“Disappointment at Hotel Monterey Ginza”

Hotel Monterey Ginza
Ranked #15 of 91 Hotels / Ryokan in Chuo
Singapore, Singapore
“Disappointment at Hotel Monterey Ginza”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Last week, i stayed at Hotel Monterey Ginza and was very disappointed of the room type I booked online didn't much what I selected and when I asked the front desk staff, she claimed it was correct. Honestly, I have been staying with Hotel Monterey Japan from Fukuoka, Osaka and In Tokyo, I often stayed at Hotel Monterey Ginza La Soeur Ginza and thought I gave a try at next block. However, I found the front desk staff were a big disappointment as they were not helpful, lack of TCAT limo bus schedule knowledge and at time, they pretended not to attend to our questions. I was not the only guest who feel it because I booked 3 rooms and 2 of my friends who stay at La Soeur felt the same. We still like Hotel Monterey but will go back to La Soeur instead on Ginza because the staff there are friendly and knowledge. I hope this feedback help Ginza staff to change their attitude. Best, Andy

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lim A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Ginza is probably one of the most expensive place for any retailer but that does not have to be when it comes to hotel. Very much affordable for someone who is on a budget but requires a central location in Tokyo. Hotel is not that big but it's comfortable.

The hotel is walking distance (about 10 mins) to Tokyo station. Tokyo station is one of the central places to take the train if you plan to visit outside of Tokyo.

The hotel is just around the corner from shopping centres with plenty of food choices and shopping, if that's your thing. I stumbled upon this hotel when i was searching for hotels in Shinjuku as that is where i usually go to. But since the hotels there were fully taken and the ones left costs as much as my plane ticket, i decided to go with Hotel Monterey. Would definitely check them out again if i am heading to Tokyo.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Oh B
Rockhampton, Australia
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We love Ginza in Tokyo. It is much quieter than other major areas. This Hotel is convenient to Tokyo Station..you can walk there from the station. There are 2 convenience stores right there for you to pick up essentials. It is handy for moving around Tokyo. The rooms are clean, and staff are friendly.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rockyqld
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Hotel is in a very good location. close to major shopping area and access to trains.
The customer service is very poor. When checking in they want you to furnish the reservation details. I gave them my name and told the front desk that the reservation was made online. Instead the girl directs me to a computer in the front lobby to retrieve my reservation from my email and i had to pay 100 yen to access the computer. Also we were stuck in tokyo during the recent snow storm and had to return back to the hotel for an extra night. we came back about noon and was told that check in time was 3 pm and that for every hour early that i checked in , i would have to pay 1000 yen extra. After some heated discussion with the front desk they allowed us to checkin at about 1pm without further fees. I would not stay here again just based on the poor service of the front desk.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
toronto
Reviewed February 2, 2014

My husband and I stayed 3 nights in this miserable room. I assumed too much , I guess, but this room had a double bed which was accessible from only one side and the foot. I had to climb over my husband to get in and out. While sleeping I had my nose up against the wall. There was absolutely no shelving, drawers, or ledges to store clothing so I lived out of my suitcase which I set on the one chair, piling unnecessary stuff on the floor underneath. Hotel itself is fine old building . Lovely staff and service, fine breakfast, great location. Bathroom is quite roomy . All is clean. Temperature in room is too hot and couldn't be adjusted

Room Tip: Make sure that you know the dimensions of the room and the bed and that there is storage space for c...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We are a family of 4, with kids age 11 and 14 and have recently stayed at Monterey Ginza in 2 occassions, each time booking 2 rooms each that we requested to be next door to each other or at best close by. We were more than happy with the size of the room, taking in consideration that it will be compact. In saying that, we have stayed at other hotels in Japan that was much much smaller! The cleaning staff is to be commended for the great job they do. We requested non-smoking room/floor and not a whiff of smoke was smelt. Wifi was available in the rooms so a hit with the kids, as they can vege out and use their mobile devices after the day's outing. Our 1st day was for 4 nights, at the start of our trip and we were happy with the hotel that we booked another 2 nights for the last leg. We opted out of breakfast, but plenty of options available across the road. There are 2 convenience stores which are open 24 hours, kids were happy to have croissant/pastry with a hot chocolate or there's a Dotour cafe (franchise) opposite that do a coffee/hot cocoa and toasted sandwich for 380 Y before 10:30am. Location was great as well, lots of eateries close by, check them out in nearby streets, lots of choices. Easy access to Tokyo Station to catch that Shinkansen or from Narita Airport. Staff were helpful in assisting us with forwarding luggages and/or storing them. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 9th floor on our first stay, then on the 6th floor on our 2nd stay.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank dcrv
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed January 23, 2014

When we arrive on July 18-22 of 2013 I was very scared as I heard people smoke in hotels in Tokyo and I have asthma. Well my worse fear came true, In our first night in Tokyo my room and none smoking room had smoke came all over the room from people down the hall. I had to sleep with a mask and cover my face dying from my asthma, so I couldn't sleep. The next day I went to the front desk and ask them to move me to a room far away from smokers, because no matter how far the smoke come thru the vents. The staff was very nice they move all our luggage for us so that we didn't lose any time of our travels. When we came back to the hotel they had moved every single thing and my new room was smoke free, not even any smell thru the vents, all clean air and even a bigger room. The rooms are small but this room was big for Tokyo standards. I really love the location was quite but had everything. We had the train station in front, also stores, restaurants. everything very convenient and clean. I wish the staff spoke more English but Japanese people are so nice that you don't even need to know the language. Fantastic trip!!!! we just wish they didn't smoke. lol

Room Tip: Make sure to tell them about the smoke free rooms, far away from smokers if you don't like it!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple