“Good stay”

Hotel Ryumeikan Tokyo
Ranked #2 of 96 Hotels / Ryokan in Chuo
Reviewed October 16, 2013

It was relatively easy to get to the hotel from Tokyo Station. I was told to look out for a beige building but the exterior of the hotel isn't really beige. Just look out for the hotel sign at the top of the building.

As we reached the hotel around 7 am, we couldn't check-in yet but the staff were willing to keep our bags for us. We went back again at 12:30 pm, hoping that our room would be ready given that check-out time was 11 am and the housekeepers would have had some time to clean the rooms. But we were told that we had to wait for another hour. I felt that this was rather inflexible, especially since we saw our bags being transported to our room before the hour was up. It would have been nice if our room had given priority in terms of preparation since we had reached the hotel in the early hours of the morning and had been wandering around for sometime with no rest.

Aside from this initial hiccup, the rest of our stay was comfortable. The staff didn't have a good grasp of English, including the restaurant staff. But one of them was helpful enough to come to our room to personally show us how to access the English TV channels. He was also kind enough to check the TV schedules for us on the Japanese channels to see whether there were any sports programmes showing. Unfortunately, we didn't get his name but he was on duty at the front desk at 1:30 pm on 2 Oct :) It would be nice if the hotel expands the number of English TV channels as I saw quite a few non-Japanese guests staying there.

We stayed in the Forus room so there was no view. It was a bit disconcerting at first to look out and see the wall of another building but we got used to the lack of view. The shower stall (no bath tub) was awesome and was a key reason for me picking the Forus room. The comfort sleep system was over-rated - I didn't see how it would help to lull me to sleep. The items provided to us (e.g. bedroom slippers) were of good quality. The hotel was close to Tokyo Station and another subway station (name of which I cannot remember now) so in terms of travelling around and from Tokyo, it was convenient. There were also eateries, Starbucks and Takashimaya nearby so we felt relatively safe walking back at night.

All in all, if I do go back to Tokyo, I would consider staying here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Persephone11
Write a ReviewReviews (1,301)

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a total of 9 nights from late September, having chosen it for its proximity to Tokyo station and the positive comments I had read about it. Before commenting on the hotel, I have to add that I lived in Japan for many years, I speak the language and know a lot about the country (I went to college and worked in Japan), and now I came back to this country after an absence of almost 3 years.

Now, back to the hotel, I have to say my expectations were not high, but not low either, having read the comments of previous users, and basically what I wanted from this hotel was decent service and a roof above my head while travelling around Tokyo with a friend (I booked 2 identical rooms, single). Trying to be as objective as I can, I did not enjoy the experience of staying at this hotel for the following reasons:

1)The room was simply too small; while I knew this beforehand, I found the price too high given the very very small space. In other words, the room may have been acceptable but only for a lower price given its size. Also, or even worse, the room faced a brown or beige building so it felt like a prison, really. If I tried a bit harder I may have been able to touch the wall of the opposite building. As I said, I stayed for 9 days at Ryumeikan, but this period was broken into two periods (2 and 7 days), having travelled in Japan in between. After the first 2 days, I asked the staff to get me a normal room with some view, ready when I get back for the second stay. But upon checking in again, I had the same problem and I complained…it was really hard to make them yield, I was told umpteen times it was not possible, but in the end I got very angry and told them that I can get a similar room facing a wall in a cheap business hotel like Toyoko Inn, but it would not cost me 200 dollars but 50 dollars. At last, after 10 minutes of negotiations and anxiety, the front desk lady told me she would call me back in 10 minutes (probably she went to escalate the issue to the higher manager) and in the end I got a room with a view on the 13th floor (this one was on the 8th floor). So in the end, it WAS possible to get a better room, despite all the talk that it was impossible.

2)They asked for full payment in advance. When I checked in I had the option to pay by credit card or by cash; usually the hotels in Japan ask for your credit card and take a copy upon checking in, using it only if you disappear, but otherwise they wait until check-out and then they ask you if you want to settle by CC or in cash; at Ryumeikan, it was all upfront payment;

3)I included breakfast in my room package, and so I ate every day at the buffet restaurant on the 15th floor – the meal was identical every day, and by the 5th day I was getting tired of the choices available; also I found the price too high, basically 2500 JPY per person, I am sure the price of what I ate every morning did not surpass 800 JPY. Furthermore, on the last day I had to leave at 7 AM, so could not have the breakfast there (buffet opens at 7 AM), so I asked for a refund (why waste 50 bucks?) but they told me “impossible”; however, they stamped by breakfast tickets to be able to use them “next time”…I found this rather insulting and idiotic. Who knows when I will come back next time and what makes them so sure I will use their hotel?

Apart from these points, the hotel was clean and very close to the station. The shower had good pressure, the toilet very clean and all necessary amenities available. The staff were very polite, but then again this is how they are everywhere in Japan, there was nothing special about Ryumeikan in this sense.

