“Great experience”

Ranked #9 of 522 things to do in Chuo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I loved this fish market, but you need to get up early to maximize this experience.

Tuna auction is fun to watch (5 AM), seeing all different kinds of fresh sea creatures is great, but the best thing is having fresh and awesome sushi at the nearby restaurants -- I'd recommend waiting in line for Sushidai.

It's also conveniently close to the subway station.

1  Thank Tunaidi
Write a ReviewReviews (1,377)
All reviews
in 5 reviews
"small sushi"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Had sushi at one of the restairants and it was really delicious. The fact it was close to the fish market made it very appealing in terms of freshness

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Tip: have sushi in Yamasaki. High quality and reasonable price. No crazy lines.
Pros: very interesting cultural experience.

The market is already very busy at 9am. So I think that is a little ridiculous to go there at 5am.
Some vendors are rude with tourists.
We went there around 8am and we could see lots of action. And products. Namely fish and veggies.
Around the market you can find some ramen and tempura restaurants very populars among locals. And cheap.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

The market is within 5 minutes walk when you get out of the subway station. When I arrive the market, it was later than 8 and the auction was over already. But I still walked around the market which sells fresh fish. It was a pretty interesting tour. Then I walked to the back street and toured around. There are a lot of small shops selling traditional Japanese snacks and China. After a good walk, I felt hungry so I stepped in a random restaurant which looked like having relatively good business. I ordered a fixed menu bowl with a variety of sashimi fish layered on top of the rice. I am from New York and I always thought that NY at least has decent sushi. However, my understanding of sushi changed after I had the first taste of the fish. It was so awesome that I even don't know how to describe it. I was sitting at the counter and there were a lot of local people there ordering by pieces. One person told me that he lives nearby and it was his breakfast. The fish was really fatty so make sure you do not eat too quickly. The most wonderful thing is that the whole fish bowl only cost $15USD. Make sure you do not miss this part if you love food!!

1  Thank mangotreebaby
See more reviews
Reviewed May 27, 2013

the tsukiji outer market is a fantastic experience. a short walk from the station, there is an information center where you can get maps and souvenirs. the maps are coded so that you can easily find what you are looking for -- tamago, sushi, knives, fresh fish, etc. beside the info center, there is an enclosed smoking area and an open area with benches and vending machines where tourists can rest.

there many things to try on the spot, like kani tamago on a stick. there are also lots of things to bring home, like bonito flakes and flavored nori. of course, the star of this show is the fish. the best Japanese restaurants don't hold a candle to the small sushi places here; the fresh seafood spells the difference. the fatty tuna is like the pescetarian equivalent of kobe beef, and the anago (saltwater eel) sushi is a salty-sweet heaven.

my only regret is that I did not taste more. the mind was willing...

1  Thank fkt7