“Best sushi I've had in Japan but...”

Sushizanmai Tsukijiekimae
Ranked #5 of 8,503 Restaurants in Chuo
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Description: Il Miglior Ristrante Vicino Al Mercato Del Pesce
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Not sure the address is correct for this unless there are multiple locations for this sushi place but I'm pretty sure it's not located where trip advisor has it located. Which is a real shame because wow, great sushi. This general area is the place for sushi so I'm sure you could get great sushi at many other places but this was recommended to me by a Japanese friend and it was for sure the best I've had in Japan after being to getting onto a dozen different places.
The fish was special, the texture was incredible, like nothing I've had before. And great flavours! The rice was magic and complimented the fish fantastically.
The menu has English and a lot of the Japanese is written in hiragana so not too difficult to read. Out sushi chef spoke enough English to communicate all that was necessary for us to order even though we did attempt Japanese.
I ordered fish miso soup and that is the BUT for me. It's a shame because it was toward the end of our lunch and grossed me out. It had all kinds of bits of fish the worst part being the big huge fish eyeball. I'm sure some wouldn't mind this and perhaps would even enjoy it but not me. I couldn't stomach anything after the eyeball experience.

2  Thank dakeyras

Reviewed January 16, 2013

I have been here 3 times and never been disappointed.
This is a truly Tokyo immersive fresh seafood experience.
My Japanese daughter in law first recommended this place as being the best.
The owner is well known in the fishing arena he just paid $1.7million for a TUNA can you imagine that!!!
BUT dont expect high prices and tourist traps here.
The door man was extremely welcoming to the 2 gaigin who walked up to him.He smiled and in good English asked if we wanted a table or to sit at the counter. The waitresses ( beautiful young polite ladies) quickly came over to take our order. OH! by the way when one enters the restaurant all the Sushi chefs in the clean pressed white uniforms welcome you almost raucously in the exhuberant Japanese manner (THIS SeTS the mood ) for THE EXPERIENCE. I can recommend the fresh seaweed miso soup it is delicious
there are many combinations of different sushi and sashimi platters at very reasonable prices and the menu is English friendly and has many many photos so there is no communication problem.
We chose to order Sushi by the piece so we could have our favorites. Also they specialise in tuna belly try it there are three grades delicious! there is also a tuna that is slightly and quickly seared with a flame giving it the most melt in the mouth flavour, you must try this.
At the end of our meal we were offered a bottomless green tea.
As we left the restaurant we were exhuberantly farewelled. What a fun time!

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Got into Tokyo late at night. It was around 10pm and I was fasting for real, authentic sushi, since I hadn't been to Japan in 10yrs. I was in luck because this sushi bar was awesome! They accept credit, since I needed to get to an ATM. So that worked in my favor. Wanted some good sushi before hitting Roppongi. Good sushi, good sashimi, good calimari, & good Sapporro Beer. Nobody spoke English there, but I knew some (rusty) Japanese to get by, order some tasty food & drink, and check out. I recommend for anyone in the Tsukiji district of Tokyo!

1  Thank Zexworld
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Sushi for breakfast at Tsukiji Fish Market had to be done and glad we chose this place. We bypassed all the lines at the popular sushi places and was more than happy with this chain. The sushi was great (smoked eel was my favourite, salmon for my husband) and the chef was a real character. We got by with ordering in English (numbers and pointing to the menu) and the menu had English on it.

Reviewed November 23, 2009

I've been there last summer for two times, the best sushi i have ever eat in Japan in 20 days! Keep dreaming that place, just slightly higher in price than other restaurants of the same type but the gain in quality fully exceed the price difference.

Last the worm atmosphere make you feel you at ease from the start when the itamae welcome you alltogheter at the entrance to the sweet woman who greet you when you leave .

I'll be back there for sure on my next trip to Tokyo!!