“One Michelin Star ”

Good for: Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Ginza / Tokyo Nihonbashi
Reviewed October 14, 2018 via mobile

Like most of the reviews, food was great and we enjoyed every bits of the meal. Staff there were able to communicate in English. On the night of our visit, this small restaurant was filled with local Japanese except for a foreign couple and us. Reservations are required. Do ask to sit at the counter to see the actions of the chef.

However, does the high price tag really do the justification?

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed August 18, 2018

My partner and I went for dinner and the prices for the 3 set menus were 13k, 15k, 17k from memory with the 17k set menu having 3 additional special tempura courses.

We opted for 1 of the 13k and 1 of the 17k. Overall the food was delicious (my favourite was the shrimp head) and the chef instructed us on how to eat each piece which was very useful. Service was great and when we asked for the name of the plum wine we were having, the waiter wrote it down for us along with the website.

The additional courses in the 17k set menu were not as tasty as the main 13k part of the course (but probably due to our unrefined tastebuds!)

Date of visit: August 2018
1  Thank Jithan V
Reviewed July 12, 2018 via mobile

The top of tempura.
The chef are incredibly good in theyr work, fast but extremely precise. It’s a show to see them at work.
The food quality is for sure the best possible.
However it still remain tempura. And is not acceptable to spend 400€ for a two people dine.

I’m happy to have been there once in my life, but I would not come back a second time.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed June 6, 2018 via mobile

I dined alone and was able to pick up an empty seat but don’t count on being lucky - a reservation is highly recommended.

This is a small place, seats about 17 people. Most of the seats are along the bar facing the open kitchen so you can watch the chef prepare food in front of you in Edo-mae style.

The food is amazing, there is tempura and then there is Tempura Fukamachi. I have been coming to Japan for 14 years and this is the best tempura I have had by a wide margin. High quality ingredients being perfected with a dash of batter and then deep fried.

Service is outstanding. Instructions are given how to eat each dish, with salt, with sauce or with lemon. Staff do speak English and there is an English menu.

Date of visit: June 2018
1  Thank Reslimpan
Reviewed May 14, 2018

We went for lunch, sat at the counter and had the mixed vegetable & fish tempura lunch selection. Everything we had was delicious. Our over rice dish to finish off the meal was eel tempura and our miso soup had tiny clams in it. Wonderful lunch. All the tempura was light and not heavy with either oil or flour. Everyone including the chef was very nice and friendly.

Date of visit: May 2018

Been to Tempura Fukamachi? Share your experiences!