“A very nice place to stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sumisho Hotel

Sumisho Hotel
Ranked #80 of 85 Hotels / Ryokan in Chuo
Nashville, TN
“A very nice place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Sumisho was chosen based on other reviews. It was an excellent choice. While it is a bit of a walk from the station (and, thus, requires a bit of navigating), it is in a good, quiet location. We used Ningyocho station, and it's about five minutes or so; it's about ten minutes from Mitsukohsimae, and twenty or so from Tokyo. All of this depends on your walking speed, of course, and your luck in catching the lights.

The room was small, with three single beds, which is exactly as described to us when we made the reservation. We found the beds comfortable, and the heater worked nicely. Service was excellent; the staff were very professional and friendly. What we really liked about the hotel was that there was a public bath on the ground floor. Our room had a shower/tub (large tub, too), but having the bath on the ground floor gave the place the feel of a ryokan (inn), rather than a tourist/business hotel. There were Japanese-style rooms available, too, so I think the hotel has much older roots than it's modern facade indicates.

Overall, a great place for the money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank worthj1970

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Innsbruck, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We were very happy of this choice. The location is very convenient. The bath very nice.
It is located very close to the subway station where the grey line passes. This line is one of the most useful to visit Kyoto. The neighbor quiet and nice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Grife0
Luzon, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

Sumisho Hotel, Nihonbashi, Chuoku, Tokyo it is a good staging area for exploring the east side of Central Tokyo. The hotel is a little difficult to find being located in a side street. The hotel is a no frills typical Japanese hotel, with windows but no view, with bath for men and women and a small restaurant with tatami mats. The triple occupancy room we occupied was a bit tight, with practically no place to walk after we opened our luggage. Yes, it took some serious space management to make room for 3 people. But we did not really care, after all we only used the hotel for sleeping as we were out most of the day. And yes, one has to shower sidewise to avoid elbows hitting the shower walls. Vendo machines and ice dispenser are conveniently located in very floor. The front desk staff speaks English and are all very helpful and courteous.
The hotel is located in an area with lots of restaurants, fast food and Japanese specialty restaurants, noodle houses, coffee shops and bars. The hotel is within walking distance of the Imperial Palace, the Tokyo Station and even Ginza for the more adventurous traveller. For trips far from the hotel (e.g. Akihabara, Harajuku etc), a subway station is about a block away, the Ninyocho subway station.
No traffic noise within the hotel being located away from the main streets. While smoking is not allowed in the rooms, it is allowed in the small lobby and smoke can seep into the room. The lobby has that stale cigarette smell.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank OWSI
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

Stayed with a friend for three nights in Tokyo. Centrally located and a short walk to the subway and key attractions such as Imperial palace. we loved it so much my friend stayed back there at the end of our trip once I had flown out.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

This is our first trip to tokyo and we spent 6 nights in this hotel. We have a toddler and we booked ourself in a traditional japanese room. Three of us enjoy our stay there. The Japanese style room is bigger than western room. The staffs are helpful. If you want to experience the japanese life, you shouldn't miss the japanese style room. The hotel provides all the basic you need and we have no complaint about it. Well, possibly the hotel should prepare more teas. We love the experience to fold and unfold our futon everyday when wake up and go to sleep. I thought we will not get use of sleeping on futon, amazingly, it's very comfortable.

The hotel is close to everything. We took only the Tokyo Metro Hibiya line (Ningyocho station) to most of the attractions. You can buy the daily Tokyo Metro to travel around the tokyo city, cheaper than getting JR pass if you are not travel other areas in japan. In addition, there are heaps of foods nearby and it's cheaper than other places like Ginza or Shinjuku. If you need anything, staffs are very friendly to help. And, don't miss your trip to the Mitsukoshi shopping complex especially the food court. Those desserts and pre-packed foods are so fabulous and pretty. You would lost control and have difficult to make the decision which one to buy. It is so easy to stroll around the neighbourhood. There are 'treasures' and 'hidden jewel' in those alley. Dont miss it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank stylishee
wa2sea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Arriving after dark alone at the Tokyo JR station was all I imagined. The throngs of commuters increased to a crush as I neared the street level after ascending the 5 or so escalators rising from deep underground. Knowing no Japanese was a concern, but Japanese and English were both on many signs and maps in the station and on the streets. After a long look at the station map to orient myself to adjacent streets, I finally ventured out into what appeared to be a Times Square like cityscape. My goal was to find my lodgings for the night, a ryokan, less than ten blocks from the station. Walking in Tokyo was pleasant even at night. I felt perfectly comfortable. I found the Sumisho Hotel without much difficulty. It is a lovely Japanese-style, small hotel, although it has some small Western-style rooms too. I wanted a Japanese-style room, and I stayed only in ryokans throughout my 2-weeks in Japan, expect when I enjoyed homestays in Nagoya, Aomori and on Hokkaido. I returned to the Sumisho at the end of my trip for a final night and half day in the city. While I had little time at the start and end of my trip I enjoyed many of the most beautiful places in Tokyo. Every aspect of this visit was rewarding. Here is a sampling of the places I visited. Tokyo destinations: Ueno Park and its museums, the Ginza shopping area, the Imperial Hotel and its shops and restaurants (the Viking celebrated its 50th year), Emperor's Palace, Asakusa Temples and Meyoko market. All of these destinations were reached by foot or subways.

I felt compelled to visit Japan and Tokyo. My great-aunt traveled alone around the world in 1959 and she spent 2-weeks in Japan, so I wanted to retrace her trip 50 years later, hence the need to go in 2009. I also wanted to climb to the top of Mt. Fuji, and the closer offer to go, was to head north once there to help a friend build a strawbale guesthouse on Hokkaido near Ahasikawa. All of my goals were reached, and every destination was more beautiful and rewarding that the last. Even though this was my first trip to Japan and Tokyo, it will not be my last.

2 Thank wa2sea
sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

We stayed 2 nights at the Sumisho Hotel and found it a very friendly place. The level of English at the Hotel was quite sufficient for our requirements. They staff made every effort to understand and accomodate us. We opted for the Japanese Style accommodation, just for the experience. This entailed rolling out your Futon mattress each night - this can be somewhat hard on the hips unless you have ample padding. The rates were quite reasonable. We didn't get to use their Japanese Baths, nor did we use the restaurant, so can't comment on these aspects.

Getting there from Tokyo Airport was not as difficult as I had imagined. We caught a Limousine Coach to the Tokyo City Air Terminal (TCAT) and a Taxi from there.

We had a very enjoyable stay and would recommend it.

• Liked — Friendlyness of Staff
  • Disliked — Thin Futon mattresses
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)