“Fantastic”

Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo
Ranked #1 of 96 Hotels / Ryokan in Chuo
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Staying here on occasion, this is truly professional service. Personally it was the perfect experiance for me because i was at an important moment in my life, the excellence of the hotel put my mind to ease and i was able to reach the right conclusion, amazing days and nights. You can't complain about anything, they met, and exceeded the expectations at every turn. I now live not long from here it's nice, like having stepped into a dream, it stays with me now.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Shiki R
Write a ReviewReviews (2,002)

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Last time I went to Tokyo, I was struggling to afford any hotel. Some years later, it was a matter of which 5 star hotel would give me the best experience Toyko hotels have to offer. For me, it came down to a choice between the Park Hyatt (in Shinjuku), the Peninsula or the Mandarin Oriental. I spent a lot of time researching these fine hotels. Having had a drink at the bar in Park Hyatt (the same one that Bill Murray drank at in "Lost in Translation") last time I was in Tokyo and realising that the Park Hyatt really is stuck in the middle of nowhere a 15 minute walk from Shinjuku station in the middle of Govt office buildings that are dead at night (and not wanting to stay in such a deathly boring location), I chose the MO over the Penisula. I still don't know if I made the right choice, because so many reviews of those other hotels talk about how good they are. I have not stayed at those other hotels so cannot comment on them.

However, what I do know is that the guest experience I had at MO Tokyo was one of the very best hotel guest experienes I have had anywhere in the world (and I have stayed at some fine hotels around the world), so those other hotels would have to do an absolutely amazing job to exceed the experience at MO Tokyo.

Concierges - these guys were absolutle winners. Setsu, Eriko and Yoko were brilliant. I started emailing them as soon as I made my reservation - weeks before I arrived at the hotel. They emailed me itineraries, Japanese phrases that I requested, organised baseball tickets for me got me dinner at an Iron Chef restaurant (Chef Michiba's in Ginza - Rokusan Tei - hint, I did not enjoy it and would not go again). When I arrived, they were constantly helping me while I was there. These guys are legends. Some of the best concierges I have ever encountered. MO Tokyo should double their pay checks.

The hotel itself sits on the top 8 or so floors of a modern office tower in Nihonbashi, right next to the Japanese central business district (as opposed to the ex-pat CBD in Ropponggi in mid-Tokyo). As soon as you catch the lift to the reception floor you will be captivated by the breathtaking views of Tokyo that you can see from the floor to ceiling windows all around you. Even the well-equipped and modern gym (which faced north to Akihabara) has that amazing view out the window.

The restaurants are wonderful at MO Tokyo. We tried all of them and had great experiences at them. The Swiss Italian guy who is one of the Managers in the breakfast area provides wonderful service to foreigners, but so do all the other staff members. The Cantonese restaurant was first rate - couldn't imagine that it would match Man Wah or Lung King Heen (both in HK) but it was right up there with them. Very impressive, given that it's in Tokyo not HK.

The rooms - I have read some varying reviews on Tripadvisor of the rooms at MO Tokyo. We stayed in one of the better and bigger rooms - an Oriental Suite. This was a wonderful room on the corner of the building with 270 views from west through north to east. I would recommend a westerly view as it gives you a view of Mt Fuji. Only problem was we were there in June. I had not realised but many Japanese people told me that is the one month it rains a lot and you cannot see My Fuiji. Sure enough, I never saw it, but I saw Fuji-san in August many years ago when I was previously in Japan. Hint - if you want to see Mt Fuji, don't go to Japan in June. The Oriental Suites are beautifully appointed rooms, just lovely. The showers have 3 shower heads, there's a huge bath and everything you need, even a pair of binoculars for a bit of people spotting! But I cannot comment on the more standard rooms, as I did not stay in those rooms. There is even a MO Tokyo cake shop downstairs selling amazing pastries, cakes and breads and chocolates.

Other than the fact that my room was beautiful and the bar and restaurants were amazing, what sets out MO Tokyo as memorable is PERFECT LUXURIOUS SERVICE. The Service at MO Tokto was incredible. Nothing was too difficult for anyone. See above regarding the concierges. There was allways a friendly welcome for us when we left and returned to the hotel. When we arrived from Hakone on the bullet train, 2 MO Tokyo staff members met us at the platform and helped us take two taxis from Tokyo train station to the MO Tokyo. They are not based at the train station. They came from the hotel to meet us after I called them saying I was not sure how to get to the hotel. Now that's service!

Right underneath the hotel, there is an escalotor down to an underground train station on the metro network. It could not be closer. It is in the same building. Kanda, the nearest JR train station is barely a 5 minute walk away. Mitsukoshi's flagship department store is just across the world. It's a perfect location.

Cost - MO Tokyo is an expensive hotel If you are budget conscious (like I was on my first trip to Tokyo) then don't even consider this hotel. However, if budget is not as much of an issue, then this hotel becomes an option.

MO Tokyo has left me with a dilemma - when I next go back to Tokyo, do I try those other first rate hotels or do I go back to MO Tokyo? The problem is that I have been to so many nice hotels around the world that I know when I have found somewhere that is amazing. And that's the problem. MO Tokyo is amazing. As much as I would like to try those other hotels, I cannot imagine going back to Tokyo and NOT staying at MO Tokyo. I love this hotel so much that it will pull me back next time I visit Tokyo. This is surely one of the very finest hotels in the world. Dear readers, how many times do you say that about a hotel?

