“Good choice if you are looking for a Marriott property”

Courtyard Tokyo Ginza Hotel
Ranked #8 of 91 Hotels / Ryokan in Chuo
Chicago, Illinois
“Good choice if you are looking for a Marriott property”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

My preferred hotel is Marriott and, unfortunately, I feel as though there are somewhat limited options in Tokyo. While I love the Ritz Carlton in Roppongi, my clients don’t always love their prices!! The Prince Sakura Tower and the Tokyo Marriott in Shinagawa are also options, but not as convenient or centrally located for my purposes. On this trip, I debated between staying at the Courtyard Marriott Ginza Hotel and the brand new Courtyard Marriott Tokyo Station. Ultimately, because I would have been checking into the Tokyo Station hotel on its opening day and I was concerned about delays, I decided to stay at the Ginza location – and it was a good choice.

Here is what I liked about the hotel:

• The front desk, as well as people throughout the hotel, spoke very good English, were friendly and helpful, and there were always several people working – so there was never a significant wait.
• The breakfast buffet was included for Marriott Platinum members and it was quite good. It offered both Japanese and western food options.
• The fitness room was small, but the equipment was clean and in good working order. There were several treadmills, as well as other machines and free weights.
• My room was spacious with a modern bathroom. It also had a safe that was big enough for a laptop.
• Wifi was fast and I never had to reconnect during my 5 day stay – I think this is one of the first hotels I have stayed in where that has been the case and I travel every week.
• The location was excellent – it’s within walking distance to subway lines, as well as to the Ginza. Plus, the airport limousine bus stops at the hotel.

There was one area where I thought the hotel could improve:

• The concierge - while I have read in previous reviews that she is quite good, during my stay it seemed as though she was never there. On two separate days, I was told that she was “off” and there was no replacement. On both days, I could have used her help – and, while the front desk did help, they didn’t have all of the information that I would have liked. I do think concierge service should be provided on a daily basis and I found it frustrating that she wasn’t working for so much of my stay.

Overall, this is a good choice if you are looking for a Marriott property. I’d love Marriott to consider a JW/full-service property around Roppongi, Shinjuku, or Ginza – there are some wonderful Marriott properties in Asia and I’d love to see one in Tokyo.

Room Tip: The 11th floor is the premium floor and was very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank SeeingTheWordFromORD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014

We stayed at this property at the end of 9 day trip. It was the 3rd hotel during this trip and by far, one of the best hotels I have stayed at, which is saying alot, since I travel every week. We were on the premium floor, the room was fantastic and the service great. Food offerings were very tasty and plenty to choose from. Marina, the Concierge was absolutely fantastic!!! She spoke perfect English which I appreciated very much. Very easy to get to everything we wanted to see and do in Ginza. Wonderful property all around.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank TravelingBamaGirl
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

Excellent location in the heart of the shopping district of Ginza. Very attentive service, wonderful breakfast buffet and most importantly a great nights sleep. Small but worthy gym on sight which is rare in Tokyo. A must stay!

Room Tip: All rooms are small, but very tidy. Noise levels almost none existent on all floors. I have stayed h...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Matthew W
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

This hotel is great if you want to go to the fish market and intend to hit the shops. As it wasn't our first time in Tokyo - hence we were more here to look around the shops, this is the ideal location. Everything was within walking distance and only had to take the subway once. The other plus point is the airport limo bus stops just outside the hotel so we didn't have to fight our way with luggage through the train station to Narita. The room is a little on the small side but hey this is Tokyo! Overall had a great stay

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

stayed there during Christmas, the location was superb pretty close to several train station. They also have direct transport from hotel to airport (with fee). The concierge was nice, gave me complete information and update you with information such as booking availability at restaurants.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Andrea W
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

This was not a great experience - I checked in with 3 business guests, running late for a dinner meeting, and the check-in was slow, confused and inefficient. Despite our bookings all being made by my Japanese office's travel agent, it was a painful process. And there was a further problem with my room (but thankfully not my guests') - my reservation, which was supposed to be for 2 nights, was only for 1 night. And they were fully booked for the following night. It's easy to say 'be pragmatic, mistakes happen' - but when you're left with no room for tomorrow it's not much fun. And it shouldn't happen: in hundreds of nights in hotels over the years, this is the first time it's happened and I've been met with a blank look from the (slow, vague) check-in staff. Not great.
But regardless of that, because that could be a one-off, how was the rest of the experience? OK, but no more. The room was new-ish, but tiny and extremely expensive. The location's good, if you want to be near the shops of Ginza, but otherwise I wouldn't bother. You can do way better at a number of hotels in Tokyo.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank plusfour
Castle Rock, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in March 2014. Convent location staff very helpful with excellent English. Rooms are just fine. The place is very expensive but I always stay at marriott's when I can. If you are going to drink save yourself a ton of money and go out the side door less than half block on left and visit the liquor store you can buy a whole quart of scotch for the cost of one drink in the courtyard. The same applies for food. Two dinners and a bottle of wine for less than one dinner at the hotel.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MODSYSBRO-1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chuo
Mitsui Garden Hotel Ginza Premier
Millennium Mitsui Garden Hotel Tokyo
Solaria nishitetsu hotel Ginza
Courtyard Tokyo Station
Daiwa Roynet Hotel Ginza
Odaiba / Shiodome / Shinbashi
Royal Park Hotel The Shiodome, Tokyo

Been to Courtyard Tokyo Ginza Hotel? Share your experiences!