“The kobe beef meal got me sick with diarrhea and stomach aches”
Review of Gyuan

Gyuan
Ranked #10 of 7,942 Restaurants in Chuo
Cuisines: Japanese, Steakhouse, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Description: Shop close. Sunday &. National holiday Lunch time Last order. 1:45pm Dinner time. Last guest. 9:00pm Reservation (only dinner). 5:30pm - 8:30 pm
“The kobe beef meal got me sick with diarrhea and stomach aches”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I decided to splurge to try Kobe beef in Japan, having never paid more than $60 before for a meal, this $110 USD meal was quite a splurge! The meal itself was really nice, the atmosphere was great, the people very nice, the food delicious (though I have to admit, I found the Kobe beef not as good as the $40 japanese steak I had in Kyoto, but maybe it's just my taste that I prefer less fatty cuts).

Shortly after the meal, I started feeling dyspeptic, with a mild stomach discomfort and slight nausea, which I dismissed as just having too fatty a meal. But then 5 hours after my meal, I developed severe abdominal cramps and bad diarrhea, that kept me on the toilet for about 2 hours in the middle of the night. For how much I paid, this was definitely quite disappointing!

I called the restaurant to tell them about this, and the owner was very apologetic, but also kept trying to give excuses for it, which was quite unsatisfactory and made me even more unsatisfied. He said, maybe it was because I had traveled from somewhere else (I had only breakfast that day and hadn't eaten 8 hours before the meal), and tried to challenge me on the fact that 5 hours after the meal was too short (It's not, I'm a doctor and know these things), and that no one else had called, etc. I don't know why or how this happened, but given that I had barely eaten that day, and this occurred immediately after the meal, the time course is right. I would be careful of coming to this restaurant. And I don't think the owner handled it very well.

• Visited July 2014
8 Thank Liz D

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Gothenburg, Sweden
“Kobe beef at a good price”
Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

I just had to have some Kobe beef and got some recommendations where to eat. This was one of them and I'm glad I went there. The restaurant was relaxed and felt genuine. I selected a five course menu with the filet of beef as the main course. It was very delicious. Best meat I have eaten. Service was good an they understood English which isn't always the case in Japan.
If you are in the area and want to eat Kobe beef I can recommend this restaurant.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Jmw73
Johnson City, Tennessee
“Outstanding Kobe beef. Good atmosphere and efficient.”
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

While expensive (Kobe beef and salad around 85 USD) but was just remarkable and divine. Small portion but wonderful. Must try while in Tokyo. Need to remove shoes so have socks. Have low style or higher tables. Wonderful experience. We did not have our younger kids but there were some in the restaurant.

Visited July 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
“Best beef I ever had.”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

I can't really compare to other Kobe places since this was the first Kobe Beef I've had. Still, this was the best beef I've ever had in my life.

Very expensive, but totally worth it. You have to take your shoes off and you get a choice of high or low table. We picked the low table, and there's space for your legs underneath (basically a hole under the table) even though you're basically sitting on the floor.

One of the waitresses spoke English very well. We had some trouble paying by credit card at first (because it required PIN code), but they figured it out eventually.

• Visited June 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Delicious”
Reviewed June 28, 2014

Delicious beef in a traditional restaurant (you have to remove shoes but there are some western tables!). Not cheap and the meal was served quickly but a very enjoyable evening if you want to try Japanese beef in a more local setting.

Visited May 2014