Room Tip: Ask for West facing room if you want to see Mt Fuji (but not in June when it always rains) or an Eas...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
11  Thank One_Small_Step1969
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Hotel lobby ison 38th floor and they only have abt 100 rooms so the hotel is both classy, big abd yet exclusive. Hotel is or least looks brand new. We had booked a corner suite attached to a twin room and we had great views from our windows on all sides. Tokyo sits below us sprawling all the way to the bay.

The service was prompt, fast and yet exclusive. By the 2nd day, they seem to know all of us by name. Throughout our stay, the service conntinues to be first class. Concierge was friendly and knowledgeable about things and services in Tokyo. They even helped us to book our complete hakone tour and onsen accomodation, transfers etc.

Room had a modern decor and offered 10 kinds of diff pillows. Also offered 3 diff kinds of shower heads in their walkin shower. Rooms were large and spacious. Only complain we had was that there were no english movie or cartoon channels or even sports or golf channels at a minimum.

The gym was small but state of the art,,,throughout my stay, i was the lone phantom of the opera togther with the trainer.

Location : in the midst of bustling nihonbashi surrounded by shopping and more shopping, it was both convenient as well as plenty of food choices around esp at the Credo building directly across. Served one of the best shabu shabu in tokyo using their own famous pork. 7 courses of porky heaven. The hotel bakery which my girls frequented was if a high gourmet standard. the breads and cakes were both pretty and yummy.

Room service (though more expensive than the tons of restaurants immediately outside) was fast and superb. Prepared a full dinner for 4 of us in 20 mins in peak dinner time. Something i could never concur at all our usual 5 star hotels we are so used to.

We have stayed previously at the suites at Park Hyatt in Shinjuku and Grand Hyatt in Roppongi but this hotel's service beats them hands down,,,

Room Tip: Corner suite room with windows on all sides,,,may be a little more narrower than the other rooms but...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank vincentlau
Reviewed December 16, 2012

after a couple of weeks hiking in the Japan Alps and sleeping on the floor in little Japanese inns - the charm quickly wears off - my sister and i checked in to this hotel.It is on the upper floors of an office building, and I can hinestly say that I cannot faulty it in any way...sure, its downright expensive (dont use the mini bars or restaurants ) go out, and use 7-Eleven to buy provisions...but in all else it is wonderful.Ni complaints at all, and the views are spectacular over the wonderful city of Tokyo.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank jimmhk
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I cannot fault this hotel. The staff are second to none. Especially their Concierge, Setsu Waga.
I needed to get tickets for a gig while on holiday in Japan. However I could not find a website in English to purchase them and when I asked the hotel how to go about it, Setsu Waga offered to purchase them on my behalf.
The trouble she went to was surely above and beyond her job description. She was meticulous, going to the trouble of mapping my journey, explaining how long it would take, printing out my seating and giving me directions. I cannot say enough good things about her.
The hotel itself is perfect and we had a superb view of the city.
After 16 hours in the air, the bar was fantastic to relax in and get a bite to eat. Try the crab cakes!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2012

The best service in any hotel (Budget, Luxury, Resort, you name it) we have ever encountered so far. Everyone went over and beyond to make us feel at home. At the end of 3 nights, we felt they were part of family. Number of staff members even came to our cab to send us off. The concierge was ready with all the details we had discussed prior over email. Another plus; the location of the hotel is awesome; Lot of interesting stores nearby and has a very bright/fresh vibe. The subway is right in the basement and so very easily accessible to Ginza, Asakusa, Shibuya, Harajuku etc. without even having to transfer trains. The breakfast spread was one of the best and taste of the Japanese options and the fresh chocolate croissants was phenomenal. We also stayed in 'The Peninsula' and also visited 'Park Hyatt' during the same trip. The service levels there are unmatched to that of MO-Tokyo. The rooms are a bit underwhelming for the property of this stature.

Room Tip: Mt. Fuji rooms might be great to get a view of the magical mountain.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zatazoto
Reviewed December 1, 2012

The only reason I stayed at the Madarin Oriental was because a colleague dared me to break my habit of staying at the Four Seasons. Staying at the Mandarin Oriental broke that habit … for good. This place is amazing. The level of service is unsurpassed. From the warm greeting you get as you step out of the cab to the flawless in-room check-in to room, the service is flawless. The staff is polite, friendly and unobtrusive and makes every moment relaxing and enjoyable. The room is well designed with a large sofa, working desk and very comfortable bed. Turn down service leaves the room ready and waiting after a long day at the office with relaxing music and aromatherapy oils creating an oasis of tranquility. The bathroom has a large soaking tub and walk-in shower with plenty of towels, comfortable bathrobes and useful amenities (particularly if you forget shaving foam!) The best part of my stay was when I walked into the room to be greeted by the sun setting behind Mount Fuji. I have seen Fuji on many occasions but this view is literally beyond description. The buffet breakfast was excellent with plenty of choices and the usual perfect service. I didn’t dinner eat at any of the restaurants but have promised myself to try them on my next visit. Room service food was excellent. Try the mild Japanese vegetable curry … yummy! The lounge was also very comfortable and served a good selection of wine and cocktails. It was a bit smoky but that is just one of those things. I’m going back to Tokyo next week and have already canceled my booking at the Four Seasons … I’ll be staying at the Mandarin Oriental from now on.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces Mount Fuji and hope for good weather!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank The_bald_gourmet
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chuo
Shangri-La Hotel, Tokyo
The Peninsula Tokyo
The Peninsula Tokyo
#6 of 78 in Chiyoda
Four Seasons Hotel Tokyo at Marunouchi

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo? Share your experiences!