“Excellent experience!”

Good for: Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Our visit was for Valentine's Day and did not disappoint! We arrived about an hour early to enjoy a cocktail the lounge and the lovely view. The food was excellent and the descriptions were in both English and Japanese. I read a few reviews that said they found the bilingual descriptions distracting, this was not my experience at all. I thought it was very well done and I really enjoyed all of the dishes. They change the menu seasonally and we can't wait to go back!

Reviewed February 11, 2014

We expected more fun than taste for the molecular dining at the Mandarin Oriental Tokyo. Surprisingly, the chefs achieved both with their creativity and skills. There were 2 seatings for dinner serving 8 guests per round. 18 courses in tapas style were prepared in front of us. The head chef is Japanese and his assistant is British. They explained their creations and chatted with the guests throughout the dinner. Watching them preparing the food in an unconventional way was very interesting. The food was delicious as well. We were told the menu will be changed every 3 months and we highly recommend this venue for an exciting dining experience.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

A sequence of great meals that were both delicious and creatively arranged / composed. My favourite was charcoal blackened cheese. Treasure hunt desert was also very entertaining.

1  Thank FlyingFlipFlop
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Our dinner at the Tapas Molecular Bar was one of the most unforgettable dinners we ever had. The quality of food is of course excellent, but what makes the difference is to see how the tapas are prepared; creativity in finding new ways to prepare food seems to be without limits. The dinner was very entertaining. (plus the location on 38th floor in central Tokyo makes a dinner there very special).
Downside for our dinner was that it got delayed from 8:30 to 9:00, ending only at around 23:00 which was quite late for a weekday (for us). Also the parking got more expensive as you only get a 2 hour parking service ticket. 30 min parking are 500 JPY.

1  Thank Germaninjapan
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Having lived in Hong Kong and San Francisco, we have been to our fair share of fine restaurants including Michelin 3 star ones, yet nothing compares to the food and experience we had here. We were lucky to be the first ones to try the Winter menu and as chef Peng has pointed out, we were their guinea pigs indeed.=)
The food was excellent from the first dish to the 20th. The experience is very unique because I never thought I would eat a leaf that taste like an oyster or have a fruit that enables me to eat lemon and lime with such delight. Everything was fresh and prepared with precision and care. Each dish is unique, creative and pleasing to the eyes. Some dishes were so pretty that I didn't want to eat them! My only gripe is that I wish the pace would be slower because I was busy taking pictures, and listening to the explanation of the dish which took up some time. When it came to eating the food, I want to take the time to savor it because it's simply that delicious!
I don't think there's one dish that we didn't enjoy but our absolute favorites are the espresso with foie gras and lily bulb with black truffles. The beef, lamb and "winter landscape" were also excellent.
I'd like to thank the chefs for coming up with such a creative way (the egg trick) to celebrate my husband's birthday, we both had a great time. I'm looking forward to going back to try their spring menu.

5  Thank Cecilia K