“Gem of a place!”

Ranked #20 of 91 Hotels / Ryokan in Chuo
London, England, United Kingdom
“Gem of a place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Centrally located hotel within walking distance of Tokyo station, although nearest metro is Kyobashi (take exit no 6). Brand new hotel, well appointed though small rooms. I had a look at the single and semi-double rooms as they were cleaned and they are very bijou! We had a triple room which was a bit more roomy - two semi double beds and a sofa bed. Not much wardrobe space but the room had everything you needed, including giant TV screen. Internet was accessed via an ethernet cable located in the desk and there was also free wi-fi in the lobby.

There is a buffet breakfast for Y800 which is adequate, nothing fancy, though good value compared to what other hotels in Japan charge for breakfast. If you don't want to go for that, there are plenty of coffee shops in the area. Convenient to have a coin operated laundry on the lobby floor. Would book again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mayan K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Lihue, Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

Upon arriving at Tokyo Station, we took a cab to the hotel. We used iPad Maps app to communicate at which Sotetsu Fresa Inn we were staying. Later on we used hotel's business card as well. Staff helpful in calling cab and informing them where to take us. This inn is new (2011) and the rooms were clean. The three beds were good sized and very comfortable, although the room small. Shower ammenities were wonderful and women received a gift (face products) upon arrival. We did laundry many times and it was a nice surprise that the cost of the wash included the detergent that was automatically dispensed! Our party also reserved a double room, which was very small and hardly any room for suitcases. Breakfast in separate restaurant downstairs was perfect and for 800 yen it was reasonable. One morning we walked quite a ways in the early morning heat to a coffee shop and spent 3x more for less food. There is a family mart at the corner which was convenient and a ramen restaurant that stays open late, which prepared excellent food!

Room Tip: Suggest that couples request a room that has sofa bed (or triple sized room) and if you don't mi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Kauai23
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

I stayed in this hotel just for 1 night before flying back home but it is definitely on my list for my next visit. I booked via the hotel website and as I needed just 1 night I decided to take the cheapest option - single room for JPY6,500 which I found an unbelievable bargain considering the location. The room was tiny, probably the smallest one I've ever stayed in but it was equipped with everything you need with the typical Japanese efficiency. Across the bed there is a desk along the wall with TV, small fridge, hair dryer in the drawer, tea making facility in the little cupboard. There is even space for a small foldable stand by the door to put your suitcase on but there is no wardrobe, just few hangers on the wall. The compact bathroom had only shower but again it provided all the essentials, such as toothbrush & toothpaste, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner. Upon check-in, ladies receive a small pouch at the reception containing cleansing lotion, moisturiser, eye make up remover, etc. The room and the bathroom were spotless.
There are tea/coffee facilities in the lobby and a coin laundry. Staff were friendly and efficient.
I give this hotel 5-stars as I found it excellent for what I needed, it was fantastic value for money and it is in great location. I would definitely stay here again - maybe I would take double room for longer stay, though.

Room Tip: My room was on the 5th floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank nomad2212
Singapore, null, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

First of all, do not expect a big room. By Tokyo standards, our room was ok. Arrived at Tokyo Station with my wife and got to the hotel by cab. We were a little lazy.....all right I was the lazy one. The hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk from Tokyo Station.

Room was nice and clean, I was surprised to find an electronic "air moisturiser" in the room. You pour some water into the built-in receptacle and it will start misting in a while. Might be good, if the hotel staff puts up a simple translation from Japanese to English. I had to push a few buttons and make guesses. This was a huge plus for me, as I have sinusitis and really dry air in Tokyo was bad for me. (we were there in March)

Price was reasonable, or I am inclined to say "quite cheap" actually. JPY21,000 for 2 nights, double bed for 2 adults (if I remember correctly). We had limited time in Tokyo as we had been to Kyoto and other regions before returning to Tokyo. It was a really short walk of 10 minutes to the main streets of Ginza.

This hotel was recently renovated, so most fittings and stuff are quite new and working well. Front desk service was friendly and prompt. Slight struggle in my broken Japanese, but most of the staff speak basic English. So this was another plus. Coffee & tea making facilities, next to reception.

All in all, a nice hotel. Reasonable priced and very convenient spot.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hanlee123
Stockholm
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed here for one week with my boyfriend. Didn’t expect that much, after all, we didn’t pay that much, and this was Tokyo!
We arrived to Tokyo Station with the shuttle from the airport, and then we had quite a hard time to find the hotel. To start, they don’t have any names for the roads, so there was our biggest problem :) But we asked people on the way and they were all very happy to help. Japanese people are very polite and helpful! After maybe 30 minutes we found the hotel!
Check in went smooth and the staff was friendly. The woman at the front desk explained to us that it was Wi-Fi in the lounge area. There you could also find a coffee machine (free coffee between 3 pm-9 pm), and free toiletries.
Our room was clean, but very small! Though, I’ve heard that Japanese hotel rooms are quite small, so we were prepared. Same as in all other Asian cities we’ve been in, the bed was hard. Our “view” was a wall, but we didn’t really care. We didn’t spend too much time in the room. It was also a small refrigerator, a desk, flat screen TV. You could also connect to the internet via LAN.
The bathroom was also small, with a bathtub. Toilet was quite interesting with all the buttons you need when you go to the bathroom in Japan :)
Subway wasn’t that far away. We usually walked to the closest “Tokyo Metro” station. We didn’t go that much with the private line. The Tokyo metro map is another quest for you to solve though!
A lot of restaurants around the hotel, and we found a few really good ones. A lot of business people go here straight after work. It’s usually pretty good prices, and the staff speak a bit of English.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank everythingcounts
Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

My wife, baby girl and I stayed for 1 night in this hotel, but the experience was not good. Firstly when we arrived we discovered we'd paid over twice the going rate through venere.com - second time I've had trouble with venere - a 4* rate for a 3* property. We mentioned on the booking that we were arriving early in the morning (having flown overnight), but the message didn't seem to get through to the hotel and we had to wait until noon for the room. Then they charged us, would you believe, 3000 yen to check in early as their std time was (a quite late by international standards) 3pm. I've never been charged to check in early! Of course, this wasn't mentioned on the booking site. Check out time was also unusually early, at 10am, and we wanted to check out at noon (fairly normal) so, you guessed it, they charged us another 2000 yen! The room was ok, but it was clearly all about the money at this place - not good at all. Moved quickly to Mercure Accor Ginza, above the Ginze it-chome station and just down the road -- far better hotel and value.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Julian H
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

This is a nice Hotel, casual, very near to Subway and Tokyo Train Station.
Wifi only in the Lobby, really tiny room and tiny bathroom, absolutely no view (a wall right in front of our window...), ceiling very low...
But the service was helpful and attentive, the staff makes effort to speak English, everything was very clean and new. A lot of places where to eat around.
The TV has no English Channel.
No swimming pool.