“unforgettable experience”

Tapas Molecular Bar
Ranked #1 of 7,942 Restaurants in Chuo
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Oberursel (Taunus), Germany
“unforgettable experience”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Our dinner at the Tapas Molecular Bar was one of the most unforgettable dinners we ever had. The quality of food is of course excellent, but what makes the difference is to see how the tapas are prepared; creativity in finding new ways to prepare food seems to be without limits. The dinner was very entertaining. (plus the location on 38th floor in central Tokyo makes a dinner there very special).
Downside for our dinner was that it got delayed from 8:30 to 9:00, ending only at around 23:00 which was quite late for a weekday (for us). Also the parking got more expensive as you only get a 2 hour parking service ticket. 30 min parking are 500 JPY.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Germaninjapan

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
California
“Best meal in life”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Having lived in Hong Kong and San Francisco, we have been to our fair share of fine restaurants including Michelin 3 star ones, yet nothing compares to the food and experience we had here. We were lucky to be the first ones to try the Winter menu and as chef Peng has pointed out, we were their guinea pigs indeed.=)
The food was excellent from the first dish to the 20th. The experience is very unique because I never thought I would eat a leaf that taste like an oyster or have a fruit that enables me to eat lemon and lime with such delight. Everything was fresh and prepared with precision and care. Each dish is unique, creative and pleasing to the eyes. Some dishes were so pretty that I didn't want to eat them! My only gripe is that I wish the pace would be slower because I was busy taking pictures, and listening to the explanation of the dish which took up some time. When it came to eating the food, I want to take the time to savor it because it's simply that delicious!
I don't think there's one dish that we didn't enjoy but our absolute favorites are the espresso with foie gras and lily bulb with black truffles. The beef, lamb and "winter landscape" were also excellent.
I'd like to thank the chefs for coming up with such a creative way (the egg trick) to celebrate my husband's birthday, we both had a great time. I'm looking forward to going back to try their spring menu.

• Visited December 2013
5 Thank Cecilia K
Tokyo, Japan
“Different but fun”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Took my wife to dinner for her birthday based on the recommendations on Trip Advisor. We are travelers that like good food but have never even come close to paying $350 for the two of us for dinner anywhere in the world. Despite that, I knew how much it was going to cost going in, and decided to take here anyway as it sounded like it would be a fun 'experience'.

Well I am happy to say we really enjoyed the food and the company of the Chefs. We were the only two that had reservations for our dinner, and had a very private, intimate evening that was definitely an experience.

The menu follows a theme and has a wide range of flavors, so it should be no surprise that we found some of the dishes exceptional, and some not to our tastes. It is clear the quality of the ingredients is fresh and exceptional. Some of the dishes are fun, some interesting, and all are aesthetically appealing.

I won't be regularly enjoying $350 dinners in the future, but I am always prepared to pay good money for a good memory. Likely wouldn't do it again, but for one time - It was worth it.

• Visited October 2013
6 Thank dianna_1970
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Fantastic culinary experience”
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

This is an eight seater dining experience, situated in the mandarin oriental's lounge bar, where the chefs expertly prepare the food in front if you. You get lots of explanation about how the food is prepared and a huge amount of detail goes into each dish which is why you pay a little more than the average restaurant. This is all about the experience and trying a few different, but incredibly delicious, dishes. Worth every penny!

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank Catherine H
Nimes, France
“Surprise your taste buds - spanish invention, japanese execution”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

No this is not a "japanese" restaurant - but given the name that should not come as a surprise. Instead it takes its inspiration from the spanish roots of molecular gastronomy and executes them with This restaurant has just 6-8 seats at a bar in the lobby lounge of the Mandarin Oriental hotel yet it delivers some of the most unusual, surprising and innovative tastes in Tokyo. The personal attention of the two chefs throughout the meal gives a high level of intimacy and service with the opportunity to learn a little about the cutting edge techniques used to create the dishes.

The meal consists of about 20 tiny dishes (with sensible wine pairing if desired). Some are exceptional, most good and one or two dont quite work but are interesting nevertheless. Star turns include the truffle croquette with hunting pig, an amazing one bite lamb chop containing its own gravy and a succulent langoustine which is probably the best I have ever eaten. Each dish is tiny yet we left the restaurant feeling pleasantly full.

Given the location and the amount of work involved in delivering such a complex menu the prices are lower than you might expect - about $140 for the food and wine by the glass at about $25.

The view from the 38th floor of the Mandarin over central Tokyo is stunning - worth arriving early for a glass of champagne and a window seat overlooking the electric metropollis

• Visited September 2013