in Tokyo. Some people complain that the location is not ideal, but we thought it was ideal. There is a Tokyo Metro station directly below the hotel which makes life easy. Tokyo is huge and we were concerned before going about the location, but having a close metro station makes life easy. We could walk to Ginza in 10-15 mins. There were some great close restaurants. You must go to the basement food court in the Mitsukoshi department store which is a 2 minute walk for the hotel. My wife died and went to Heaven in that place!
The best part about the location is this. Some parts of Tokyo never sleep or relax. It is hard to relax in a hotel that is in the middle of the action all the time. This location is relatively calm at night, which makes it very relaxing. A relaxing location is a premium in Tokyo....
4. Good Deal- this is not a cheap hotel by any stretch. Yet, we did get a fantastic package from American Express. For staying 4 nights, we got the 4th night free. Included with this deal was breakfast everyday and a $100 food and beverage credit for the stay. If you are staying for 4 days, check this offer out on the Amex website.
Very hard to find any fault with the hotel. If i were to nitpick, I would say the breakfast buffet was a tad skimpy compared to other hotels of such a high level. The service at breakfast, however, was so good that is is very hard to find fault with it. They could improve selection, but the quality was high.
Awesome travel experience and my wife did not want to leave! I don't blame her one bit!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo's visionary design and award-winning service has been recognised as the epitome of sophisticated luxury in the city. Superbly located in the prestigious financial district within the historical and cultural centre of Tokyo, the first Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group property in Japan embodies the best of contemporary and time-honoured architectural splendour. The hotel features 178 luxuriously appointed guest rooms and suites, ten restaurants and bars and an award-winning spa situated within the soaring, Cesar Pelli-designed Nihonbashi Mitsui Tower. The site offers spectacular views of the city skyline while providing access to stately banquet and conference facilities within the adjacent Mitsui Main Building, a Japanese cultural-heritage property. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Mandarin Oriental, Booking.com, Hotels.com, JAPANiCAN, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Rakuten, Orbitz, Hotwire, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo Hotel Chuo
- Mandarin Oriental Hotel Tokyo
- Mandarin Oriental Chuo
- Mandarin Tokyo
- Chuo Mandarin Oriental
- Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo Japan