2,203 results
All reviewsmount fujiconcierge teampizza barbottega venetapark hyattgrand roomluxury hotelpillow menufloor to ceiling windowsfour seasonsamazing hotelmitsukoshimae stationmitsukoshi department storechinese restaurantsushirestaurant reservationsbreakfast buffet
Reviewed September 27, 2013

My husband & I started our 2-week Japan holiday with three days at the Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo. We'd never been to the country before and, knowing how jet-lag hits when flying East, thought we'd truly treat ourselves while we re-adjusted.

Tokyo is as vast, loud, neon and crazy as we imagined it might be, so the Mandarin Oriental, located less than 10 minutes walk from Tokyo Station, became our haven.

It took us some effort to find the hotel entrance the first time, located in what otherwise seems to be an office building, but after that it was easy. Perched some 30 floors up, it has incredible views of the city. We didn't bother going to the SkyTree in the end, as the hotel view was so good.

We've never been to a Mandarin Oriental before so I have no frame of reference relatively, however, I'm usually suspicious of anything that's part of a chain, no matter how small and luxurious that chain is. I was very pleasantly surprised - it had the feeling that all the decor was unique for that location - and, true to Japanese form, decor was beautiful.

Our room was huge, which I wasn't expecting.

Service was as gracious as we experienced throughout Japan - your bags always carried all 30 floors down and to the front door.

Any negatives? - we enjoyed drinks at the bar when we returned from dinner - fantastic ambience, better than anywhere we could find out. But, cocktail making isn't their forte. Hendrix and tonic served with lime, not cucumber and one spicy cocktail I had to send back because it was burning my mouth. It's a minor point. Also extras are insanely expensive. We just couldn't justify the spa costs. But then again, this isn't trying to be a budget-friendly choice. Just felt these were over-priced, even for a luxury hotel.

Overall - absolutely wonderful, perfect start to the holiday, would absolutely recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I have stayed in most of the five star hotels in Tokyo and the Mandarin Oriental is now my new favorite. The ambience is lovely, the service is superb (just ask, and whatever you need is promptly provided), the rooms are spacious, elegant and comfortable and the location is excellent. There is no bad view from the hotel. If you aren't afraid to take the subway, the station is connected to the hotel. Even better, Mitsukoshi, with its over-the-top food hall, is connected underground to the hotel. The hotel's food is extremely expensive, but the wonderful comprehensive breakfast buffet (everything from flaky croissant to dim sum) is well worth it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 20, 2013

The greatest hotel in Tokyo, excellent service, food, amenities and service. The staff will pamper you at the maximum. The view that the lobby and the rooms have is breathtaking. Any assistance you might need as a japanese non speaker the concierge will sort it out for you and help you with anything you might need. From the momento you book, everything runs smoothly, you kind of feel sad to leave the place when you check out.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We've stayed in other Mandarin Oriental hotels and have always been very impressed with the excellent level of personal service, however, we felt the Tokyo MO didn't live up to our expectations. The staff were friendly when we checked in and out, but for the majority of our stay they did not interact with us at all. I think there was only two times during our 4 day stay that there was someone at the lifts or entrance to the hotel. Normally, that wouldn't matter to us but we do expect more from MO.

The room we were in had an excellent view of the city that was even more spectacular at night. Other than that the room was nice and comfortable with pleasant amenities. I thought the bathroom could have been more nicely designed though. I was not a fan of the shower since it seemed rather cold and breezy without a door. Also, the water pressure was not very good and the rain head was completely useless because of the size of the shower.

The room service we ordered on one night was really excellent though. The staff member that brought it was very nice and conscientious, even down to being concerned that the burger we ordered had slide and the bun and some of the toppings had shifted. Honestly, I think she might have been the one staff member that really lived up to the high MO standards we have seen at other properties.

Overall, our stay was pleasant but it wasn't as spectacular as I had expected from a Mandarin Oriental. I will say though that the price represented a very good value. The hotel is impeccably clean and while not outrageous spectacular, was very nice.

Room Tip: I imagine all of the rooms have great views because you are so high up. We were in a room that was to have a Mt. Fuji view, but it wasn't a bit visible during our stay.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KMPeterson
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We were so excited to spend 4 nights here during Holy Week in a suite only to be sadly disappointed in the end. This is the only Mandarin Oriental I have been to in the world that I will not be returning to.
Pros -- Beautiful views from the room and lobby, Breakfast and the personalized service of the waitstaff during breakfast. Subway stop and restaurants right underneath the hotel.

Cons -- everything else. All other Mandarins are very accommodating and they don't really say "am sorry we cannot ____" to their customers, they generally do all possible to accommodate requests. Here they could not give us an upgrade (even if our reservation had automatic upgrade if available, they were giving us a smoking room even if I mentioned that we had a toddler and requested non smoking, in the end they gave us a non smoking room with a so so view ), they could not give us a late checkout, they could not give us a bill where the billing format matched the confirmed rate we booked (they are the ONLY hotel in the world that I could not for the life of me understand the bill). They did not tidy up/fix our room properly -- the curtains were always hanging on a piece of furniture in the living room and never fully closed or opened (so we had to fix this every time we came back in the evening). Our toiletries and other items by the bathroom sink were never organized and left unkempt (I thought all hotels generally fixed/tidied up all items in the bathroom). Our TV did not work for the first day and on the last 3 days, you had to point the remote control literally about 5 inches from the tv for it to actually work. So I could not watch tv in bed, I had to get up each time I wanted to change the channel. They did not have pillows for my toddlers crib. For room service the items we ordered were miniscule - they looked like amuse bouches instead of main courses. Even my easily satisfied toddler was hungry after his meal. For a supposedly 6 star hotel this should not be happening. We frequent Japan and have stayed at the Conrad, Park Hyatt and Hyatt Regency in Kyoto and we felt much more special during our stays there. I am not a fan of this Mandarin.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank DharmaHMC
MOTYO, 営業ディレクター at Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you very much for your recent stay at Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo and for taking the time to share your comments with us.

It is with great concern that we learned about your unpleasant experience and please allow us to extend our deepest apologies for the disappointment and inconvenience your family had experienced.

Please rest assured that your feedback has been shared with the relevant departments. We assure you that we will continue to strive on providing better service. However, in order for us to appropriately follow up on the specific areas of concern, we would appreciate should you wish to discuss your experience further, to please contact us.

We hope that you shall allow us the opportunity to welcome you back so we may showcase the kind of hospitality for which Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo has become renowned.

Yours sincerely