WINNER WONDERLAND

Neighborhood: Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Toronto, Canada
“Worth the wait”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

This was not only the best sushi I had throughout Japan but also one of the best meals of my life.
We arrived at 5:00 am, having missed the Tuna auction. We waited for about an hour and a quarter. It was definitely worth the wait and honestly, it was part of the experience for us. The line was a mix of locals, including salary men and a famous Judo fighter who ended up seated beside us at breakfast, Japanese from other areas of Japan and foreigners from around the world. By the time we were finished at about 7:00 am we checked the line ant it had quadrupled from when we began so I imagine those arriving at that time had quite the wait.
We both ordered the larger Omakase experience. It was unbelievable. I think my favourite was the horse mackeral and obviously the otoro and uni but everything was wonderful. The chef in charge of our area was hilarious. He worked so quickly, like a true artist, but he also entertained us and made us feel like we were not just two people in a long line of people he would meet that day. Everything was so fresh and perfect. Others have commented on the price but I thought it was great value for the quality of fish and the types of fish presented. We left feeling incredibly satisfied.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Spicy_Rutabaga

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Yes it is a 2 hour wait”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

There is no getting around the fact that you will have to wait an hour or two to enjoy this quirky sushi restaurant. They open at 3 a.m. and close the line at 2 p.m. There are only a dozen seats inside, but also a fantastic array of fresh fish served by experienced chefs who thank you for waiting.

Wichita, KS
“Blew my mind...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

I told myself I wasn't going to visit Sushidai. No food is good enough to queue for 4 hrs. Nope, not jumping on that bandwagon. And yet, there I was...a foolish lemming.

I was unable to convince my husband to skip the tuna auction, so after hours of waiting around for the relatively brief moments that were already captured in countless boring youtube videos, we were winding our way towards the restaurant area of Tsukiji Market. Our fatal mistake was deciding to stop by to check out Sushidai's infamous line. Surely as early as we were (6:20a), there would be no line. Turning the corner, we encountered it...but it seemed innocuous...definitely less than 30 ppl. Their largest option was an 11 sushi set. I recall the famous Jiro Sushi has a 20 piece omakase, and the visit usually lasts 20 mins....so the wait here should be no more than maybe an hour...?

2 hrs later, we still had not moved. But I had checked out the other surrounding options, and really, this seemed the best value. Other places either sold less fish at a higher cost, or the quality was not the same. Still, at the two hour mark, I was ready to leave. My husband wanted to stay. He felt that we had already invested all this time, and at any minute, things should start moving. I wanted to ask the employee, but I suspected that she did not speak English. Well, imagine my surprise when she spoke perfect English. You'd think she'd give us a heads up.

Anyways, there's no reason to go into great depth about how incredible the sushi was. This singular experience has completely changed sushi for me...I was Eve biting into the apple of knowledge...There was no turning back. I expect that sushi is now forever ruined for me since none will compare. The fatty tuna will haunt my dreams.

But the interminable wait was ridiculous. I'll remember today fondly, but when I return to Tokyo, I will not repeat my experience. I think that while ppl are outside they're silently cursing the insiders for taking so long, but once they enter those doors, they feel a sense of entitlement to linger and enjoy their food for however long they wish. The staff are a congenial bunch and make no move to hasten the diners out.

I imagine the only ppl who would not suffer a horrible wait are the first 10 or so that are outside the door at 5a when Sushidai opens. If the thought of doing so for food seems ridiculous to you, then don't bother. O, and make sure you don't leave without eating two pieces of fatty toro.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank lilorchid82
Bucharest, Romania
“Out of this world sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

We found out about Sushidai from TripAdvisor, so we went there after visiting the Tsukiji Market, around 10AM. There was a line, of course, and we had to wait for almost 2 hours to get in. Me and my husband, we have a "no line" policy - we don't stand in line more than 15 min for anything, but when it comes to sushi, we decided it should be worth it after the incredible reviews. And IT WAS!! We ate the best sushi ever, especially that Fatty Tuna piece that I will never forget :)
We also liked our chef very much, he was a very lively and funny character.
Not to forget - as we waited in the line to get in, one employee offered everybody cold tea and umbrellas because it was a very sunny and hot day - we really appreciated it!
If it wasn't for the very long queue, we would have eaten there every day of our stay in Tokyo.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank ACodr
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Improve your patience to get one of the best sushi”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

My friend wakes me up early to enjoy the famous sushi restaurant . I cant image it s just 7am the restanrant has a long queue. And I cant image I havr to wait 2 hours to have sushi breakfast . Fortunately it s worth.. We are so interested in omakase style service. The chef is so professional to make dishes . All are good and live . My favorite is baby shrimps and seabass sushi. The weak point here is that there are a few seats in restaurant . Every turn has about 11 to 13 customers while there is almost hundreds of people on the day I came. After meals, we are served green tea and miso soup. They are great too. The price is not quite cheap but still fine . Unbelievable

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Theresa H

Been to Sushidai? Share your experiences!