All in all, I would not recommend this hotel for more than 1-2 nights. I think it should be good for people who want to be out all day and have a place to sleep at the end of a long day. I paid almost 20,000 JPY per night, but I would say the fair value of the room is closer to 10,000 JPY. But then again, prices are generally very high in Japan, so I had the option between a cheap and depressing business hotel of about 5000 JPY, Ryumeikan, or hotels like Hyatt or Shangri-La that cost at least 400 dollars per night. Given the choices available, Rymeiukan then is “relatively” cheap.

Room Tip: If you decide for this hotel, make sure you get a room on the 10th level or above, otherwise you ris...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Stefan L
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed twice at Hotel Ryumeikan on our recent trip to Japan, at the beginning for 4 nights from 22/9 and at the end of 1 on 5/10/2013. It is a fantasic base for a Japanese holiday. We had the same double room, western + Japanese style room which was large by Japanese standards, extremeky comfortable and the amenities were exceptional. All the staff went out of their way to help us.

Room Tip: Choose a room to suit the party - don't skimp.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We only had 1 night around Tokyo Station area and based on the glowing reviews for this hotel, we decided to book this. We were certainly not disappointed from the moment we stepped into the lobby on the top floor to when we got to our room and was greeted with the much anticipated Nespresso machine ;)

This being smack in the middle of the business districy of Marunouchi and Yaesu, the lobby on the top floor had impressive views overlooking the urban surroundings. Very nice touches in the various teas that guests could imbibe while waiting for check-in or out, both of which were hassle-free and quick.

We were a bit worried that the Forus Semi-Double that we booked from Agoda at USD190, would be a really tight squeeze but it was actually okay. So we bumped shoulders a bit but the little things that make a hotel memorable more than made up for the squeeze.

Firstly, the Nespresso machine with the 9 capsules beckoned and if you are a coffee addict, the smell of brewing coffee in the room would surely make your day. So I figured out what the whole "designed for comfort sleep" meant when I fiddled around with the various controls on my side of the semi-double bed. Ambient, dimmed lighting, soothing spa music and gentle vibrations at your feet will get you into sleep mode fast, unless you drank all of the 9 Nespresso capsules.

Other thoughtful touches included 2 sets of yukata (Japanese robes), fluffy slippers and toe spongies for the ladies who need to touch up their nail polish. The bathroom came with rainforest shower and massage jets and there was even a swivel stool to sit on in case you got tired of standing!

No view, but really I don't think you need it as you will be more engrossed with the sleep modules after the hot shower. Would definitely come back here again if I had to stay around Tokyo Station.

Just to point out though that from Tokyo Station, make sure you find the Yaesu North Exit. The hotel is on the opposite side of the road on the left, past the Family Mart and Excelsior Cafe.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank lagoontan
Reviewed October 14, 2013

On arrival, we were immediately greeted by staff and made to feel special. I was surprised by the large size of the room; I had heard stories about hotel rooms in Japan being tiny. This room was quite similar to a standard-sized room you would find in the U.S., and we had booked the lowest-priced double. The room had lots of extra amenities such as comfortable robes and pajamas, origami paper and instructions, funky postcards, all of which were a nice touch. The toilet had all the gadgets one expects in Japan, although it was a bit surprising the first time the toilet lid went up on its own. Overall, I was extremely impressed and wish we would have been in Tokyo for more than one night.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cpieper
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We booked a "universal" room but was upgraded to a standard twin. We were pleasantly surprised at how spacious the room was. The twin beds were very comfortable. The bathroom was so smartly outfitted that we didn't mind that it was small. The best part was the amenities, which were nicely tucked away in drawers in the bathroom. I was thrilled with the Shiseido makeup remover, cleaning foam and creams. Men have their own shiseido stuff! Our room was quiet even though it was near the elevators. The proximity to Tokyo station made this a top choice. The Maronuchi subway station is just a block away. Please remember the subway entrance/exit name or number or else you may end up walking a few blocks to get to the right place. Tokyo's underground is a whole city in itself!. If you crave Italian food, there is one with Japanese name only at the end of the block where the hotel is (towards Tokyo station) Surprisingly good Italian food. Cash only.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Catlady88
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Very conveniently located across from the Tokyo station, right next to the airport bus stop and only 15 minutes away from the Imperial Palace, surrounded by bars, convenient stores and restaurants, the Ryumeikan is a real find. We decided to book the deluxe corner room (which is great value if you can book a few months in advance) and it was perfect. Beautifully furnished, spacious, quiet and light and with a high tech toilet! It was a wonderful bedroom to return to after a day's sightseeing.
The staff were all courteous, helpful and very welcoming and all spoke perfect English. For a Scot, I was surprised and delighted that I could have haggis and all sorts of British fare in the London Pub on the ground floor.
If you going to Tokyo, I recommend that you order your room now at the Ryumeikan for great value, great location and great service.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chuo
Mitsui Garden Hotel Ginza Premier
Hotel Niwa Tokyo
Hotel Niwa Tokyo
#9 of 78 in Chiyoda
Millennium Mitsui Garden Hotel Tokyo

Been to Hotel Ryumeikan Tokyo? Share your experiences!