2,205 results
All reviewsmount fujiconcierge teampizza barbottega venetapark hyattgrand roomluxury hotelpillow menufloor to ceiling windowsfour seasonsamazing hotelmitsukoshimae stationmitsukoshi department storechinese restaurantsushirestaurant reservationsbreakfast buffet
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

We did a three day stay here in September and still remember it fondly.

The good

-Excellent breakfast buffet that puts most others to shame. It was inventive, delicious and a beautiful sight to dine at in the morning. My wife wished there were more Japanese breakfast items though. I was satisfied with the well-made dim sums.

- attentive porters and bell hops. Kind and friendly and always around.

-.pillow bedtime menu. Choose your preferences for a good nights sleep

- free jazz event on Saturday nights with more.creative food in Asian tapas

The Bad
- take a cab from Tokyo station. It's farther when you have bags in hand but not a bad walk from the Nihonbashi Yaesu exit.

- housekeeping does great work but they should have left when my wife and I were getting ready for a function. It's only common sense that you vacate when the guests come back in.

- Spa is small and an extra charge.

We liked the MO but there's others in Tokyo to check out on our next stay.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I am normally a budget traveller under my own steam, however I ended up with some amazing luck and was able to stay at the Mandarin Oriental as part of a work trip in August. What an experience! The staff were friendly and attentive from the first moment I stepped in to the moment I left, which fitted exactly with what I had heard of Japanese culture. The staff around the 37th floor bar and restaurant area would even remind us to watch our step everywhere around the area (a few steps around). We were taken by individual staff members and went through the check in process in our rooms! I found out later they normally do this for VIP's and celebrities, so I felt quite special! I couldn't get over the view from my room (which, even though was a standard room, was quite large), the cityscape is amazing and I slept with the curtains open! We had a cocktail reception outside the Chinese restaurant and the canapes were great, good selection of wine, and the breakfast buffet was fantastic. My only... ONLY... complain is that, as a non-smoker who is not used to smoking inside, is that from the reception area on the 38th floor you can smell the smoke from the bar area on the 37th floor. I don't mind too much, but I know other non-smokers would kick up a massive fuss about this. There are some great little local eateries around the Nihonbashi area, and although the hotel is walking distance to the Imperial Palace gardens, there is a rail station right underneath the hotel so it makes it really easy to get anywhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Skytree - on that side of the hotel, on some nights there are fireworks from Disneyland, and just seeing the city lit up at night is amazing!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 30, 2013

This hotel is absolutely brilliant! The rooms have a great view, good facilities, and are of a great size. The staff are very polite, efficient and good humoured, they also helped out when we were had a hitch to our travel plans due to the typhoon. The breakfast selection is outstanding. We ate in a couple of restaurants, which were very good and obviously the service is excellent.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 27, 2013

My husband & I started our 2-week Japan holiday with three days at the Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo. We'd never been to the country before and, knowing how jet-lag hits when flying East, thought we'd truly treat ourselves while we re-adjusted.

Tokyo is as vast, loud, neon and crazy as we imagined it might be, so the Mandarin Oriental, located less than 10 minutes walk from Tokyo Station, became our haven.

It took us some effort to find the hotel entrance the first time, located in what otherwise seems to be an office building, but after that it was easy. Perched some 30 floors up, it has incredible views of the city. We didn't bother going to the SkyTree in the end, as the hotel view was so good.

We've never been to a Mandarin Oriental before so I have no frame of reference relatively, however, I'm usually suspicious of anything that's part of a chain, no matter how small and luxurious that chain is. I was very pleasantly surprised - it had the feeling that all the decor was unique for that location - and, true to Japanese form, decor was beautiful.

Our room was huge, which I wasn't expecting.

Service was as gracious as we experienced throughout Japan - your bags always carried all 30 floors down and to the front door.

Any negatives? - we enjoyed drinks at the bar when we returned from dinner - fantastic ambience, better than anywhere we could find out. But, cocktail making isn't their forte. Hendrix and tonic served with lime, not cucumber and one spicy cocktail I had to send back because it was burning my mouth. It's a minor point. Also extras are insanely expensive. We just couldn't justify the spa costs. But then again, this isn't trying to be a budget-friendly choice. Just felt these were over-priced, even for a luxury hotel.

Overall - absolutely wonderful, perfect start to the holiday, would absolutely recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I have stayed in most of the five star hotels in Tokyo and the Mandarin Oriental is now my new favorite. The ambience is lovely, the service is superb (just ask, and whatever you need is promptly provided), the rooms are spacious, elegant and comfortable and the location is excellent. There is no bad view from the hotel. If you aren't afraid to take the subway, the station is connected to the hotel. Even better, Mitsukoshi, with its over-the-top food hall, is connected underground to the hotel. The hotel's food is extremely expensive, but the wonderful comprehensive breakfast buffet (everything from flaky croissant to dim sum) is well worth it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends