“By far the best value 5 Star hotel in Tokyo”
Review of Royal Park Hotel

Royal Park Hotel
Ranked #11 of 92 Hotels / Ryokan in Chuo
london
“By far the best value 5 Star hotel in Tokyo”
Reviewed November 17, 2010

I have stayed at the Royal Park for some years. It is very convenient, next to TCAT, and has a subway station in the basement. It is veyr very good value, executive room, free breakfast and wi-fi, Yen 25,000. Same price for 5 years and under half the so called posh hotels, Peninsula etc. Typically good service, comfortable rooms, good range of restaurants, pricey, but that is the exchange rate. Good pool, Japanese Bath , Massage, Gym, etc. Also efficient aircon, which I really like. Only problem is there are now 6 executive floors, and 6 ordinary floors, which means the lounge is heaving during happy hour, and there can be a long line to check out.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed November 12, 2010

The hotel room is clean and comfortable with many nice amenities including English language newspapers and computers provided in the rooms. The staff is very attentive and helpful to the needs of the guests. There are many TV channels, but it would be nice to have CNN in English.

The hotel is centrally located with may restuarants and sights within walking distance. It also has a subway station accessible from the lower floor and one can buy a two-day subway pass at the front desk; this opens up all of Tokyo to the traveler.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Southeast Florida
Reviewed October 19, 2010

I thought carefully about the theme for this review and decided NOT to make it a Hilton comparison. I'll let the facts speak for themselves.

I was stuck with it. Having stayed at the Hilton before in Shinjuku and knowing what level of service there to expect, I dreaded staying at another hotel, regardless of the travel agents promise of the "Luxury Rating" An experienced traveler knows better.

The Friendly airport limousine (It's a bus folks, not a classic limo in the real sense) drops you off at the Tokyo Air Terminal (TCAT for short) It's a bus terminal, nothing more, with a few shops. Although the Royal Park is next door, signage is non-existent, and you cannot see the property from the drop off point. I knew it was there from reading Tripadvisor reviews, so I asked the Security guard for directions. and rolled the luggage across the street in the rain.
The lobby is sumptuous and Grand. It gave the impression of luxury, wide spacious and full of light and restaurants.
Every staff member smiled at you and was eager to serve or help.
I was checked in quickly and a staff member assisted me to my room. I had asked for a king or queen bed, but none were available and had two double beds. Small disappointment but it had happened before.
It was curious to note that the Hotel still uses Brass Keys, no electronic locks for the guest room doors. It's a big key, so have a big pocket to carry the key in or drop it off at the front desk when you leave.
The elevators taking you to your room are quick and efficient.
The hallways of the guest room floors were very clean and had quiet music playing.
And then I arrived at my room....
The standard guest room is small folks. Not a surprise, as I had stayed in Japanese hotels before and expected this. What I didn't expect was the stained room carpets. Not one stain, but many stains. The carpet was clean, but the stains were permanent, a sign of very old, very used carpets long past replacement phase. The TV was all Japanese language channels, a fact that evoked a sigh until I learned of the special remote control buttons that produced other channels with some English and other countries broadcasts.
There was a mini bar in the room, which was good as they didn't provide ANY free water bottles, not even initial ones. As usual for hotels, mini bar prices were exorbitantly high.
The bathroom had a very cheap and flimsy curtain plus rod, the kind attached via pressure against the walls type. It was not permanently installed. The shower nozzle was attached to the faucet via a cord, as some European Hotels are wont to do. That would have been fine, except the cord length on this one was so short, my 6 foot 2 length required me to duck down and crouch to use the faucet head. I found myself laughing at the insanity of it all. The showers and bathrooms themselves were clean, however the very upper walls of the showers were covered in small dirt particles, as were the ceiling vents. As the housekeeping staff were consistently somewhat smaller in frame than the ceiling heights, this may have been unnoticed, but seriously needed attention. The toilet was very clean, but when flushed, produced a sharp briny odor, like sea water. It was fairly disgusting to inhale.
That first night, I noticed the bed was comfortable, even tho narrow and short for my body length. And then, as I began to fall asleep, the bites started. No, not one or two little pinches, it was continuous, like a swarm. I had disturbed a nest, I think, or maybe the room was full of tiny flying insects. In any case, I spent the night in complete misery because of those little pinching bites, sleeping little. I tried a shower again during the night, thinking maybe it was my skin that was dry, but as soon as I came back to that bed it was nibble, nibble, nibble.

The next day, I approached the hotel staff and complained of the bugs. They quickly offered a new room and at my request, on the same floor. I moved into the new room that same evening after a day at work. Same stained carpets and dirt on the upper shower walls, cheap shower rod, and faucet attached for a 4 foot high human being, but no bedbugs this time around. One night in the new room during a shower, the water went from warm to scalding hot. Be aware of this propensity in this hotel for this to happen.

