Review of Gyuan

Ranked #19 of 8,658 Restaurants in Chuo
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Description: Shop close. Sunday &. National holiday Lunch time Last order. 1:45pm Dinner time. Last guest. 9:00pm Reservation (only dinner). 5:30pm - 8:30 pm
Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

Got the sukiyaki course and was definitely worth it! One of the food experiences I've had in Tokyo and been living here for four years.

1  Thank Miya K

Reviewed August 6, 2014 via mobile

Basically what the headline says.
Absolutely top notch meat, I mean fantastic, but way overpriced if you consider some of the other places in the city. Guess it's part for its location in Ginza.
Very friendly, english speaking staff and a cozy interior.
I'd say it's worth a trip if you can spare the money, our meal cost about 30000 yen (2 people).
So a 5 for food and service, but gotta knock some points off for the prices.

3  Thank L S
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I had read reviews about the reasonable prices but even after splitting a couple box sets it came out to $80 pp, no alcohol. Which would be ok except we had 3 kids with us. Despite that, everyone loved every morsel. Even though the traditional methods of cooking involve some raw beef eating and eating the food dipped/served in raw egg, we all loved the flavor sand textures. Truly excellent. I would recommend making sure you are ordering a Kobe beef option, as some of the sets are non Kobe beef, and this restaurant is specially known for the Kobe beef, so go for it! Most of us had a mid price range box set of Kobe beef cooked at table but my brother had 2 cuts of filet brought to him. Both were among the best meat I've ever tasted! Enjoy the experience and ambience as well.

1  Thank Jade618
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I decided to splurge to try Kobe beef in Japan, having never paid more than $60 before for a meal, this $110 USD meal was quite a splurge! The meal itself was really nice, the atmosphere was great, the people very nice, the food delicious (though I have to admit, I found the Kobe beef not as good as the $40 japanese steak I had in Kyoto, but maybe it's just my taste that I prefer less fatty cuts).

Shortly after the meal, I started feeling dyspeptic, with a mild stomach discomfort and slight nausea, which I dismissed as just having too fatty a meal. But then 5 hours after my meal, I developed severe abdominal cramps and bad diarrhea, that kept me on the toilet for about 2 hours in the middle of the night. For how much I paid, this was definitely quite disappointing!

I called the restaurant to tell them about this, and the owner was very apologetic, but also kept trying to give excuses for it, which was quite unsatisfactory and made me even more unsatisfied. He said, maybe it was because I had traveled from somewhere else (I had only breakfast that day and hadn't eaten 8 hours before the meal), and tried to challenge me on the fact that 5 hours after the meal was too short (It's not, I'm a doctor and know these things), and that no one else had called, etc. I don't know why or how this happened, but given that I had barely eaten that day, and this occurred immediately after the meal, the time course is right. I would be careful of coming to this restaurant. And I don't think the owner handled it very well.

8  Thank Liz D
Reviewed July 21, 2014

I just had to have some Kobe beef and got some recommendations where to eat. This was one of them and I'm glad I went there. The restaurant was relaxed and felt genuine. I selected a five course menu with the filet of beef as the main course. It was very delicious. Best meat I have eaten. Service was good an they understood English which isn't always the case in Japan.
If you are in the area and want to eat Kobe beef I can recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank Jmw73