Review Highlights

from $139.00
from $125.00
from $124.00
More Info
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed May 10, 2016 via mobile

Did a cooking class with my boyfriend at Mari back in March. We absolutely loved it and Mari was an amazing teacher. Mari made us feel so welcome in her home and the whole experience felt so personal compared to doing this with a big group. It was so lovely being taught how to make traditional Japanese food and now that I have the recipe I will definitely be making it again. All of the food we made was delicious. Mari even taught us how to serve Japanese food and plate it correctly. I enjoyed learning about Japanese cuisines and traditional cooking methods. Mari ended the cooking class with a beautiful dessert she had made and even gave us all a little gift to take home. So glad we did this cooking class. It was a lovely experience and very rewarding.

2  Thank Jackaroony
Reviewed December 25, 2015

The group of 5 (2 Brits, 2 Aussies and 1 Belgian lady) met Mari at the subway station and were taken to her apartment. She offered us tea and explained about the ingredients that go into a typical Japanese meal. Each person was given one or more tasks to help prepare the meal. My task was cutting onions which I did badly, as in Japanese cooking onions have to cut really thinly.

After some hard work mixed with general conversation we sat down to taste the food. I can honestly say, it was one of the best meals I have ever tasted. We even had a desert made from coconut and banana which Mari prepared plus some Chocolates from Papua New Guinea which I provided. These proved to be quite popular with the group.

This was my first day in Japan and a really enjoyable experience. Mari is a great cook, a kind host with a lively personality.

2  Thank PJaLondon
Reviewed December 19, 2015

did a class with Mari on my last day in Japan. Fantastic end to the trip - the experience of cooking and eating in a local's kitchen, hearing about the different foods and how they are used and in the end, eating delicious food. Mari is extremely knowledgeable about Japanese food and provides detailed guidance and explanations on what she is using and how. this is a must do if you are interested in learning more about the local cuisine.

2  Thank Dbth2
Reviewed December 2, 2015

Visited Japan with my wife and wanted to try a Japanese cooking class. Mari's class was very well reviewed and her website was easy to access and use for English speakers. I emailed her ahead of time and luckily she had an opening for us. The class itself was very informative and fun. There were 6 of us in the class from all over the world: Hawaii, California, Germany, Australia, a good mix of students. We did a lot of the food preparation and Mari helped us while cooking the dishes. We made several different dishes: a salad with homemade dressing, soup stock, a marinated pan-fried fish main dish. Mari also made a fancy dessert for us at the end.

Mari is knowledgeable and she includes many key details as to why the Japanese cook the way they do. She has a lot of info on what types of ingredients and where to get them. She even assisted one of the students locating a knife shop to pick up a Japanese-made chef's knife. Her English is very good, did not have any trouble communicating at all. All in all, it was a very good experience and well worth it. Highly recommend the experience.

2  Thank swamifish
Reviewed November 15, 2015

Marry's cooking class was one of the best experiences we had in Japan, and allowed us to bring a small piece of Japan home.

Mari is incredibly friendly and outgoing with grade A English and a great sense of humor. She is also a top notch chef, with years of experience, formal training in cooking around the world, and a recently published popular cookbook (yet you'll never hear about it from her). The food we cooked under her direction was one of the best meals we had in our month long stay.

Don’t let that scare you - her class is incredibly and approachable for beginners and advanced amateurs a like. Her explanations are very clear and thorough, with plenty of room for questions. She gives ample background information about the dish’s history and role in Japanese cuisine. She spends time discussing the technique and the different cooking utensils we will use. At least two talks (before and after the cooking) were spent going over the various ingredients: where do they come from, what is their function in the dish, how to choose them, and of course - how to substitute those hard to find outside of Japan.

The class format was a group of 6 people. We started with a short introduction. Mari went over the dishes we will cook, when (and how) are the dishes served, and then gave out tasks for different prep work and cooking. We had two main dishes and several side dishes, so each person had several things to do, and participated in nearly all dishes (which is something that does not happen in some cooking classes we read about on TripAdvisor).

We had a great group with plenty of stuff to chat about, and made sure to swap tasks between us, so everyone could take part in all the dishes. Mari went from person to person, giving pointers and correcting technique, making sure to call other group members to pay attention for important tips. Obviously, Mari printed the full recipes for us, with plenty of space to scribble additional remarks.

We set up the table and talked some more over the incredible meal we cooked. We had a blast talking to the other participants and Mari herself. We talked about cooking, about travel and about Japan. In many ways, this class was a cultural experience as well as a foodie one. After another round of questions and answers about what we had just made, Mari served a surprise French dessert, which was amazing, and gave out packages with more stuff to take home.

This was a great way to end our trip, and we are eager to invite our friends for a Japanese meal, to flaunt our newly acquired skills and ingredients.

4  Thank Sirotnikov
Reviewed November 9, 2015

I heard about this class online at TripAdvisor, and I'm really glad I did this class. Mari's apartment is located to Tsukiji Fish Market (which is also a must-do), so I visited the market in the morning, and had a sushi breakfast there. Afterwards, I walked to the station where we're supposed to meet (about 1 mile/1.6km away). There, I met with Mari and the rest of the class. In my class of 6, 2 had taken the class before, and are taking it again on their next visit to Tokyo. From this, I was sure that the class was going to be a memorable experience.
Mari was the sweetest lady ever, and the class was absolutely fantastic. She invited us into her home, and had all the ingredients laid out and ready to be prepared. I've never really had experience cooking before, but I was still able to contribute and help make the course. After cooking all the food, we sat down and all ate together. It was delicious! I'll have to try to replicate this meal in the future.

If you're looking for great conversation, a lesson with real, traditional Japanese home style cooking, Mari's class is the place to go. I loved it!

3  Thank Joshua H
Reviewed November 4, 2015

My husband and I had a wonderful experience cooking with Mari in Tokyo. She is an absolutely delightful personality, her English is excellent, and she definitely knows her cooking - both Japanese and Western. Taking this class gave us insights not only into how to cook Japanese food but Japanese culture and daily life in Tokyo. First, we learned how to make the essential basis of much of Japanese soups and sauces, dash broth, and then moved out to a whole Japanese meal. We loved this class, and Mari made every minute count! This is a must do when in Tokyo for the first or tenth time!!

2  Thank ValerieCR
Reviewed November 2, 2015

It was a very interesting experience and delightfull meal. We learned some basics we did not known before, not only about japanese cooking but also about japanaese culture. Mari is a very good communicator as she makes the class enjoyable for everyone. Located close to the fish market gave us the opportunity to visit it before the class.

1  Thank José Antonio M
Reviewed November 2, 2015

Our family had a great time cooking with Mari. It was one of the highlights on our first trip to Tokyo. Besides being a great cook Mari is really good at describing Japanese food culture as well as the basics of cooking. We had a great time and bought some of Mari's cooking books as gifts for our family and friends at home - a great present.

1  Thank LaFamilia1212
Reviewed October 28, 2015

Instructor, Mari-san has a very wide knowledge about Japanese cooking.
She taught us various way of cooking even for one recipe.
It is very helpful when we cook the recipe again at home.

I really respect her kindness & passion about cooking!