A word about the gym. The Hotel had a spa, which contained a large workout room. The charge for using the treadmills, as I desired. was 1500 Yen. This irked me royally, as every property I stayed at was a free offer for only jogging or free overall for the gym. I paid the first day, and was treated to a series of equipment that was old and faulty. The treadmills slipped during usage. I noted this to the staff, but they did nothing to provide a service recovery such as a complimentary refund. Not even a thank you for telling them of the breakage. The next day, I found that the property was very close to a multi kilometer jogging path along the river. This path was fantastic, fresh air, and had a breeze to die for in the evening. I used this path from then on rather than the Hotel gym.

The hotel had several restaurants, very well designed and having a variety of food and drink. A complimentary drink and dinner special coupon was enclosed. Be aware that the dinner coupon does not exclude you from the Service Charge and Consumption Charge they tack on into your check. As the area has MANY fine eating establishments, I recommend highly eating outside the property for economy and variety.

The Hotel is on top of the Hanzomon Subway line, accessible by elevator within the hotel. It's ultra convenient for transit anywhere in Tokyo.

On my next to last day, I made use of the coffee shop for a take away cup. This was a major ordeal for some reason and took over 10 minutes to prepare an ordinary coffee in a cup. Once they had done so (and charged an appropriately high amount PLUS Service charge even tho the service was bad PLUS the Consumption charge) I walked away with my coffee and two small creamers. In my room, I added the creamers, noting as the cream fell into the coffee it was sour. Auuuuggghhh. I went back down to the coffee shop and produced the evil ruined coffee. Once again, no offer to recover or delight with customer service nor was there any apology for the bad coffee, just a much quicker replacement of the coffee and this time they used a cream pitcher with good creamer.

Check out day was efficient and service at the desk was fine. The transport to the TCAT next door was again a walk across the street with luggage. At least it wasn't raining this time.

In summary, I would not stay at this property again..ever, as the most disgusting occurrence to happen is being bitten by bedbugs. It didn't help matters that the few incidents that happened during my stay (the broken gym equipment which I had PAID to use and the sour coffee creamer which I PAID for) had no recovery in terms of delighting myself the customer or encouraging my future stays at the property. Perhaps they do not care about this or perhaps it isn't important to them. Overall I see a property that markets itself as "Luxury" but below the surface it needs serious upgrading of the rooms and service recovery related training to remain viable in a competition based market of hotels that already know these lessons.

Like the Hilton does.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank VisitedNewPlaces
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 19, 2010

We had a group of eight or so business colleagues at the hotel. Having the Executive Floor area to conference and unwind following day-long meetings was fantastic. The floor offers ample appetizers and drinks in the evening and the 20th floor breakfast in the morning was a great way to start the day. I wish every business hotel was this excellent! Of course, the price is hefty, particularly with the value of the yen vs. the dollar. But that is my sole complaint. I had altered our room arrangements when our daughter joined us and the hotel was very accommodating in changing our reservation to be sure to allow for a triple arrangement. They replied promptly by e-mail to all my questions prior to the trip and the concierge was terrific. Being right next to the TCAT was great for traveling to our conference center, to and from the airport, and later for the start of a short vacation.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed October 9, 2010

The main reason I chose this hotel was its proximity to the City Air Terminal, and it was a huge relief to basically step out of the terminal and be right at the hotel. The staff were very friendly and the room itself (standard double on the executive floor) was spacious with a well appointed bathroom (I'm over 6" tall and the bath was more than big enough for me). The hotel has a charming old-school feel to it, including plush, softly lit corridors and room keys that are actually keys (and weigh a ton). There was no street noise to speak of and free wifi on the executive floors was a definite plus.

The hotel's not particularly close to any major attractions, but it's right above the Hanzomon metro line (Suitengumae station, which you can access directly from the basement) which makes it easy enough to get to anywhere in the city. Tokyo Station is also close by (about a 20 minute walk or 5 minutes by subway, but you have to change to the Marunouchi line).

One thing to note, the hotel's booking conditions state that if a guest hasn't arrived by 8pm the hotel has the right to cancel the booking. I doubt they hold too firmly to this rule, but if you're going to be arriving late (as I was) it's worth emailing ahead to let them to know to hold the room.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Hastings on Hudson, New York
Reviewed September 26, 2010

concierge floor 4 nights
very convenient to TCAT bus station
close to subway but found this line to not go where I was going
20 min walk to Tokyo Station

friendly service but given wrong info on TCAT bus and Tokyo fish Market
building is well maintained but has an 80's feel to it
room had strong b.o. odor that never abated
quiet
nice Japanese breakfast
did not evaluate value

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 23, 2010

Convenient location, next door to TCAT. Excellent, friendly service throughout from doorman through to waiters and reception. Good spoken English. I recommend the Executive floor for its facilities, staffing and meeting areas.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chuo
Royal Park Hotel The Shiodome, Tokyo
#9 of 74 in Chiyoda
The Prince Park Tower Tokyo
Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Millennium Mitsui Garden Hotel Tokyo

Been to Royal Park Hotel? Share your experiences!