“It's too touristy”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Reviewed April 27, 2012

This is the most popular Sushi canteen in Tsukiji Market, and probably every TV travel show, guide books, bloggers, etc. from overseas will refer to this establishment when visiting Tsukiji. But it is so overrated now. Back in the 80s this used to be a place where the in-crowd Japanese ate, which were mainly people working or shopping at Tsukiji market and Tokyoites, gourmet freaks and night owls. Good Sushi, cheap and a bit on the rough side. These days, all you see are overseas tourists and country bumpkins from Japan paying pilgrimage to Tsukiji market. The real Tokyoites or the market pros have moved on. I recall it being a lot cheaper too. Now it is over 3,000 yen (I think 3,800 yen) a meal and you have to wait at least 20 minutes. There are many other sushi restaurants in the neighborhood for this price (or lower) and the quality, even better. I'm not saying the Sushi quality here is bad, but for the price, ambience, etc. it is no longer worth it. It's a market canteen in the end of the day, and their prices are delusional. If it's not sushi your after, then try the Tonkatsu restaurant (more like a canteen) in the Market. Sorry, forgot the name, but it is famous. That place still has the charm of old Tsukiji, and it is still frequented by the locals.

8  Thank Jean M
There are newer reviews for Sushidai

Reviewed April 21, 2012

We stopped in at Sushidai on a Friday morning around 5:30 am and waited about an hour and a half for a seat at the bar (there are only 12 seats in this tiny restaurant). The party standing in front of us in line said a friend had waited 3.5 hours for a seat once! The chef was very friendly and engaging. We ordered omakase, and found everything to be of excellent quality. In no particular order we received; toro, uni, saba, aji, sawara, maguro, anago, tamago, hirame, tai, and kohada. We also got to select one item, which I asked for another serving of uni because it was so delicious.

The total bill came to 3,800 yen, which I thought was a superb value for the quality of the fish served. I suppose being located in the tsukiji market helps. If it were not for the line, I would definitely go back to sushidai again!

2  Thank volkswankin
Reviewed April 10, 2012

The sushi was excellent, the staff was very friendly, and it was an interesting experience. But in the end, this place is just not worth the wait if you have limited time on your trip. We waited 3 hours and 56 minutes between getting on line and being seated in the restaurant. I don't think any restaurant is worth that kind of wait. I would recommend skipping this place, giving another shop with little to no wait a try, and spending the 4 hours of time saved on some additional sightseeing. That said, if you're really committed to going to this place, get there around opening time at 5:00am when the wait should be shorter.

6  Thank vja3
Reviewed April 6, 2012

Well, this is my craziest thing to do for a food. I came to tsukiji at 5.30, the fish auction was closed. Walking around to find this place, where none speak english and help us to direct there, it took me 45mins walking around till someone punk told me where it is. Waiting 2hr in a freezing morning, and I left very soon after eating. I only have 3 days trip, and was on a tour, so don't tell me I have plenty of time. I didn't. My family look at the queue line, and they freaked out, not the line but waiting in the cold. They left, and I still fight for it.

I was praying and hoping I could enter before 9, since I need to run to my hotel and catch the tour. Its faster than I thought, I would say, I appreciate how they came out and gave us a hot tea, to keep up warm. Not much restaurant could do that, I was told to wait outside in one other bigger and empty restaurant but they didn't have a big table yet, while it was raining cats and dog and it was so cold.

Hmm. I can't say its the best, it is nice friendly and cheap for the price comparing other proper sushi restaurant in tokyo. But wasting 2hr in a cold?I don't think its worth it. I would pay more, but not to freeze outside. if you are a very well eater, dined in many sushi places, and ever tried those with michellin this and that than dai, than it won't be good.
But if you never spend 40usd for a sushi or tried any better than this, than may be this is will be your best one.

The lady who take notes of you, keep on looking at me, wondering why I didn't moan for its good taste, or keep on saying oishi like other people. They really wonder if I didn't enjoy my food. wanted to eat more to pay off my 2hr waiting, but remembering others out there, I prefer not to.

So will I be back here? I might be considering daiwa.

But hey, its worth the experience for me. come earlier like 5.30 or 6. They told me they open at 5. Its just outside in the lane no6. the wholesale market, so don't do a mistake like I did.

6  Thank beautifulmatters
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Been to Sushi Dai twice on two separate trips. First time got there a bit past 6:30am and had to wait a full 3 hours. Second time took the first train and got there before 6am, the wait was less than 1hr. The sushi obviously cannot compare to the top sushi spots in the city but for around 4000yen, the quality is quite decent (at least better than most i've had back in new york). HOWEVER, with the 2hr+ wait most of the time, I'm not sure it's worth it. The difference in quality from some of the places in tsukiji and the rest of the city at similar prices is not great enough to justify the wait.

1  Thank david g

Been to Sushidai? Share your experiences!