“Excellent experience.”

Cuisines: Sushi
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We had the pricier omakase lunch menu. The chef which served us spoke only a little English but made great effort in telling us what every pieces were (and where the ingredients are from). Pacing was great as we were never without something in front of us for too long (well, except for once when he was occupied making a whole plate of sushi for three guests in the room), yet the meal never felt rushed.

The small crab which the chef has picked all the edible bits out, cleaned the shell and placed it all back in was particularly good. So were the uni & white prawns. And the Anko (?) fish liver. Just see the photos.

Service was great - my tea was often changed without my noticing, and despite our not knowing a word in Japanese, all the staff were courteous and nice.

The only thing that I would pick on is the environment. The marble stone walls kind of emphasized the basement feel of the restaurant, and made it slightly noisy due to stronger reverberation. I also liked the more intimate setting of Sushi Iwa in Ginza than here. Nonetheless, we had a very enjoyable lunch here.

Note: the restaurant have less than 20 seats. We called 2 months ahead (not speaking much Japanese) to book.

1  Thank Deinococc

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Sushi Kanesaka was amazing. My wife has a shrimp/crab/lobster allergy and they planned a modified menu just for her! The fish was the freshest I've ever had... fresh from Tsukiji that morning. The chef, Sanpei-san, was amazing. He spoke English very well, and had very warm conversation with us. He made us feel very welcome and talked to us about each piece he gave us. I loved this place and would definitely come back again.

We went for lunch, and got the most expensive menu set. Well worth the money.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We had the mid-priced sushi omakase menu. The tasting started well, with delicious tuna cheek and snow crab but quickly descended into a bit of a farce, both in terms of service and quality. The chef, who wasn't particularly engaging to start with, quickly lost interest and was slapping on limp uninspiring pieces of fish onto our plates. Petty it seems, but he forgot simple requests like 'no eel' for one of the guests. The clam soup was full of grit, and toro was second grade.

Ambience itself was terrible... Like eating in a car park. What a total waste of time and an opportunity for a good meal in Japan! Seriously, two michelin starred? this place was only marginally better than the standard london chinatown sushi joint.

We left feel distinctly ripped off. Come on guys. I know this is Japan and we are not Japanese, but we are paying over a hundred pounds a person for ten items. Get your act together.

3  Thank treddd
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Chef name, SAMAI or SAMA something, who looked fat and stubborn, is the worst man I ever met to have sushi & sashimi in Tyoko last month. He served something unprofessional, let say, kind of a turntable sushi and sashimi. He is too proud to serve food, in the end all the food tasted to me "NOTHING BUT EMPTY". I am sure that he will not succeed whatever he tries in his life. Vomitting turntable....ek ek ek....!!!

2  Thank hipower1960
Reviewed July 16, 2013

The sushi here is really good and served in a wonderful manner. It is expensive but then it is a 2 star Michelin restaurant so you cannot expect anything less. Apart from the price I really cannot fault anything else about it. A wonderful experience.